Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you have IED syndrome?

Scrat
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Do you have IED syndrome?

So now if you get pissed off and toss the lawnmower they think you're a psychotic and want to sell you pills.

Anger disorder more common than thought
    Tue Jun 6, 2006 1:47 PM BST
    Email This Article | Print This Article | RSS [-] Text [+]
    NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - A surprising number of Americans suffer from a psychiatric disorder marked by angry, often violent, outbursts, -- called intermittent explosive disorder, or IED -- a national survey suggests.

Based on the findings, up to 16 million U.S. adults may have the condition. People with the disorder erupt in reactions that are grossly out of proportion to a perceived provocation -- attacking another person, threatening others with violence or destroying property.

Until now, there had been no good estimates of how prevalent IED is among Americans, and the new findings indicate that it is much more common than experts have suspected.

The survey, published in the Archives of General Psychiatry, included a nationally representative sample of 9,282 U.S. adults. Standard diagnostic interviews showed that when IED was broadly defined -- three or more outbursts in a person's lifetime -- 7 percent of respondents had suffered the disorder at some point.

Just over 5 percent met a narrower IED definition of three anger "attacks" in one year.

On average, these men and women started showing signs of IED at age 14, which means that early diagnosis may be vital to preventing the long-term consequences of the disorder, according to the researchers, led by Dr. Ronald C. Kessler of Harvard Medical School in Boston.

IED commonly preceded other mental health problems such as depression, anxiety and substance abuse. And while 60 percent of survey respondents with the disorder said they had received psychiatric treatment for some emotional or substance abuse problem, relatively few -- 29 percent -- ever got help specifically for their anger.

The implication, according to Kessler and his colleagues, is that people with IED are typically being treated for problems that arise secondary to the disorder, rather than the IED itself.

An important question, they conclude, is whether early detection and treatment of IED can prevent later depression, substance abuse and other mental health problems.

Since IED so often arises at a young age, the researchers write, early detection "would most reasonably take place in schools and might well be an important addition to school-based violence prevention programs."

Pinky
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Re: Do you have IED syndrome?

Holy cow! Surely everyone has the odd fit now and again? That's just human nature. I remember last year I got really annoyed. I was late for work, it was boiling and I couldn't turn my bike around to get out of the courtyard because Si's bike was one side and the slightly rotten manky pincnic bench was in the way on the other side.
    I tried for about ten minutes to get the darn thing round enough, and it just wasn't happening. I guess I should have said something along the lines of 'Oh fiddle! This is so irritating!' But instead I kicked the table to bits and sent it flying.
    Rational? No. But it made me feel better.

SnoozeControl
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

I get p*ssed off every now and then, but I've never even come close to attacking someone. I can't even remember throwing something in a fit of pique.

Scrat
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

I love the way drug companies advertise. They go to somebody and pay them a lot of money to do a study blah blah blah.

If you listen to these people you'll be in big trouble. They have a pill for everything you can think of and according to them YOU have everything they ever thought of.

I'll admit it. I have IED, I also have XYZ and PDQ in conjuction with ABC. And I am not on any meds.

Watch out, I am not in control of myself. That is because of ICM.

Humans blow up at times, humans get depressed and sad at times. Drugs are a substitute/crutch for delaying the cure of these conditions which usually lies within the individual themselves.

This has to confuse kids also. We sit and tell them drugs are bad for you while we are sitting there munching on a handful of them.

SnoozeControl
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

There's even a drug for 'social anxiety' ... funny, I just called it shyness when I was growing up. So what's more effective? Some expensive medication, or a glass of wine at a party?

Hmmm, I think I prefer the wine.

Peg
    Currently Offline
    Proud American
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time
    04:36 PM
    Gifts Car Gift Cocktail Cocktail Cocktail

Register to remove this ad.
    This has to confuse kids also. We sit and tell them drugs are bad for you while we are sitting there munching on a handful of them.
    Excellent point Scrat. That is why it is important to explain to children what you are taking and why. Not only is it important that kids understand some drugs keep you alive, but it also helps in case of emergency so they can tell 911. Unfortunately, we live in a society where there is a pill for everything and some doctors are prescription happy. Take medicine for IED and the kids are going to think they need it for a normal temper tantrum.

+ Reply to Thread