This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time
    03:54 AM

Speaking in tongue

Has anybody out there witnessed somebody speaking in tongue? I personally have never heard anybody speak in tongue, and am wondering whether the participant was aware of it afterwards. Although it would probably happen in the sanctity of a church so I'd be perfectly safe, it would probably scare the living daylights out of me!!

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time
    08:54 AM

Lightbulb Re: Speaking in tongue

Quote Originally Posted by weinbeck
    Has anybody out there witnessed somebody speaking in tongue? I personally have never heard anybody speak in tongue, and am wondering whether the participant was aware of it afterwards. Although it would probably happen in the sanctity of a church so I'd be perfectly safe, it would probably scare the living daylights out of me!!
    I have never witnessed anyone speaking in tongues but I have a friend who does and she says it is just the Holy Spirit talking through them in words that nobody understands but they don't need to understand because the Holy Spirit does. It's not scary but I don't think I would be comfortable with it.
    miriam

Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    .................Charles Mingus

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/enter.cfm?

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time
    03:54 AM

Re: Speaking in tongue

Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    I have never witnessed anyone speaking in tongues but I have a friend who does and she says it is just the Holy Spirit talking through them in words that nobody understands but they don't need to understand because the Holy Spirit does. It's not scary but I don't think I would be comfortable with it.
    Doesn't it say thoughthat there is supposed to be one who is able to advise others what is being said, or something along that line? It too late at night for me to dig out my Bible, but I think somewhere in the book of Mark. I know there's reference to it in Acts, but I think there are a couple of other places in the Bible also. Not scary?? It's almost like having Jesus in your sitting room!

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time
    04:54 AM

I have heard people speaking in tongues many times. I have also been given "instruction" in how to do it... in a class I took called Power for Abundant Living" Speaking in tongues is the external manifestation of the internal presence of holy spirit. It often is a hoax, just put on as a show. At the Last Supper the apostoles spoke in tongues and those present heard words in their own languages. It was a miracle.In some charasmatic groups tongues is more like a babbling that escapes the lips of believers so overcome with emmotion that they are out of control. It is not frightening, but I agree it is uncomfortable. Tongues is also a form of praying quietly for some. Instead of trying to put feelings into words.... it is a quiet and private utterance of feelings directed to God from the heart of a believer. The gifts of Holy Spirit include Tongues, Interpertation of Tongues, Prophecy, Word of Knowledge, Word of Wisdom Faith Healing and Miracles.Speaking in tongues out loud is pointless if it cannott be understood by those listening. To me, it has no place in any public gathering. But that is only my opinion. Anything that causes confusion, fear,or doubt is not proof of the presence of God.

Peg
    Currently Offline
    Proud American
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time
    07:54 AM
    Gifts Car Gift Cocktail Cocktail Cocktail

I was around 12 when I went to a church with a family friend and they were speaking in tongue. It scared the snot out of me and I told the lady preacher so.

tmbsgrl
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

I haven't ever heard anyone either & I am not to comfortable with anyone doing it around me.

is married, middleaged, and moody..lol

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time
    06:54 AM
    Gifts Gift

my inlaws go to a holiness church. the first time i ever visited there, it ireally freaked me out. during the middle of the sermon several older members got up and started speaking in tongues. all i could think was, OH no!!!. i literally held on to the pew with both hands. it is not something i ever care to particicpate in.

is married, middleaged, and moody..lol

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time
    06:54 AM
    Gifts Gift

the surprising part was all this chaos was going on all around me and nobody reacted to it at all. i know i spent that morning with my mouth hanging open, especially when this one little ole lady started doing a jig around the church.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time
    04:54 AM

Hi. Speaking in tongues is understandable to all present. Babbling is not speaking in tongues. Acts clearly describes the event when the apostles spoke in tongues. They knew it was happening because everyone understood the apostles. There was no language barrier.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time
    08:54 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    Speaking in tongues today, people can understand the words that are spoken, just not the meaning of the words. I suppose like a highly educated person can speak with long words and sentences with obscure meaning and someone without a college education might not understand what it is all about even though they might know the words or some of them. I know
    miriam

Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    .................Charles Mingus

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/enter.cfm?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast