This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    10:19 AM

Re: Matthew 12:40

In the ancient style of writing numbers were not necessarily intended to be taken literally They were used to show, say time, now or later or even later.. That is how it was done. Literal reading is a joke as it asks us to believe the absurd. Yes there are a few historical facts in the Bible and the stories were meant to convey messages. Myth=a story used to present a truth. Legend is a story that is based on some historical fact but of course embellished etc.

Ted
    Currently Online Now
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time

If one is to understand the ancient writings one has to do a lot of research and thus gain some knowledge of what they are talking about. That is not too be critical to any one that is simply the way it is. Reading the Bible literally leads one to all kind of absurdities.

Ted
    Currently Online Now
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time

When it comes to the theology of the Risen Christ that too needs some understanding. Was a resuscitated corps walking around. Of course not but that is not to deny what was an is intended by that story which is a midrash.

Ted
    Currently Online Now
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time

My reference to ":word games" is rather simple. I was not aware that I was writing a legal document or affidavit to be made a legal document. Thus I used simple words that most (most) people understand.. One should study the "historical method" of reading and understanding historical events. It is not an exact science. It is based on probability.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    01:19 PM

Someone new looking in may know of examples.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time

The Messiah said that 3 night times would be involved with His time in the "heart of the earth". However, there are those who believe that the Messiah died on the 6th day of the week and who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb or at the earliest to the time between the leaving of His spirit from His body and His resurrection on the 1st day of the week. But this belief allows for only 2 night times to be involved. To reconcile this discrepancy some say that the Messiah was using common Jewish idiomatic language. I am simply asking for examples to support that assertion; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime or no part of the night time could have occurred.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    06:19 PM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

What puzzles me is your choice of where to ask.

This website is populated by users for whom reeding is their personal equivalent of Rocket Science, who are barely aware that other languages exist, who have never doubted for a moment that God wrote the King James Bible and who know in their bones that an unjustified opinion is worth more than a page of relevant facts any day of the week so long as it agrees with their own prejudices.

We are not a gathering of Ancient Near East academics. Even those who register here to talk with us are not ever Ancient Near East academics.

The other delusion you may be operating under is that ForumGarden exists, like a wall in a run-down urban waste ground, as a suitable location for fly-posting in order to get a message seen by passers-by. It is not. ForumGarden is a community run much along the lines of a recovery drop-in center for practicing meth addicts and the talentless graffiti you see around you is all our own work apart from the "I Will Survive" mural in the rest room which is copyright Gloria Gaynor 1978.

I hope this explanation has been useful.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time

spot,

Although you didn't address your post to anyone, I think it may be intended for me.

re: "What puzzles me is your choice of where to ask."

The "Religions & Beliefs - Christianity" category seemed like the most appropriate forum.

BTW, are you a 6th day of the week crucifixion advocate?

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    06:19 PM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by rstrats View Post
    BTW, are you a 6th day of the week crucifixion advocate?
    I'm baffled anyone has ever thought the crucifixion was on the day after the Passover. It makes no liturgical sense, it makes no symbolic sense, it abandons any concept of sacrifice, it's totally corrupt.

Obviously the sacrificial lamb is slaughtered before the onset of the High Sabbath, or Passover Night. That, on the year of the crucifixion, is what we in the West refer to as Wednesday prior to dusk. The Lamb of God is then entombed for three days, what we in the West refer to as the daylight hours of Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and three nights, what we in the West refer to as Wednesday night, Thursday night and Friday night. The open tomb and the Gardener are found before dawn on Easter Sunday, i.e. after rising from the tomb once the Sabbath has been completed at dusk on Saturday and Jonah's prefiguring three days and three nights have been accomplished. Jesus at that point has performed all of God's ritual requirements of Messiah and can bring in the End Times which was his intention from the beginning. It's such a blatant attempt at magic that Frazer's Golden Bough ought to have had an entire chapter devoted to gods voluntarily dying. Oh, wait. It did.

I'm sure there's books about this.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    spot,
    re: "I'm sure there's books about this."

What is the "this" that you think I am asking about?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast