This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time
    07:39 AM

Matthew 12:40

Whenever the three days and three nights of Matthew 12:40 is brought up in a “discussion” with 6th day crucifixion folks, they frequently argue that it is a common Jewish idiom for counting any part of a day as a whole day. I wonder if anyone (who thinks that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week and who thinks that the "heart of the earth" means the tomb) knows of any writing that shows that a phrase stating a specific number of days as well as a specific number of nights was ever used in the first century or before when it absolutely couldn't have included at least parts of each one of the specific number of days and at least parts of each one of the specific number of nights?

Banned
    is New year ... Same Jj.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time
    02:39 PM
    Gifts Balloons Cocktail Heart Balloons Paintbrush Beer Gift

Re: Matthew 12:40

As an atheist, my first thought was to answer: "Why?" However on second thoughts I decided to give you my answer.

Based on what Luke 23:54-24:1 said ie: ... It was Preparation Day, and the Sabbath was about to begin. The women who had come with Jesus from Galilee followed Joseph and saw the tomb and how his body was laid in it. Then they went home and prepared spices and perfumes. But they rested on the Sabbath in obedience to the commandment.

24 ... On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, the women took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb and it was Preparation Day, and the Sabbath was about to begin.

Jesus’ wife Mary and the women who had come with him from Galilee followed Joseph and saw the tomb and how his body was laid in it. Then they went home and prepared spices and perfumes. But they rested on the Sabbath in obedience to the commandment.

Also at the time those who heard Jesus say “three days and three nights” in Matt. 12:40 probably didn't properly understand a full 72 hours.

Anyway, what does it matter when the prophet Jesus allegedly rose from the dead? Sunday or Monday … who cares? He wasn’t really dead.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time
    01:39 PM
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

As an atheist my first thought was wonder if he knows matthew didn't actually write the gospel that bears his name. Then I thought why bother if he was that interested he would have done his own research into biblical history.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time

Someone new looking in may know of some writing.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time

I should also add: "...and who thinks that Matthew 12:40 is using common idiomatic language."

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Tired

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time
    06:39 AM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by rstrats View Post
    I should also add: "...and who thinks that Matthew 12:40 is using common idiomatic language."
    Of course, the problem begins with the idea that Jesus was speaking in (probably) Aramaic, the common tongue of the region at the time. The verses in Matthew were written in Greek some years after the event, and then we are reading an English translation, from centuries later, done by "learned scholars".
    I read somewhere that the statement was more like "the bowels of the earth" rather than "heart...", but the translators were concerned that such language would offend the faithful.
    As for the "three days and three nights", that seems fairly straightforward.
    "You don't need to know all the answers. Nobody is yet smart enough to even know all the questions."
    - Anonymous

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time

Someone new looking in may know of some writing.

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Tired

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time
    06:39 AM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Good luck with that.
    "You don't need to know all the answers. Nobody is yet smart enough to even know all the questions."
    - Anonymous

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time

jones jones,

re: "Anyway, what does it matter when the prophet Jesus allegedly rose from the dead? Sunday or Monday … who cares?"

One group who cares would be those who use a first day of the week resurrection for justifying the change of observance from the seventh day of the week to the first day of the week.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time
    01:39 PM
    Gifts Beer Cake

Register to remove this ad.
    I don't even see the 'Rising From The Dead' as being anything miraculous anyway.

It's not uncommon these days to come across people who suffer some severe trauma, go into a coma & then come around a week or so later, just feeling a bit bruised & disorientated.

Although in Christ's time survival of such trauma would be less likely, but certainly not beyond the realms of possibility.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast