Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: does the media affect the publics perception of crime?

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-17-2014
    Local Time
    01:29 PM

Red face does the media affect the publics perception of crime?

Hello guys!!

i am doing a project for media at the moment, and for it, i want to find out how far crime documentaries and news reports on crime, shape fears, anxieties, and paranoia in its audiences.

could you guys give your views on this if poss!! thank you so much! i'm very greateful!!

michaela xxxx

So much to learn!
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-17-2014
    Local Time
    05:29 AM

Re: does the media affect the publics perception of crime?

Quote Originally Posted by michaela
    Hello guys!!

i am doing a project for media at the moment, and for it, i want to find out how far crime documentaries and news reports on crime, shape fears, anxieties, and paranoia in its audiences.

could you guys give your views on this if poss!! thank you so much! i'm very greateful!!

michaela xxxx
    I live in a neighborhood where people can’t remember the last time a house was burglarized or the police were called for violence. If all I knew was my neighborhood, my view of crime would be much different than it is.

The news media focuses on the most dramatic, extreme and sensational events, giving us the impression that those kinds of crimes are very commonplace. Many people live in fear of the crimes they see on TV, read in the paper or hear about on the radio when, in fact, there is nothing to fear where they live.
    Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-17-2014
    Local Time

Thumbs up Re: does the media affect the publics perception of crime?

Thank you ever so much! thats very inciteful and i look forward to quoting you in my essay!!
    xxxx

I think, therefore I post
    is is back at school.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    04-17-2014
    Local Time
    08:29 AM
    Gifts Cake Certificate Balloons Paintbrush Kitten Cocktail Paintbrush

The media overhypes crime stories, and spends little air time on good stories. Certain neighborhoods where crime statistics are high are always given top coverage, giving a worse perception of what that area could really be like.

If I really want to know the true story behind a crime in the area around my school, I listen to my students-then take into account their usual amount of exageration, and get a better estimate of the problem. It also helps me with the day ahead, and if children will have anxiety about something that went down in the neighborhood the previous eveing. Some horrendous news stories are never completed-they tell the grilling facts, play it up for a few days, then drop it for the next hot item. For example, there was a shooting of 2 students at the high school across the street from my school last year-the story was played up for 3 days on the local news, then dropped when no suspect was ever caught. The true story never came out on the news, months later I got it from the staff and students! I wanted to know, one of the victims was a former student of mine!

flopstock
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

The media reflects the publics fascination with crime. mass media is a profit making machine. They feed us what we will buy. The public is embarrassed to admit this fascination and is disgusted by medias focus on it, yet if a media outlet refuses to show or display the crime prominently the public will flip channels or move on the the next publication immediately.

is is back at school.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    04-17-2014
    Local Time

That is so true Floppie, the public loves watching that stuff. I think my main news stories contain the daily weather report, and that is about it. (except during the hurricane disasters) Have to watch the weather, to know when snow days are here!

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-17-2014
    Local Time

Talking Re: does the media affect the publics perception of crime?

Thanks guys! this truly is great.! i can use this as discussion material as a whole different set of primary research..

i'll try n think of sum ideas 2 throw in to move the direction of the convo lol..

hmmm...

oh, do you think, that like, it is the media solely that hype up and sensationalise major crimes, or do you think in a way, its just as much to do with how people talk about it? like, i've been watching the news (which aren't as sensationalising as docus) and they talk quite neutrally - monotone and they try not to use too many describin words when talking of someone at the centre of a crime... so do you think that maybe, its actually that the news etc, put the idea into people heads, but the talk and gossip of the crime is what actually scares people??

xx

is is back at school.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    04-17-2014
    Local Time

What news station are you watching? The majority of news stations have definite bias, it is in their monotone, you must listen to the words they are saying, the slight pauses before the say a certain word.

Example:
    A person arrested for a horrible crime, the news reporter's dilaogue:

Newsperson X: Over on the south side today, the police apprehended the *pause* suspected arson from the fire that killed *voice rises a little* 3 innocent victims during an arson.

I have never heard a monotone newsperson yet, look for the nuances there. Flip the channels for more coverage, and try stations from other countries if you have access.

Media print: same story-monotone printed words, containing the slant they want to portray the story. It is there, common knowledge to the locals who read the papers, choosing their preferred slant.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-17-2014
    Local Time

Lightbulb Re: does the media affect the publics perception of crime?

wow.! thats really true.! i never thought about how those little pauses effect so much,,, thanks!
    i was watching BBC btw, but you're right lol.

Lon
    Currently Offline
    is HAPPY

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    04-18-2014
    Local Time
    01:29 AM
    Gifts Cocktail Gift Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    I get very irritated when I see and hear repetitious reporting and visuals. Where Cyndy Sheehan was and what she was protesting (The war in Iraq) went on and on ad naseum. In fact it was reported that in a eight hour period the news had something like 54 segments on where she was currently and Hurricane Katrina had four pieces. No question that the news will shape some folks opinions. That can be good or bad, depending.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast