This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    03-26-2017
    Local Time
    07:05 AM

Re: Bad things happen in wars

Being proud toi day "I'm an American" is rather interesting. Why do Americans put the maple leaf on their luggage when in Europe?? Why are they not considered popular in Europe? Why do people in Europe tell me they do not like Americans?

War is the pits. I like what Churchill said "War if necessary but not necessarily war" Sometimes as with Hitler we don't have much choice.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    03-26-2017
    Local Time
    11:05 AM
    Gifts Kitten

I was there in Operation Frequent Wind, and I can assure you that given the naval presence, there were more than a few Americans stuck in Saigon at the time.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    03-26-2017
    Local Time
    03:05 PM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

That must have been quite a day to have witnessed.

The "that wasn't the end of the war" deflection ploy was in common use ten years ago, it made conversation pretty much impossible. Finding common ground takes two.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    03-26-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Kitten

My ship was pretty far off the coast, but I recall walking on deck and seeing US naval ships as far as I could see littering the ocean. It was a massive presence. There were refugee camps set up in Guam and Midway - I forget which one we went to - I tend to think it was Guam. We assisted in the processing of refugees coming off the ships. I was just shy of my 19th birthday. I recall looking into the eyes of some of the people trying to get a sense of their plight. Lots of sadness and fear.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    03-26-2017
    Local Time

Was it allowed to have a camera with you in circumstances like that? I would assume people would want to keep a visual history of what they'd been doing in such dramatic circumstances.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    03-26-2017
    Local Time

I note General Mattis has been touring Japan and South Korea.

"Mattis does not intend to broach the subject of host-nation payments towards supporting almost 50,000 US troops based in Japan."

I don't suppose he would. They have much the same local reputation as Trumpolini attributes to Mexicans crossing the border - murderers and rapists. There's a groundswell in Japan to have the bases closed and the occupying forces sent home. And yes, I can give references if asked. Try Tens of thousands protest on Okinawa to close key U.S. bases in Japan for example.

Quite why "the US also has 28,500 troops in South Korea, mostly ranged along the heavily armed border separating it from the North" I'm not sure. They're not a deterrent. If push came to shove they'd qualify more as hostages.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ar-arms-mattis

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    03-26-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Kitten

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Was it allowed to have a camera with you in circumstances like that? I would assume people would want to keep a visual history of what they'd been doing in such dramatic circumstances.
    I had a camera and took pictures but don't know what happened to them. I had found a number of photos by others on the ships of what I described a few years ago online, but I can't seem to locate them now.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    03-26-2017
    Local Time

I note General Mattis has been dressing down NATO.
    Mattis also told a meeting of defence ministers: “No longer can the American taxpayer carry a disproportionate share of the defence of western values. Americans cannot care more for your children’s future security than you do.”

Trump has long argued that the US bears too large a share of the Nato financial burden and that the other member countries should at least meet the target of spending at least 2% of their national GDP on defence. Nato says only the US, UK, Poland, Estonia and Greece have met the target

Mattis tried to make his case by citing the threat from Moscow, noting Russia’s 2014 annexation of Ukraine’s Crimea region and Islamic State’s hold over parts of Iraq and Syria, and saying that “some in this alliance have looked away in denial of what is happening”.

“Despite the threats from the east and south, we have failed to fill gaps in our Nato response force or to adapt,” he added.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ecretary-trump
    Perhaps the General should check what precisely the NATO Treaty obligations consist of. The Ukraine is not a member of NATO. Iraq is not a member of NATO. Syria is not a member of NATO. There is absolutely no obligation on any NATO member to join America in its foreign aggression.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    03-26-2017
    Local Time
    04:05 PM
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr8ljRgcJNM

Mattis tried to make his case by citing the threat from Moscow, noting Russia’s 2014 annexation of Ukraine’s Crimea region and Islamic State’s hold over parts of Iraq and Syria, and saying that “some in this alliance have looked away in denial of what is happening”.
    Bit rich seeing as his president didn't sem to know crimea had been annexed, let's hope they look at a map before they invade poland or somewhere else in europe by mistake.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/31/po...-crimea-putin/

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    03-26-2017
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    let's hope they look at a map before they invade poland or somewhere else in europe by mistake.
    Not a matter to take lightly - the Poles were rather annoyed when it finally came to light that America's Mutually Assured Destruction planned step before targeting anywhere in Soviet Russia was to take out Warsaw just to show they were serious. With friends like that, who needs enemies.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast