Crazy

Local Date
    04-16-2014
    Local Time
    02:02 PM
    Gifts Cocktail Boxing Gloves Balloons Puppy Gift Car Cocktail Gift

Cameron's Bedroom Tax

Bedroom Tax - National Housing Federation

Blimey... even Americans are commenting on this on facebook.

Mad Arse Face
    is relaxed

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    04-16-2014
    Local Time
    07:02 AM
    Gifts Kitten Balloons Kitten Beer

Re: Cameron's Bedroom Tax

Wouldn't this encourage some people to have more children so this wouldn't happen? Not to sound cynical but I've heard of welfare recipients having a steady stream of children so they'd continue to receive "benefits".

High Priestess of Cardis
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-16-2014
    Local Time
    Gifts Paintbrush Muffin Banana

On the whole, I think this change is fair enough...in the UK social housing appears to be in crisis and it seems unfair that people should be subsidised for having more bedrooms than they need when there are so many people without homes or living in cramped conditions.

However, I really hope sufficient allowance is made for people with particular needs who need an extra bedroom. And of course it begs the question, can those who have a spare bedroom find alternative suitable accommmodation? If they can't, they will find their weekly income depleted...not easy if they are already struggling to make ends meet.
    Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke

This user has no status.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    04-16-2014
    Local Time

It's a difficult one this...

On one hand, when I was In Housing we had and I'm sure they still do, real problems with older people who's children had grown up and moved out living In social housing In 3 even four bedroomed houses. It was really tough Insisting they moved to a smaller property If they had been In It all their working lives but the downside was that young people with babies are In bed and breakfast waiting for a home.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-16-2014
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by SnoozeAgain View Post
    Wouldn't this encourage some people to have more children so this wouldn't happen? Not to sound cynical but I've heard of welfare recipients having a steady stream of children so they'd continue to receive "benefits".
    That's the kind of insane logic the right wing in this country come out with. They seem to believe people like living on benefits and have kids just to sponge off the state. They also firmly believe that our present economic malaise is die to immigrants, the unemployed and a minimum wage and employment protection legislation that prevents employers taking on more staff.

Since this is a british political thread just so you understand the difference between the different political parties the tories are right wing bastards, the liberal democrats are spineless wankers with the integrity and substance as the centre of a ring doughnut and labour are so far up their own backsides they cannot see the light, yet continue munching on their own **** until they believe it. Their new manifesto is entitled it's nothing to do with us.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    04-16-2014
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    That's the kind of insane logic the right wing in this country come out with. They seem to believe people like living on benefits and have kids just to sponge off the state. They also firmly believe that our present economic malaise is die to immigrants, the unemployed and a minimum wage and employment protection legislation that prevents employers taking on more staff.

Since this is a british political thread just so you understand the difference between the different political parties the tories are right wing bastards, the liberal democrats are spineless wankers with the integrity and substance as the centre of a ring doughnut and labour are so far up their own backsides they cannot see the light, yet continue munching on their own **** until they believe it. Their new manifesto is entitled it's nothing to do with us.
    She's raised a very good point...some do have children to stay In benefit and not always single Mums but married couples... there's an article out today to show 4 million Brits have never worked In their lives.

And sorry but If you don't think so then come down to my neck of the woods and I'll take you to a cafe where you can hear the feckless do nothing but talk about what they are entitled to, what they're getting and what more they're going to get. It's nauseating. My husband won't go there because he calls the cafe ' Slapper R Us'. I frequent the premises on account o them doing a superb full English breakfast.

When I was In housing we had single Mums In mother and baby units, bed and breakfast or hotels despite their parents having four bedroomed houses because they wanted a council house. Some of those young Mums were under no doubt that one way to fast track a council house was to get pregnant again. So Snooze raises a good point actually.

Look at The Phillpott family.... 16 children and niether of them have never worked. They are not alone... there are many Phillpott families.
    The difference Is years ago couples planned babies and the first thing they asked of themselves was ' can we afford another baby'... now It's a fore-gone conclusion the tax payer will raise the child.

So ner

High Priestess of Cardis
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-16-2014
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    She's raised a very good point...some do have children to stay In benefit and not always single Mums but married couples... there's an article out today to show 4 million Brits have never worked In their lives.

And sorry but If you don't think so then come down to my neck of the woods and I'll take you to a cafe where you can hear the feckless do nothing but talk about what they are entitled to, what they're getting and what more they're going to get. It's nauseating. My husband won't go there because he calls the cafe ' Slapper R Us'. I frequent the premises on account o them doing a superb full English breakfast.

When I was In housing we had single Mums In mother and baby units, bed and breakfast or hotels despite their parents having four bedroomed houses because they wanted a council house. Some of those young Mums were under no doubt that one way to fast track a council house was to get pregnant again. So Snooze raises a good point actually.

Look at The Phillpott family.... 16 children and niether of them have never worked. They are not alone... there are many Phillpott families.
    The difference Is years ago couples planned babies and the first thing they asked of themselves was ' can we afford another baby'... now It's a fore-gone conclusion the tax payer will raise the child.

So ner

If this is so, I'm wondering when attitudes began to change?

I was pregnant at 18, in the late 60s and there was no expectation of anything from the state. My husband and I lived in an isolated caravan in the middle of a field and we had to walk across the field to get to the loo. Washing terry nappies was a nightmare...after soaking in napisan, I would boil them in an old large jam saucepan on a small calor gas stove and rinse them in the tiny sink. I would then have to walk over to the wash-house and use the old mangle, which actually was brilliant for squeezing out the excess water.

Fortunately, when my daughter was a year old, my parents helped us out by giving us the deposit for a small bungalow, but we both had to work to pay the mortgage and there was no state allowance for the first child in those days.
    Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke

This user has no status.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    04-16-2014
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by theia View Post
    If this is so, I'm wondering when attitudes began to change?

I was pregnant at 18, in the late 60s and there was no expectation of anything from the state. My husband and I lived in an isolated caravan in the middle of a field and we had to walk across the field to get to the loo. Washing terry nappies was a nightmare...after soaking in napisan, I would boil them in an old large jam saucepan on a small calor gas stove and rinse them in the tiny sink. I would then have to walk over to the wash-house and use the old mangle, which actually was brilliant for squeezing out the excess water.

Fortunately, when my daughter was a year old, my parents helped us out by giving us the deposit for a small bungalow, but we both had to work to pay the mortgage and there was no state allowance for the first child in those days.
    I remember my late sister boiling those nappies

You see... you have given the exact example of where It all went wrong.

People used to plan babies on weather they could afford them or not and If a baby was unplanned but wanted, there was a sense of community and family spirit back then. Like you, families pitched In and helped. I remember my late sister splitting from her husband and taking on a mortgage on her own for her 3 children and working full time to pay for It but she'd never have done It without my parents and the entire family mucking In and raising the kids. I'm so proud of my niece who on her young daughter getting caught out, refused all offers of welfare because her house Is big enough for all of them. My great niece still can finish college, do her saturday job and the family take care of the new baby without one penny being drawn from welfare. It's about taking responsibility I suppose and the welfare state has In many respects taken away that family spirit and sense of responsibility by just making It a little all to easy to claim. Sadly, these days, some see welfare as entitlement not the safety net for which It was designed.

High Priestess of Cardis
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-16-2014
    Local Time

But they looked beautiful on the washing line, with the wind billowing through them

This user has no status.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    04-16-2014
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by theia View Post
    But they looked beautiful on the washing line, with the wind billowing through them
    So true... I've seen they are making a come-back.

My late sister prided herself on a line full of white Terry's blowing In the wind...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast