I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-25-2014
    Local Time
    04:38 AM
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Re: This Is meant to be Illegal

Get your pitchfork out and let's go get the aristos. We've got problems with gamekeepers killing birds of prey like golden eagles in case they go for the grouse. Apart from everything else their presence attracts a surprising number of birdwatchers people to an area who stay locally and spend. Trouble is if the gamekeepers don't get them the wind turbines will.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-25-2014
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

On a totally unrelated note having spent half an hour cleaning off the fox **** that my dog rolled in today and being constantly wakened at two in the morning by a fox that comes in my garden and sets the dogs to barking I am not particularly enamoured of the beasties. They can be a pest, indeed vermin, and their numbers dealt with but there is something wrong with people whose idea of fun is watching animals being ripped to bits.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    07-25-2014
    Local Time
    Gifts Boxing Gloves Cocktail Boxing Gloves Balloons Puppy Gift Car Cocktail

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    On a totally unrelated note having spent half an hour cleaning off the fox **** that my dog rolled in today and being constantly wakened at two in the morning by a fox that comes in my garden and sets the dogs to barking I am not particularly enamoured of the beasties. They can be a pest, indeed vermin, and their numbers dealt with but there is something wrong with people whose idea of fun is watching animals being ripped to bits.
    Is the Vixen calling ?

She shouldn't be. Rutting finished and most Vixens are pregnant right now and cubs due In late March.

Numbers ?? Right, some facts.

The average life span on a Red or Urban Fox Is just two years providing they don't get shot, hit by cars, electrocuted on railway lines or poisoned. An estimated 100,000 a year are killed by cars. Having said that, a Fox In captivity can live to 14 years old so If you feed Foxes and they have a regular meal, they can live until about 3 or 4 years old.
    Every year, the Alpha's oust cubs when they get to approx 9 months old. They disperse Into forming new territories or take over where another has died. They are fiercely territorial and why whenever a Fox Is rescued, he Is released back exactly where he was found or Alpha Dogs can fight to the death over territory. Sometimes, a newly ousted cub will return to the family as a subordinate where an Alpha or subordinate has died.

As they are fiercely territorial, families consist of an Apha Dog and Alpha Vixen. Most families will have a subordinate Vixen so In case the Alpha Is killed, the subordinate will feed any cubs that are orphaned. The Vixens will give birth to 4 or 5 cubs each year but usually, 2 or 3 will not survive. On average, each family will produce 6 to 8 cubs a year. As they are ousted at 9 months, they only replace Foxes In new or old territories given the very short life span. Thus, It is Impossible for a Fox family to be roaming around 25 strong as the Daily Mail will have you believe.

The first and foremost staple diet of Red and Urban Fox Is earthworms. Small rodents second. If you have a Fox on your land, you're lucky. You won't have rats or mice. Other staple diet Is fruit and stricken birds along with road kill. A recent experiment by the RSPCA who filmed an entire street over a week found that most bins were ripped open by cats not Foxes.
    The times when Foxes get desperate Is a hard winter when the ground Is frozen and they can't dig for worms and rodents are few and far between. Since the Introduction of wheelie bins, Foxes can not get Into bins. This Is when they may cast a loving gaze over your pet rabbit In a hutch.

Red Foxes will never cross over to the towns and Cities and vice versa. As they are so territorial, they will stay around where they are born. Urban Foxes Is man's creation which started In post war boom and the mass building on Greenbelt. Man's greed and consumer waste has made them adapt and survive In newly built towns and cities. This Is why Fox hunting or controlling numbers Is futile. As soon as your rid land of one Fox, a newly ousted cub will take over.

Foes do not kill for fun. Their In built Instinct to cache food for hard times Is as In built as the desire for a swallow to fly south or a squirrel to hoard nuts. If they get into a chicken house It's because the owner has not secured It In the first Instance. His Instinct Is to gather as much food as possible so he will kill every chicken. His Intention Is to return time after time and remove every one of them back to his Earth but 5 times out of 10 the noise disturbs the owner and he's stopped from returning.

If you feed a family of Foxes enough food every night for a meal and enough to cache back to his Earth, you will never have any problems.

I am Oscar, I am the Fox whisperer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails This Is meant to be Illegal-clarkson.jpg   This Is meant to be Illegal-activist.jpg  

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-25-2014
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

If they are calling I don't hear them but my dogs do. We live near a forested area and there are actually quite a few around as well as te occasional roe deer, I suspect they are using the street as a transit from one wooded bit to another. I don't mind them particularly I'm just pissed off with a dog that likes rolling in fox ****, there's a particular walk I take them on where they seem to find it. I met a vixen with two cubs that I think would have played with the pup I had with me at the time, one of those occasions I wished I had a camera they came right up to my feet then saw my other dog I would I think have killed them given half a chance I was hanging on to his collar. On the other hand I don't fancy his chances with a dog fox - they're pretty big.

Side note: I mentioned dog fox to one of my neighbours, surprising how people forget the term for a male fox he thought I meant I'd seen a hybrid

This user has no status.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    07-25-2014
    Local Time

If they are calling I don't hear them but my dogs do. We live near a forested area and there are actually quite a few around as well as te occasional roe deer, I suspect they are using the street as a transit from one wooded bit to another. I don't mind them particularly I'm just pissed off with a dog that likes rolling in fox ****, there's a particular walk I take them on where they seem to find it. I met a vixen with two cubs that I think would have played with the pup I had with me at the time, one of those occasions I wished I had a camera they came right up to my feet then saw my other dog I would I think have killed them given half a chance I was hanging on to his collar. On the other hand I don't fancy his chances with a dog fox - they're pretty big.

Side note: I mentioned dog fox to one of my neighbours, surprising how people forget the term for a male fox he thought I meant I'd seen a hybrid
    From what you've described It sounds as If they are Red Fox If you're that close to a forested area. Urban may come In If there Is an abundance of rabbits there.

You shouldn't worry about the size of a Dog Fox... they appear bigger during winter when they have the thick winter coat. The old myth that Foxes kill cats Is just that... a myth. The RSPCA did a survey In Oxford where they collected over 10,000 Fox droppings. Only 8 of those were contaminated with cat... It's not to say that Foxes killed 8 cats, It's to say that the 8 cats were highly likely killed by cars and the Foxes too them as Roadkill. No Fox Is a match for a cat and they know that. They can't out-run them nor fight them. At worst a Vixen will chase away a cat from her cubs, at best they will share a free meal with a cat.... I see both regually.

As for domestic dogs, You only have to see the appalling Injuries Foxes suffer that end up being rescued to know that no Fox Is a match for a dog. Having said that, If you have a tiny Yorkshire Terrier Puppy running loose, a Fox could mistake It for a rodent.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-25-2014
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    From what you've described It sounds as If they are Red Fox If you're that close to a forested area. Urban may come In If there Is an abundance of rabbits there.

You shouldn't worry about the size of a Dog Fox... they appear bigger during winter when they have the thick winter coat. The old myth that Foxes kill cats Is just that... a myth. The RSPCA did a survey In Oxford where they collected over 10,000 Fox droppings. Only 8 of those were contaminated with cat... It's not to say that Foxes killed 8 cats, It's to say that the 8 cats were highly likely killed by cars and the Foxes too them as Roadkill. No Fox Is a match for a cat and they know that. They can't out-run them nor fight them. At worst a Vixen will chase away a cat from her cubs, at best they will share a free meal with a cat.... I see both regually.

As for domestic dogs, You only have to see the appalling Injuries Foxes suffer that end up being rescued to know that no Fox Is a match for a dog. Having said that, If you have a tiny Yorkshire Terrier Puppy running loose, a Fox could mistake It for a rodent.
    Red fox urban fox what are you blethering about? they're the same animal just in different places. If it's a small enough animal a fox will kill and eat it they're opportunistic feeders. I'd expect most cats will be able to get away from a fox rather than they choose not to eat them On the other hand being a wild animal they have the sense not to deliberately get in fights with something that has the potential to hurt them.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    07-25-2014
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Red fox urban fox what are you blethering about? they're the same animal just in different places. If it's a small enough animal a fox will kill and eat it they're opportunistic feeders. I'd expect most cats will be able to get away from a fox rather than they choose not to eat them On the other hand being a wild animal they have the sense not to deliberately get in fights with something that has the potential to hurt them.
    Yes, same species Vulpes Vulpes but Red or Urban terminology depends on where they are born. A Red will not cross over Into a town and vice versa because of territorial traits. In fact, If you rescued an Injured Fox In a town and then released him back In deep countryside, you could be charged with abandonment.

What I meant was, If you have a forested area next to a town, the Urbans could venture to the outskirts of the forest looking for rabbits, but they wouldn't go far Inside.

+ Reply to Thread