I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-26-2017
    Local Time
    08:24 AM
    Gifts Beer Cake

Re: Man injured as train hits tractor at level crossing

I noticed that although there were plenty of shots of the train, there was hardly anything of the tractor, apart from a coupe of the upper part of the cab and, what is probably more important, the skip that it appeared to be towing. I also noticed that the approach to the crossing included a sign with a warning of risk of grounding to such vehicles. Would it not be unreasonable, therefore to consider this as a possible cause. Driver tows the skip across. Grounds it. Gets stuck. Train comes along. Thwack!!

is .

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-26-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    I noticed that although there were plenty of shots of the train, there was hardly anything of the tractor, apart from a coupe of the upper part of the cab and, what is probably more important, the skip that it appeared to be towing. I also noticed that the approach to the crossing included a sign with a warning of risk of grounding to such vehicles. Would it not be unreasonable, therefore to consider this as a possible cause. Driver tows the skip across. Grounds it. Gets stuck. Train comes along. Thwack!!
    That sounds a very reasonable working hypothesis given what we know so far.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-26-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

I'm glad I waited. This is as recent as there is so far.
    The Rail Accident Investigation Branch report reveals a signaller gave him permission to cross. The report says drivers checked if it was safe by ringing a signaller.

[...] "The tractor driver was given permission to cross the line, and had reached the mid-point of the crossing when his vehicle was struck by train 1K77, the 12:03 Norwich to Cambridge service, which was travelling at 84 mph (135 km/h).

Tractor hit by train in Norfolk had approval to cross line - BBC News
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-26-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

The drivers have to leave their vehicle to use a track side phone ? Nothing barring their way ?
    What happens if there is a queue of cars ?
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-26-2017
    Local Time

Don't look in my direction, I've never been anywhere that primitive.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-26-2017
    Local Time

We now have the final report at https://www.gov.uk/raib-reports/coll...ssing-thetford.
    With the train a minute away from the crossing, the tractor driver had been granted permission to cross by a signaller at the Network Rail signal box in Cambridge.

At about 12.30pm, the Norwich to Cambridge service struck the tractor at 87mph. The train driver had sounded the vehicle’s horn and applied the emergency brake but was unable to stop.

The train driver and four passengers were also hurt.

In a report released by the Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) today, it is claimed the signaller had “lost his awareness of the position of the train” because his levels of concentration “may have lapsed”.

Tractor driver seriously injured in Roudham train crash was given permission to cross by possibly fatigued signaller - Diss Express
    Network rail may be putting checks in place that no signaler in future can possibly become fatigued, but I shall nonetheless try hard to avoid Norfolk in my travels while there's a chance this chap may be on duty again. Signalers only have one job to perform, and that's to not ever crash trains into anything on their stretch of line.

Should anyone ever need an example of a meaningless insulting platitude they need look no further than Network Rail's response, "Reducing the risk at level crossings remains a top priority and we are committed to make level crossings as safe as possible for everyone", which is presumably how Network Rail’s senior incident officer for Anglia justifies her ample managerial salary. Network Rail Senior Incident Officer would appear to be a euphemism for utterly unproductive damage limitation PR spokesperson with a memorized list of buzzwords.

is .

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-26-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    We now have the final report at https://www.gov.uk/raib-reports/coll...ssing-thetford.
    With the train a minute away from the crossing, the tractor driver had been granted permission to cross by a signaller at the Network Rail signal box in Cambridge.

At about 12.30pm, the Norwich to Cambridge service struck the tractor at 87mph. The train driver had sounded the vehicle’s horn and applied the emergency brake but was unable to stop.

The train driver and four passengers were also hurt.

In a report released by the Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) today, it is claimed the signaller had “lost his awareness of the position of the train” because his levels of concentration “may have lapsed”.

Tractor driver seriously injured in Roudham train crash was given permission to cross by possibly fatigued signaller - Diss Express
    Network rail may be putting checks in place that no signaler in future can possibly become fatigued, but I shall nonetheless try hard to avoid Norfolk in my travels while there's a chance this chap may be on duty again. Signalers only have one job to perform, and that's to not ever crash trains into anything on their stretch of line.

Should anyone ever need an example of a meaningless insulting platitude they need look no further than Network Rail's response, "Reducing the risk at level crossings remains a top priority and we are committed to make level crossings as safe as possible for everyone", which is presumably how Network Rail’s senior incident officer for Anglia justifies her ample managerial salary. Network Rail Senior Incident Officer would appear to be a euphemism for utterly unproductive damage limitation PR spokesperson with a memorized list of buzzwords.
    In the same way as a train passing a signal turns the section of track that it is entering to status red and the section of track that it is leaving to amber (and releases the section of track before that back to green) it should be automatic that any section of track containing a crossing that is open to be forced red and the sections either side to be forced amber. In that way no train could get near to a crossing that is not set in their favour.

Even if the signaller had opened the gates to let the tractor through it takes a train less than a minute to cover a section of track at the speed quoted, the driver would have seen the signal and had chance to avoid the collision.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-26-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    In the same way as a train passing a signal turns the section of track that it is entering to status red and the section of track that it is leaving to amber (and releases the section of track before that back to green) it should be automatic that any section of track containing a crossing that is open to be forced red and the sections either side to be forced amber. In that way no train could get near to a crossing that is not set in their favour.

Even if the signaller had opened the gates to let the tractor through it takes a train less than a minute to cover a section of track at the speed quoted, the driver would have seen the signal and had chance to avoid the collision.
    OK How fast can atractor accelerate even assuming the driver had been looking to the side at the signal instead of looking ahead. Or if you are referring to the train driver how far does atrain doing 87mph travel in a minute and how long a distance oes it need to stop?

is .

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-26-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    OK How fast can atractor accelerate even assuming the driver had been looking to the side at the signal instead of looking ahead. Or if you are referring to the train driver how far does atrain doing 87mph travel in a minute and how long a distance oes it need to stop?
    Well the sections of track covered by the signal are designed to be long enough for the train to stop easily whatever speed they're going and a train going at that speed would travel a mile and a half in a minute - far enough away to be outside of the proposed amber section of track by some distance. It would be no different to the driver reaching a signal due to a train on the track - the driver would be blocked from entering the section until the tractor had left and the gates were set in the train's favour.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-26-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    Well the sections of track covered by the signal are designed to be long enough for the train to stop easily whatever speed they're going and a train going at that speed would travel a mile and a half in a minute - far enough away to be outside of the proposed amber section of track by some distance. It would be no different to the driver reaching a signal due to a train on the track - the driver would be blocked from entering the section until the tractor had left and the gates were set in the train's favour.
    OK Im bow to your greater knowledge of train operations. sounds like it's the signallers fault in the main.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast