I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-24-2017
    Local Time
    07:46 PM
    Gifts Beer Beer

Inauguration

The Inauguration of the US President as I understand it is usually a celebration of democracy. This one is a celebration of corruption and Russian hacking if not blackmail. I gather the entertainment will be 1 Rockette and a few runners up in talent shows. Not one major currently performing star wants to be associated with this POTUS. Not one. Respect to them all.

I gather the boycott is gathering pace, but have no idea how many will join it. I've heard about 20 Democrats won't go - that's barely going to be noticeable, I'd have thought.

It's a tragic day. It's the day America as a beacon of hope and democracy dies. It's the day intolerance, corruption, arrogance and nepotism take control. It's the day America takes on the worst aspects of African or Eastern European democracies and becomes the personal enrichment tool of the President and his family and close cronies.

It's the day America ceases to be a friend and an ally that can be relied on and becomes a toy of the rich like Russia.

It's the day the US hands leadership of the world to China.

But the real winner of the US election and brexit is Vlad Putin, who is laughing himself sick at both the US and the UK.

edit: Now I hear that Trump is sending random invitations to "person aged 27+" to attend his inauguration, a bit like the way he packed a recent press conference with staffers instructed to applaud everything he said. How completely contemptible and pathetic.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-24-2017
    Local Time
    01:46 PM
    Gifts Beer Beer

Re: Inauguration

So you don't like Trump.

I didn't like Obama but he, like Trump was America's choice for President.

Rather than celebrate the peaceful transition of power, there are way too many losers throwing a hissy fit.

The shame belongs to the losers who try to ruin what is suppose to be a national celebration.

Supporting Member
    is I am counting the cost of Christmas

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    07-24-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Mop Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    So you don't like Trump.

I didn't like Obama but he, like Trump was America's choice for President.

Rather than celebrate the peaceful transition of power, there are way too many losers throwing a hissy fit.

The shame belongs to the losers who try to ruin what is suppose to be a national celebration.
    There can only be a National Celebration if there's something to celebrate.
    "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
    Winston Churchill

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-24-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    There can only be a National Celebration if there's something to celebrate.
    The peaceful transition of power without bloodshed.

To be an example to other nations how the citizens peaceably choose their leaders.

Some people just don't get it.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-24-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

There's a lot of Americans who feel the man is completely unfit for the job, to the extent they are scared for themselves, their families and their futures and horrified at the idea of religious extremists sliming into positions of power. I've not seen the USA protest like this even with the Florida/Bush shenanigans. This is a completely different order of political event and to attempt to normalise it is misguided. You've got to start looking at Vietnam War type protests to get anywhere near. This is NOT normal and the Inauguration mess reflects that. Peaceably choosing this jerk has done a lot to convince the Chinese that a limited franchise is a much better way and it's hard to argue with them.

He's got 40% approval ratings. Utterly unheard of for an incoming President. That means a lot of people who voted for him are changing their minds, in many cases no doubt because they are upset at the way he's rowed back on many of his more extreme statements and they had believed him. Anyone who doesn't raise several eyebrows at his Russian connections needs to look again. He's admitted molesting women, he won't release his tax returns, he employs his family in key posts and won't divorce himself from his business interests the way all Presidents have for what? 60 years?

The man stinks.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-24-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    There's a lot of Americans who feel the man is completely unfit for the job, to the extent they are scared for themselves, their families and their futures and horrified at the idea of religious extremists sliming into positions of power. I've not seen the USA protest like this even with the Florida/Bush shenanigans. This is a completely different order of political event and to attempt to normalise it is misguided. You've got to start looking at Vietnam War type protests to get anywhere near. This is NOT normal and the Inauguration mess reflects that. Peaceably choosing this jerk has done a lot to convince the Chinese that a limited franchise is a much better way and it's hard to argue with them.

He's got 40% approval ratings. Utterly unheard of. That means a lot of people who voted for him are changing their minds, in many cases no doubt because they are upset at the way he's rowed back on many of his more extreme statements and they had believed him. Anyone who doesn't raise several eyebrows at his Russian connections needs to look again. He's admitted molesting women, he won't release his tax returns, he employs his family in key posts and won't divorce himself from his business interests the way all Presidents have for what? 60 years?

The man stinks.
    Give it up.

He won the election and will be the next President of the United States.

One would think Democrats would have better things to do than crying about the election they lost.

The demos not only lost the executive branch but took a beating in the House and Senate.

Wake up and listen to Americans.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-24-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

I know he will and I know they did. I'm just expressing my horror about your President-to be and his administration. I'm a Londoner by the way and a Liberal Democrat. I considered America a friend and you don't let a friend do something you consider incredibly stupid without telling him so as forcefully as necessary. Now? I don't trust your President-to-be and his administration one little bit and without trust there is no friendship. When you get rid of him it will be like a friend coming to his senses.

While many many Americans from the ordinary to the astronauts have earned my respect and admiration, America has - I hope temporarily - lost it.

edit: My understanding is that your system wasn't really designed to operate with all three bodies - Presidency, Senate, Congress - of the same Party. This means not only do you have a very dodgy President, one of your major constitutional checks on his power has gone. Add in the appointment of top judges and there goes another. Underneath the President you are collecting a bunch of people who can and wish to push America not just to the Right, but the far religious Right.

I'm not very keen on the Saudis. Not because they are Muslim, but because they are religiously extreme. Iran ditto. A religiously extreme Christian America is heading the same way in my view - intolerant, authoritarian and far too fond of killing people.

edit again: I'm pretty miffed about brexit, so I'm not too pleased with my own people just at present - if they really are my people any more (but that's another discussion). So it's not just you damn yanks

is just trying to keep her head

I am:
    Shy

Local Date
    07-24-2017
    Local Time
    02:46 PM
    Gifts Kitten Kitten Kitten Cake Gift Balloons Gift Car

I'm w/you, Clodhopper. I'm horrified. However, that psycho bully is now the president, duly elected, so I'm with TD too. The country has spoken & has said: "We're a bunch of angry morons." So there.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-24-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

The country has spoken & has said: "We're a bunch of angry morons." So there.
    So have the brexiters over here. At least you can throw the feckers out in 4 years at worst - what brexiters have done is for life. There is no return. We've jumped or been pushed (depending how you voted) off the cliff on the assurance we'll land in paradise and all we can be sure of is gravity.

What madness to believe that right wing racist and/or religious bigots and the corrupt very rich wish to deliver better conditions for ordinary people, who are of a wide range of colours and religions! This applies to both our countries.

ZAP
    Currently Offline
    Supporting Member
    is a child of the universe

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    07-24-2017
    Local Time
    11:46 AM
    Gifts Paintbrush Cocktail Gift Naughty Mag Banana Paintbrush Gift Cocktail

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    I'm w/you, Clodhopper. I'm horrified. However, that psycho bully is now the president, duly elected, so I'm with TD too. The country has spoken & has said: "We're a bunch of angry morons." So there.
    Are these the same ones who used to be "Deplorables"?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast