I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    04-28-2017
    Local Time
    09:45 PM
    Gifts Kitten

US Downgraded From Full Democracy to Flawed Democracy

Not because of Trump. It's been headed that way for decades.

While this is in actuality an embarrassment (especially since America touts itself as the number one democracy in the world), there's a certain note of comfort that we're in the same class as Japan, only behind it and tied with Italy.

The United Sates was downgraded from "full democracy" to "flawed democracy" in the 2016 Democracy Index, which cites declining trust in the government as the cause of its new rating.

The report is the Economist Intelligence Unit's ninth annual Democracy Index, which looks at the state of governments across the world. In 2016, the number of "full democracies" dropped from 20 to 19.

The United States' downgrade puts it at 21 in the international rankings, below Japan and tied with Italy.
    US no longer considered 'full democracy,' group says | TheHill

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Tired

Local Date
    04-28-2017
    Local Time
    07:45 PM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Re: US Downgraded From Full Democracy to Flawed Democracy

US has never been a "Full Democracy"
    And it's been flawed for a long time.
    However, it has been, until recently a fairly functional republic.
    "You don't need to know all the answers. Nobody is yet smart enough to even know all the questions."
    - Anonymous

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    04-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Kitten

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    US has never been a "Full Democracy"
    And it's been flawed for a long time.
    However, it has been, until recently a fairly functional republic.
    That's a quite literal reading.

Proudly humble

I am:
    Tired

Local Date
    04-28-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    That's a quite literal reading.
    Reading of what?
    The article you linked to?
    Didn't read it. They want me to register, agree to their terms, and log in to read their white paper, which presumes there is such a thing as a Full Democracy, and the the US has been one for some unspecified period of time.

My comment was completely independent of whatever that whitepaper may have to say.
    By definition, I would presume that a "Full Democracy" would entail an active participation in the process of governing, or selecting representatives to do so, by a significant majority of the citizens of the nation. Statistics indicate that that has not been the case since at least the beginning the 20th Century.
    And the current president is not at all unique in being elected by a minority of the qualified electorate.

So, perhaps we could try to figure out exactly when we actually qualified for the designation of a Full Democracy to begin with?
    "You don't need to know all the answers. Nobody is yet smart enough to even know all the questions."
    - Anonymous

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    04-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Kitten

My point is that the contents of the thread are within the context of the article, which is based on the white paper. I went ahead and signed up to read the paper before posting the thread. I understand if anyone else might be hesitant to do what I did.

This is the wiki article on The Democracy Index and how its conclusions are achieved in case anyone might be interested. The wiki article also offers much of the pertinent information located in the white paper.

Classification definitions[edit]
    Full democracies are nations where civil liberties and basic political freedoms are not only respected, but also reinforced by a political culture conducive to the thriving of democratic principles. These nations have a valid system of governmental checks and balances, independent judiciary whose decisions are enforced, governments which function adequately, and media which is diverse and independent. These nations have only limited problems in democratic functioning.[6]

Flawed democracies are nations where elections are fair and free and basic civil liberties are honored but may have issues (e.g. media freedom infringement). Nonetheless, these nations have significant faults in other democratic aspects, including underdeveloped political culture, low levels of participation in politics, and issues in the functioning of governance.[6]

Hybrid regimes are nations where consequential irregularities exist in elections regularly preventing them from being fair and free. These nations commonly have governments which apply pressure on political opponents, non independent judiciaries, widespread corruption, harassment and pressure placed on the media, anemic rule of law, and more pronounced faults than flawed democracies in the realms of underdeveloped political culture, low levels of participation in politics, and issues in the functioning of governance.[6]

Authoritarian regimes are nations where political pluralism has vanished or is extremely limited. These nations are often absolute dictatorships, may have some conventional institutions of democracy- but with meager significance, infringements and abuses of civil liberties are commonplace, elections- if they take place- are not fair and free, the media is often state-owned or controlled by groups associated with the ruling regime, the judiciary is not independent, and the presence of omnipresent censorship and suppression of governmental criticism.[6]

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    04-29-2017
    Local Time
    02:45 AM
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

I think THIS is the white paper and HERE is the frightening map of the free world.

Funny times we live in.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    04-29-2017
    Local Time
    11:45 AM

hmmph...... I wish they didn't publish this information.

Proudly humble

I am:
    Tired

Local Date
    04-28-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    My point is that the contents of the thread are within the context of the article, which is based on the white paper. I went ahead and signed up to read the paper before posting the thread. I understand if anyone else might be hesitant to do what I did.

This is the wiki article on The Democracy Index and how its conclusions are achieved in case anyone might be interested. The wiki article also offers much of the pertinent information located in the white paper.
    Thank you.
    Well, then. I stand by my first post. Though there is a possibility that "never" may be a stretch.

Of course, Democracy by its very nature is a bit flawed.
    Unfortunately, the US may well slip rapidly down the scale if things continue they way they have been going the last week or so.
    Last edited by LarsMac; 01-28-2017 at 06:21 PM.
    - Anonymous

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-29-2017
    Local Time
    02:45 AM
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Actrually i don't think americans will sit back and let it happen. Extreme Right wing or left wing or extreme governments only last as long as it takes the majority of citizens to get pissed off enogh to throw them out. All that keeps them in power is ouitside forces that they can blame and use to justuify their extremes. Fior trumop toi last or get relected an awfe=ul lot of americans will need to sit back and do nothing.

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    04-29-2017
    Local Time
    11:45 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    Woohoo!!!!! Australia wins with 98%

But in saying that if what we have is full democracy, then I"d hate to see the others.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast