Cool

Local Date
    03-26-2017
    Local Time
    11:04 AM
    Gifts Kitten

Re: Neil Gorsuch, Supreme Court nominee

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    The handshake was originally intended to indicate that the particpants were not armed (ie. their sword hand).
    So, I guess the hybrid would be to ensure one's head is not cut off during the bow. Good move!

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    03-26-2017
    Local Time
    11:04 AM
    Gifts Kitten

Re: Neil Gorsuch, Supreme Court nominee

Register to remove this ad.
    I read this piece in the NY Times. It paints Gorsuch as conservative citing his background and his decisions on the Hobby Lobby and Little Sisters of the Poor cases, as well as claiming without offering any citations that :
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Times
    Like Justice Scalia, Judge Gorsuch takes a broad view of the Fourth Amendment, which bars unreasonable government searches and seizures.
    Another part of the article says
    Judge Gorsuch has not hesitated to take stands that critics say have a partisan edge. He has criticized liberals for turning to the courts rather than legislatures to achieve their policy goals, and has called for limiting the power of federal regulators.[...]“American liberals have become addicted to the courtroom, relying on judges and lawyers rather than elected leaders and the ballot box, as the primary means of effecting their social agenda on everything from gay marriage to assisted suicide to the use of vouchers for private-school education,” he wrote. “This overweening addiction to the courtroom as the place to debate social policy is bad for the country and bad for the judiciary.”
    (the essay containing the above quote is found here.)

The Times concludes that:
    If Judge Gorsuch is confirmed, the court will return to a familiar dynamic, with Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, a moderate conservative, holding the decisive vote in many closely divided cases.
    What are your thoughts?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6