I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    07-28-2017
    Local Time
    11:53 AM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Re: That's a huge fire

Here we are - a diagram from http://www.harleyfacades.co.uk/File/...ne%20Tower.pdf for a tower the same firm clad in Wandsworth. Observe the external panels. Observe the lightweight external insulation panels in yellow between the structural wall and the external panels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails That's a huge fire-cladding2.jpg  
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    07-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

I will return to my attempting to burn old furniture. If it is up to regulation standards, it doesn't burn, it is impossible to set it alight. The cladding on that building was not fire proof, no doubt at all, any other variations on that are lies.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    07-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

If the thick layer is just plain mineral wool with no organic binder or oil then I shall apologize to Harley Facades for doubting their competence. If it's not, perhaps they'd like to say Castlemaine Tower in Wandsworth is safe for occupation in the light of what happened yesterday. Nothing about "meets all required building control, fire regulation and health & safety standards", just yes it can't burn. If the thick layer is a byproduct of the petrochemical industry then it's not rock, it's reformulated petrol, and it can.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    I will return to my attempting to burn old furniture.
    If your old furniture is retarded then it would need heating above an unspecified temperature before it will behave like an inferno, a mere lighter flame won't do it.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

It looks as though the real reason for the fatalities was a hole in the regs allowing the building company to install utterly inappropriate materials which are presumably much cheaper than specially resistant ones. It also seems the Housing Ministers who kicked the review down the road are in large part responsible, along with the people who saw a chance to save some money on materials, whether it be in the Council, the management organisation or the building firm.

May's new chief of staff is the last Housing Minister...
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Why are people surprised when everybody mucks in to help? It's human nature to work and live together more so than it is to go around killing and finding reasons to hate that's why yopu need religion and political ideologies to counteract it. Maggie thatcher may have said there is no such thing as community but she was wrong.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Yep. It seems that everyone pitched in regardless.

It doesn't in any way make up for this appalling incident but at least there is something good to see in the midst of it all.

At present I'm looking at immediate culprits as the company that did the work with materials that bypassed the safety system. The management of that company, or at least some within it, must either have known they were doing something that turned the tower into a death trap or been sold goods that were faulty. Unless the company is the innocent victim of fraud it seems to me they were culpably negligent. How far cover ups and nasty political manoeuvrings might go (there are some suggestions Kensington Council has been trying to get rid of the social housing there for years as a blot on their posh borough) is anyone's guess. As far as the PM's current private staff at least.

edit: It's beginning to seem there has been a total top to bottom system failure: Bad people, bad choices, political apathy if not malevolence, regulation failures...it just goes on. What sort of a place are we living in?

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    07-28-2017
    Local Time

I see the request for an Inquest rather than an Inquiry because an Inquest has greater powers with evidence taken from those that saw the events unfold.

The Times reports
    the fire resistant panels would have cost just another £5.000, and that the panels used have been banned in several countries.

Recycled Teenager
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    07-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Heart Cocktail Kitten Gift Balloons Balloons Ban Hammer Gift

Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    Yep. It seems that everyone pitched in regardless.

It doesn't in any way make up for this appalling incident but at least there is something good to see in the midst of it all.

At present I'm looking at immediate culprits as the company that did the work with materials that bypassed the safety system. The management of that company, or at least some within it, must either have known they were doing something that turned the tower into a death trap or been sold goods that were faulty. Unless the company is the innocent victim of fraud it seems to me they were culpably negligent. How far cover ups and nasty political manoeuvrings might go (there are some suggestions Kensington Council has been trying to get rid of the social housing there for years as a blot on their posh borough) is anyone's guess. As far as the PM's current private staff at least.

edit: It's beginning to seem there has been a total top to bottom system failure: Bad people, bad choices, political apathy if not malevolence, regulation failures...it just goes on. What sort of a place are we living in?

One word Mr. Clodhopper......................CORRUPT !
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

I've had the impression for years that Tory boroughs were run as get rich quick schemes. Maybe I've just been unlucky in the ones I've seen or heard about. This might just blow the whole thing open. There's already a lot of news management going on - Lily Allen says the police and fire people at the scene told her it looked to be about 150 dead with a very high proportion of children and this is being kept from us she thinks (and I probably agree) in an effort to manage public anger. I don't think it's going to work this time - the leader of the Council coming out and saying the lack of sprinklers was the residents' fault isn't going to cool things down...

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    07-28-2017
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    I don't believe they are tactically holding information back.
    The ferocity of the fire was such that I expect there are ashes rather than recognisable remains.
    Although I heard an angry woman saying somebody passing on the train saw lots of body bags.
    In the circumstances they are probably trying to identify bodies from amongst a lot of charred remains.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast