----

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    07:09 PM
    Gifts Beer Beer

Re: Addiction self inflicted?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Aspam View Post
    I'm not sure but I think if you google NBC News or NBC Nightly News you may be able to call up the report.

Regarding gangsters and Mafia, I haven't heard of such activity for years. But I live in a relatively small city, perhaps such scum is active elsewhere. Here we do have some drug peddlers though, they come and go, when they go it's usually to jail.
    I was thinking historically, not just about the present. Drugs we had as an issue independent of the States, I believe. Opium from India was the first thing that hooked people over here, I think (if we ignore booze and tobacco) then Cocaine which might have had a US connection. LSD certainly came from the US a few generations later along with the Hippie culture.

Found the report. Just awful. A short look into hell. When you've got whole families using stuff they said was many times more powerful than heroin then you get kids born addicted and family dying round you. What you have there looks like an epidemic of despair. What's worse is that few people seem able to break out of it completely. Some do, but not many.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    06:09 PM
    Gifts Beer Cake

There has to be some sort of transitionary stage between recreational & addiction. For instance, at which point does a Social Drinker cross the line to become an Alcoholic?

As for addiction being considered as an illness, I wouldn't necessarily agree. It can be the consequence of an illness, but not an illness in itself. I am also opposed to how alcoholics can be given vouchers to pay for drink because of it being considered a medical condition. Yes, of course there are varying circumstances as to how someone becomes addicted in the first place, but that's another matter. For instance, someone may have been put on morphine to kill the pain of an ongoing medical condition, such as a cancer, for example, but after having had treatment to remove the malignancy remains dependant on the morphine. The addiction is not, in itself, an illnes, but would require support in order to treat it. However, in order to break any sort of addiction the addict must first acknowledge that there is a problem & must WANT to break the addiction. This is where the difference between an illness and an addiction lies. An illness can be treated whether the patient acknowledges the problem or not. An addiction cannot.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

My wife's daughter was put on Tramadol for some reason, when seen by another doctor he was worried about the length of time she had been on it.
    Don't know if tramadol is highly addictive, only that Frankie Boyle had a comedy series called Tramadol Nights, which I never watched anyway.

So it is not always entirely down to the addicted person's choice.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    My wife's daughter was put on Tramadol for some reason, when seen by another doctor he was worried about the length of time she had been on it.
    Don't know if tramadol is highly addictive, only that Frankie Boyle had a comedy series called Tramadol Nights, which I never watched anyway.

So it is not always entirely down to the addicted person's choice.
    That's exactly the point I was making. The cause may be an illness, but the addiction is not. It's most certainly a real thing, but the only one who can really break it is the addict themselves, ideally with the support of those closest to him / her. It's even been shown that putting drug addicts in prison & totally cleaning their system of the drug is of no use unless the addict wants to remain that way. Otherwise, as soon as they get out they're straight onto their next fix.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    It's even been shown that putting drug addicts in prison & totally cleaning their system of the drug is of no use unless the addict wants to remain that way. Otherwise, as soon as they get out they're straight onto their next fix.
    Which sorta confirms the notion that it's a mental condition rather than an actual dependency on the substance ?

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

There are 2 types of addiction. There's the physical dependancy & the mental dependancy. The physical dependancy is that once it's out of your system, physically, be it by gradual withdrawal or by cold turkey, then it's out. There is also the mental addiction where the addict is convinced that they need it - much the same as Religion. In fact, in many ways, Religion could even be seen as an addiction. There's the Social users - those who just use it to meet with friends once a week & partake in a quick fix. Although they can also end up getting more & more involved in their Church activities, until they get to the point that they can't cope without it. It may sound flippant, but it is an addiction & works the same way nonetheless. It eases the reality of life for a brief moment, and then you want that escape more & more until the point when you can't face reality any more.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    07:09 PM
    Gifts Beer Beer

Changing mental states in the way you describe is incredibly hard. Finding God appears to be one of the more successful ways of doing it (or substituting one addiction with another less harmful one, depending on your point of view). But when the drug is the only thing in their lives that has ever been reliable and good to them anything short of breaking the cycle completely is just sticking plaster over a gaping wound. Breaking the cycle involves destroying the poverty trap, in my opinion. Not easy.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    01:09 PM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    Which sorta confirms the notion that it's a mental condition rather than an actual dependency on the substance ?
    It depends. Some substances are very physically addictive.
    Nicotine, for example is monstrous. The toughest thing I ever did was to quit smoking. Heroin and other Opiates are very physically addicting.
    Combine that with the behavioral addiction process, and you have a tough job getting off some addictions.

First step is always, get away from the stuff and wean the individual from the immediate contamination. Cleanse the system.
    But after that, one must remove himself from the environment where the addiction is fed. Stop hanging out with the people who support the substance use. You cannot easily quit smoking tobacco if all the people you hang out with smoke. You cannot quit alcohol, and still hang out in the pub with all your pals for whom a few pints are part of the daily grind.
    Well, some people can, but it takes a superhuman willpower, which, if you have, you probably would not have become addicted in the first place.

The physical part is relatively easy to handle. The social aspect is the tough part.

As to the "Self-inflicted" question.
    Absolutely. We make these choices, often knowing that they will have serious impact, and think that "It won't happen to me."
    The negative impact of tobacco smoking was well known by the time I was approaching my teens. So was Alcohol use. We did it anyway. We had to be cool and tough, and we weren't scared of all that stuff.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."
    - Anonymous

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time

As I always said, giving up smoking is easy....................................I have done it 5 times before...........I wont be restarting anytime soon this time.

I know about the physical addiction, remove the source and it alters your concentration, mood, it can actually give pain.

I knew alcohol was addictive when I had my first pint, so why was it I and others in the same group of drinkers, with the same intake have escaped alcoholism when a few have succumbed ?
    As well as a physical self inflicted side to the addiction, there is a mental dependence as well, amongst certain people

superstar
    is returning

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    11:09 AM
    Gifts Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    I am on the fence about it being an illness too.
    Sadly for some it's an escape from something much larger and much more horrifying, it's a coping tactic.
    Many times addiction is a result of abuse.

On the flip side, it starts with something that one finds pleasure in and suddenly one is lost deep within addictions grip.
    �You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�
    ― Mae West

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast