I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    09-20-2017
    Local Time
    01:48 PM

Re: Addiction self inflicted?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Aspam View Post
    I was just watching the nightly news (NBC) and there was a big report about opioid addiction in the USA. I had heard similar reports previously but this one was quite lengthy and scary. Addicts not convicted of any crime but confined in the local jail because there was no room in the hospitals.

I wouldn't know an opioid if it bit me on the ass.
    the drugs they give you after major surgeries. Most medical clinics have a sign and a list of drugs they will not prescribe unless you are under their doctors care for major health issues or surgeries.

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    09-20-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    My wife's daughter was put on Tramadol for some reason, when seen by another doctor he was worried about the length of time she had been on it.
    Don't know if tramadol is highly addictive, only that Frankie Boyle had a comedy series called Tramadol Nights, which I never watched anyway.

So it is not always entirely down to the addicted person's choice.
    I have tramadol. But on strict instruction to only take it when absolutely neccesary. (I can be trusted because i hate taking medications. and I know the difference between "oh my god I'm dying here" to " well it will take the edge off") My brtherinlaw on the other hand takes it like a lolly....that's how bad his back pain is.
    I seem to have a real problem with these kind of drugs. They knock me around too much.
    I still remember being accused of drunkiness on this very forum back in 2012..... I wasn't of course but the mixture of drugs I was on after surgery, made me feel fiiiine....but didn't come over too well outwardly. Was seeing pretty unicorns and rainbows and snippets of dance routines from Bonnie Doon

is just wandrin

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-19-2017
    Local Time
    08:48 PM
    Gifts Balloons Cake Gift

It has long been known that children of alcoholics/addicts are more likely to become alcoholics/addicts themselves. I vaguely recall reading about a study that tried to see if this correlation extends to those who don't remember or never met the addicted parent. As I recall, they found a correlation, but the study size was too small to definitively change prevailing opinions as to whether the proclivity can be inherited. If so, though, that would lend a bit of support to the disease theory.

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    09-20-2017
    Local Time

I've only ever seen studies where there's a correlation between the nature and nurture aspects. And it wasn't conclusive. Tea totallers give birth to addicts as well. In fact I know some addicted to tea and coffee.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-20-2017
    Local Time
    04:48 AM
    Gifts Beer Beer

There are certainly people who are more prone to addiction than others. I'm one and have suffered for it. Fought alcohol to a draw and am currently failing to stop smoking. Speed was another addiction - and why I stopped biking (not the other sort of speed...). I think being a bit of an obsessive type plays into it, as well. These days I am very careful. Totally addicted to tea though.

Reasons for it I think are a mix of nature and nurture: You need to have tendencies (which may in themselves be good things or at least neutral traits) that get pushed in bad directions by your environment especially in childhood. Once the pattern has been set in adulthood, that's it for life I think. You can't cure, you can only control.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-20-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

Addiction to cigarettes is much worse than most people even realise. The reality is that it's not even the nicotine that most smokers are addicted to, but the other chemicals that are added to the cigarettes. This is no accident. It's in the substances that are claimed to be there in order to keep the cigarettes alight. After all, if you take a hand rolled one, if you don't keep puffing on it, it will go out. This is because there is only the tobacco to keep it going. The tailor made ones, however, have a far more deadly cocktail of chemicals, and it is these chamicals which are known to be highly addictive as well as even more carcinogenic that tobacco.

I used to be a smoker, but of pipe & hand rolled cigarettes. However, I quit about 25 - 30 years ago. I didn't have any problems in quitting. I just said one day, that's it - no more, and that's all there was to it. You will also find that the majority of those who have difficulty in giving up are using tailor made ones. In fact the best way to quit, if you are not up to total cold turkey is to switch first to hand rolled, and then to quit.

Furthermore, never say that you're "trying to quit". I so doing you are giving yourself a back door to get back into it. You must decide to quit outright.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-20-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

I was a long term smoker, first tailor made then for economy hand rolled. I had a brief period with a pipe, but I was a very wet smoker (some would say I'm a drip) another time I was on cigars, only small ones.

I disagree, hand rolled was my choice even when I could afford tailor made, the satisfaction was such that I would need a roll up after a proper cigarette.
    A lot of nicotine addiction is habit, a reward after a period of work, at breaks, after meals etc.

The key to giving up is the real personal desire to quit, outside pressure doesn't work. I gave up several times, only to reward my good behaviour with a smoke at the end of my day.
    A conversation with my doctor finally gave me the zeal to make my serial quiting a permanent one.
    I will confess to enjoying a roll up recently at my birthday do.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-20-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

The only thing I miss about having given up is the occasional bit of home grown.

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    09-20-2017
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Addiction .... (I've been looking into it because ...Well how many times now have I tried to give up?) There is a school of thought that there is no such thing as addiction. It's actually a personality trait. People who tend to take up mindboggling meanless stuff like smoking would have once been the explorers of the world, the carers the hunters, inventors...they were the unstoppable one eyed doers of their tribes.... they did "STUFF". They need to be free to do their stuff as well. Apparently those with the "doing" trait will fill a void with a mundane thing (whatever society has going) to fill a frustration....a frustration with not being able to do what they want when they want to.

The trick to kick one habit is to replace it with another, to fill that frustration. You all hear things like "it relaxes me" , "it's a reward", " it's something to do with my hands". These aren't excuses. These are true and real emotions and thought processes.

To cure yourself? the next time you find yourself doing something that interests you and has your mind so engaged you find you smoke less KEEP DOING IT.
    OR
    take off and do what you want, when you want, where ever you want. < --------- because that's what your personality is geared toward. Unfortunetly in the times we live in the barstards just wont let us do it.

So the next time someone who is a gym junkie or runs everyday says they are heaps more healthier than yourself.......technically in "body" it's true. But in their head? not so much, because they are performing the same ritual as yourself.

and fourpart is correct. It's the chemicals. Even the cigarette companies figured all this out in the early seventies and fixed that little problem of people realising they could do other stuff rather than smoke. they already had those frustrated due to their personality...... but what about all the rest?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3