07-28-2017
    Local Time
    11:45 AM
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Addiction self inflicted?

This article got me thinking

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...v-star-illness

in particular.

As someone who has spent time in rehab for drink problems, I can tell you that it’s absolutely key to tackle this element of shame that is currently in his mind. Let me be clear: no more than someone suffering from cancer has he let anyone down. Not friends, family, colleagues, fans, or himself. He’s unwell, pure and simple, and he needs to go somewhere where he can get well – safely – and where he can learn the techniques he needs to remain safe and sober in the future.
    Can't say I agree, someone with cancer has no choice in the matter someone who has become addicted does and can choose to come off it. Don't misunderstand I know the reasons for addiction are complex and can be tied in with mental health and in this particular case prescription painkillers seem to be the start of it.

But you can choose not to take drugs, not to drink not to gamble to compare it as an illness with cancer I find deeply offensive. There are people my age dying early for what are smoking related diseases heart attack, cancer etc. While I sympathise they knew the potential consequences and could have chosen not to smoke. There are poeple also dyingh because of smoking but where second hand smoke was the cause and they have reason to be angry although there is little point in being so.

But this annoys me addiction whatever the reason is self inflicted and be stopped. Or do you disaagree?

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    07-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Re: Addistion self inflicted?

I think there are two conditions.

There's people who aren't addicted, and there's people who are addicted.

Someone who isn't addicted self-inflicts if they engage an addictive practice.

Someone who's addicted is unwell.

Neither person is in the same category as the other.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    07-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

Re: Addistion self inflicted?

Know what you are saying but disagree.
    Some people have addictive personalities, I see it as a sort of mental illness.
    I have known at least a couple of alcoholics, that would deny they are, it crept up on them, now to be normal it takes a can or two, or a swift shot.
    Like anorexia it's easy to say to the sufferer ........Eat, or a gambling addict stay away from the betting shop, but the nature of addiction is it's just not as easy as that.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Re: Addiction self inflicted?

I'm not disputing addiction is an illness but it is not on a par, imo, with something like cancer where there is really no choice in the matter. Nor is it on a par with a mental illness like say schizophrenia. Anecdotally I know three people with manic depression where what brought it on seems to have been the use of marijuana not much of a sample I know but it is a factor in my non scientific opinion. I also knew people who were heavy drug users, being in a room with someone tripping on acid is a novel experience to put it mildly. I know drunkards (bear in mind where I live it was at times almost obligatory and getting totally wasted is still socially acceptable it took a lot of strength of character to turn roind and refuse to drink - it was like farting in a lift perty pooper is one of the milder epithets ) and alcoholics and junkies while I jave sympathy for the latter amnd think they should get help their illness is in large part self inflicted which was the point I was making.

posted by bruv
    Like anorexia it's easy to say to the sufferer ........Eat, or a gambling addict stay away from the betting shop, but the nature of addiction is it's just not as easy as that.
    Anorexia is a poor comparison with addiction sufferers don't have a lot of choice in their bahaviour addicts do. When you are sober you can decide not to have that first drink

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    07-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

Think in everything you have said you have forgotten the word .......Addiction.
    It might be choice to drink or not to drink or gamble or not to gamble......to start with.
    But for that one person in a group of drinkers.........it becomes a need, sometimes a physical requirement to get to normality.
    Sometimes an addict can function 'normally' after satisfying the craving, the only person to know would be the addict.
    Those groups that sit in town centres with bottles of White Diamond are only the tip of a very big iceberg, the really intelligent capable addicts are doctors, bankers and MPs.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    Think in everything you have said you have forgotten the word .......Addiction.
    It might be choice to drink or not to drink or gamble or not to gamble......to start with.
    But for that one person in a group of drinkers.........it becomes a need, sometimes a physical requirement to get to normality.
    Sometimes an addict can function 'normally' after satisfying the craving, the only person to know would be the addict.
    Those groups that sit in town centres with bottles of White Diamond are only the tip of a very big iceberg, the really intelligent capable addicts are doctors, bankers and MPs.
    Quite well aware of that but once more I reiterate that I do not consider alcohol or drug addiction an illness the same way as something like cancer or pneumonia is. It's the comparison I take umbrage at. Whatever the reason it starts be it stress or whatever it is any addiction is self inflicted. I've worked alongside functioning alcoholics I know people that became addicted to pain killers - and got themselves off them once they realised what was happening. Good luck to ant and as it happens I don't think he needs to apologise either but someone with cancer is going to die and there's usually **** all they can do about it and very seldom was it a lifestyle choice.

A child with leukemia or bone cancer did not cause their own illness by and large alcoholics and drug addicts do, while I sympathise to compare the two is in imo wrong.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

A child with leukemia or bone cancer did not cause their own illness by and large alcoholics and drug addicts do, while I sympathise to compare the two is in imo wrong.
    How can I possibly argue with that?

All I'd add is that the heroin addict I know got there because she was originally prescribed valium, then when it was realised how bad it was she was taken off it. Straight to cold turkey with no relief and she was on valium for a reason (It was a wrong prescription imo, but that's how it was back then).

Then someone said hey, this'll take the edge off and she was hurting so much she did...

After a certain point, comparing tragedies is pointless. They're just effin tragedies. Kids with cancer or addiction top the tree as far as I'm concerned. No difference worth bothering about in the face of that sort of horrible as far as I can see.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-28-2017
    Local Time
    05:45 AM

I was just watching the nightly news (NBC) and there was a big report about opioid addiction in the USA. I had heard similar reports previously but this one was quite lengthy and scary. Addicts not convicted of any crime but confined in the local jail because there was no room in the hospitals.

I wouldn't know an opioid if it bit me on the ass. I'm not even sure that I'm spelling it correctly.

Does the UK have a similar problem?

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Without having seen the report I can't be sure, but we do have problems. Our cultures are linked, and if you have a problem, there's good chance it will end up over here. Drugs do. Your gangsters don't seem to have though, nor the mafia, come to that. Not sure why.

It's not all bad, of course. The musical interaction has historically been hugely influential in both directions, though the prevailing wind is westerly.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-28-2017
    Local Time
    05:45 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    Without having seen the report I can't be sure, but we do have problems. Our cultures are linked, and if you have a problem, there's good chance it will end up over here. Drugs do. Your gangsters don't seem to have though, nor the mafia, come to that. Not sure why.

It's not all bad, of course. The musical interaction has historically been hugely influential in both directions, though the prevailing wind is westerly.
    I'm not sure but I think if you google NBC News or NBC Nightly News you may be able to call up the report.

Regarding gangsters and Mafia, I haven't heard of such activity for years. But I live in a relatively small city, perhaps such scum is active elsewhere. Here we do have some drug peddlers though, they come and go, when they go it's usually to jail.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast