----

Local Date
    05-22-2018
    Local Time
    10:41 PM
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Re: Fire and Fury

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    Actually, I'd love it if Barack got invited & the sh!thole didn't. They haven't put me in charge of the guest list, unfortunately.
    So would I. The sight of our government kowtowing to him and the prospect of the UK post brexit being flooded with american food exports that are benned from the eu to the detriment of our own farmers is alarming. For a bunch of tossers waving the patriot flag and taking back control the brexiteers seem all too ready to bend over for the sake of a non existent special relationship..

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    05-22-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

So would I. The sight of our government kowtowing to him and the prospect of the UK post brexit being flooded with american food exports that are benned from the eu to the detriment of our own farmers is alarming. For a bunch of tossers waving the patriot flag and taking back control the brexiteers seem all too ready to bend over for the sake of a non existent special relationship..

There is a special relationship between the UK and US, I think, but it's not an active political alliance or anything like that. It does however keep cropping up in our history in all sorts of ways.

Now we have a black American becoming a black British princess and are discussing implications. We can do so easily with language and culture enough in common to see eachothers' points.

At the London Olympics I recall Michael Johnson(iirc) running round Stonehenge with the Olympic torch. Somehow, somewhy, our two countries between them are making big points about people and those points matter. It's something aspirational, something hopeful and something celebratory and it's bigger than any single country.

In the WWs the Atlantic link was vital in securing the freedom of Europe

During the Revolution there were remarkably few atrocities between British and American, at least that I know of. If anyone does know of any atrocities I'd be interested to hear about them (I've heard something about a Brandywine incident but am not sure if it qualifies, and we burned the White House but was anyone actually hurt?). I understand that things between Loyalist and Patriot became unpleasant but even there was there much killing? There does not seem to have been a great legacy of hate, anyway, of the sort that poisons eg the Balkans (most of the hate seems to have come with the Irish, which is understandable). Chuckle. A dig in the US shown on our Time Team programme found an imported chamber pot with a little clay head of George III sticking up from the bottom to receive the homage Americans wished to offer. Made in England...

Before the Revolution, redcoats acted in support of the settlers, and before that, American Puritans came to support their English and Scottish Brethren against the papist king in surprising numbers.

That's just a quick outline of big features. It doesn't mention for example the number of us who have relatives in the other place, or the slave trade except indirectly with the black people I started by talking about, or the creation of the atom bomb, or popular music. But to me, that is our special relationship: The sheer amount of shared history and a lot of it co-operative and big issue stuff especially compared to relationships with other countries. And it's ongoing, as the wedding shows. There even seem to be links between Trump and brexit.

Australia, New Zealand and Canada are different. Rightly or wrongly I consider them more like family. The US is not. Heck, it's not always been possible to say we are friends. But we both call the Atlantic the Pond.

Other than that, I agree

edit: I'm remembering something about some Bostonians being shot in a riot connected with the Revolution. Definitely some killed there and propaganda use made of it.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    05-22-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    During the Revolution there were remarkably few atrocities between British and American, at least that I know of.
    I always thought Robert Browning's "How They Brought the Good News from Ghent to Aix" qualified, but having just looked it turns out not to be about the American Revolution at all. That's fifty years preconception down the drain.

It's definitely an atrocity though.

Not a word to each other; we kept the great pace
    Neck by neck, stride by stride, never changing our place;
    I turned in my saddle and made its girths tight,
    Then shortened each stirrup, and set the pique right,
    Rebuckled the cheek-strap, chained slacker the bit,
    Nor galloped less steadily Roland a whit.

https://www.bl.uk/learning/langlit/p...browning2.html

A viler doggerelist never wrote.

I was confused by Paul Revere's Ride, no doubt.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    05-22-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

One of the Glorifiers of Empire and the Amazing English who Created and Ran It while Fighting French Tyranny! (with a few Scottish, Welsh and Irish sidekicks...)

is is well-rested.

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    05-22-2018
    Local Time
    03:41 PM
    Gifts Beer Burger Car Beer

I am a non-violent person. But our current president is such an a$$hole, that if we were both were back in high school...I would kick his a$$. Hard.

is is well-rested.

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    05-22-2018
    Local Time
    03:41 PM
    Gifts Beer Burger Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    There is a special relationship between the UK and US, I think, but it's not an active political alliance or anything like that. It does however keep cropping up in our history in all sorts of ways.
    I'm glad to hear someone else say that. It's certainly how I have always felt. Kind of like having distant relatives who you are very fond of, but don't see often. the number of Brts on this board is one of the reasons I hang around here despite my incredibly busy days. (I work four jobs and take care of an invalid girl.)

Now we have a black American becoming a black British princess
    Strange for you, but a joy for us. We have no royalty to adore...just rich white jerks and nobody likes them.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    05-22-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    Strange for you, but a joy for us. We have no royalty to adore...just rich white jerks and nobody likes them.
    It's not strange. It's definitely a joy....Having spent a few minutes pondering I think it can best be described as satisfying some sort of sense of rightness. We are a multicultural multiracial society like it or not and that our royal family now reflects that modern reality feels right to me. And it's been an entirely natural, organic process: they are getting married for eachother, as it should be, but it has an impact way beyond them. I saw some American tweets from black women...I can't exactly recall them and I can't remotely do them justice in paraphrase but I think delirious with joy is a good description.

It's something that brings people closer rather than pushing them apart. It gives every mixed race marriage the highest social seal of approval. And they do seem very much in love and you have to be fairly hard hearted not to react to that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8