I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-19-2018
    Local Time
    06:30 PM
    Gifts Kitten

Will Oprah Run?

There's speculation swirling around the media today about this because of a speech she gave at an awards show last night. I watched the speech on youtube and it is quite good and well delivered.

Would you vote for Ophrah Winfrey for president? In spite of her complete lack of understanding regarding atheism, I would strongly consider it.

She's smart enough, she has name recognition, she might stand a chance resisting neocons and liberal hawks and she doesn't need the job.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    01-19-2018
    Local Time
    11:30 PM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Re: Will Oprah Run?

I'm quite prepared to accept her brightness on trust, I've never seen or heard her speak.

On the other hand she'd be 66 at the next election. Why on earth can't we skip a generation and find a 46 year old, or better yet a 36 year old? I'm tired of gerontocracy. Small, lean and driven by a new vision of an equitable future, that's what I'd like to see in 2020 and someone past retirement age isn't part of that picture. Find me a team of college graduates in their twenties and fund them into the White House with enthusiastic new blood in Congress authorized to back the political revolution.

Twenty years ago I'd have been excited by Jerry Springer, I think you're trying to achieve a similar effect.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-19-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Well, my first thought is:
    Oh, Great, another celebrity wanting to be president.
    Look how well that has worked out so far.

Having said that,
    She is much smarter than the other ones, and actually has some understanding of the struggles that the common citizen faces, and probably pays a lot more attention to the world events that the current POS.., err, ah, POTUS ever has.

Articulate and thoughtful, and knows how to "play well with others"

I would wonder form where she would pull her cabinet members, and what kind of relationship she would build with the military leaders.

At this point I am close to joining the "Anybody but Trump" school of thought, but seeing what the "Anyone but Obama" strategy got the Pubs in 2012, I hope we don't go there.

Can she come up with the creds to get on the Democrat ticket? Or do you suppose she would run as a 3rd party?
    The only sure bulwark of continuing liberty is a government strong enough to protect the interests of the people, and a people strong enough and well enough informed to maintain its sovereign control over the goverment.
    - Franklin D Roosevelt

is jellyfish

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    01-20-2018
    Local Time
    10:30 AM

REally? Americans had a hard time with a black man in the white house .....any excuse to keep a white woman out of it ......and now youre suggesting a black woman. I'm not sure you guys are forward thinking enough.

Present company excepted .

Premium Member
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    01-19-2018
    Local Time
    05:30 PM
    Gifts Beer Beer

Without knowing who the Republican candidate will be, I hope she runs another Democratic Party crash and burn.
    "The judge who always likes the results he reaches is a bad judge.".

is just wandrin

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    01-19-2018
    Local Time
    03:30 PM
    Gifts Balloons Cake Gift

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    Without knowing who the Republican candidate will be, I hope she runs another Democratic Party crash and burn.
    What if she runs as a Republican?

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-19-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Wandrin View Post
    Hah! that would turn the tables a bit.
    The only sure bulwark of continuing liberty is a government strong enough to protect the interests of the people, and a people strong enough and well enough informed to maintain its sovereign control over the goverment.
    - Franklin D Roosevelt

is jellyfish

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    01-20-2018
    Local Time
    10:30 AM

Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    REally? Americans had a hard time with a black man in the white house .....any excuse to keep a white woman out of it ......and now youre suggesting a black woman. I'm not sure you guys are forward thinking enough.

Present company excepted .
    ANd instead you guys went with a failed millionaire , mysoginist pig, a bit bat crazy narcisist ...... who keeps putting his foot in it internationally.

she couldn't do worse.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-19-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Kitten

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I'm quite prepared to accept her brightness on trust, I've never seen or heard her speak.

On the other hand she'd be 66 at the next election. Why on earth can't we skip a generation and find a 46 year old, or better yet a 36 year old? I'm tired of gerontocracy. Small, lean and driven by a new vision of an equitable future, that's what I'd like to see in 2020 and someone past retirement age isn't part of that picture. Find me a team of college graduates in their twenties and fund them into the White House with enthusiastic new blood in Congress authorized to back the political revolution.
    I think our establishment needs more dismantling before that can be achieved. There are still too many embedded old WASPs still just old enough to exert themselves. That's my opinion, anyway.

America's political structure is such that slow and deliberate change is required. I suppose that's a good thing in lots of ways, but it also challenges the patience of the society. And we as a people have shown little ability to be patient. Maybe that's because the structure also serves to represses us in ways other than serving the economy.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

Premium Member
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    01-19-2018
    Local Time
    05:30 PM
    Gifts Beer Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandrin View Post
    Why not? Trump pulled off running as a Republican.
    "The judge who always likes the results he reaches is a bad judge.".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast