Happy

Local Date
    10-18-2018
    Local Time
    04:11 AM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Maplins

Maplin collapses as rescue talks fail - BBC News

"One of the UK's biggest electronics retailers has collapsed into administration after talks with buyers failed to secure a sale"

I haven't an ounce of sympathy. For the last twenty years I've invariably come out of Maplins feeling annoyed, and more often than not having refused to buy what I needed in protest at their price. When they started they were a useful space on the high street, then they turned to selling products rather than components. Bad cess to whoever wrecked an originally useful company.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-18-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Re: Maplins

The problem imo with companies like amazon and e-bay is that they are parasites. People go in to shops see what they want then order it from amazon because it's cheaper (often it's not they just think it is) but it's cheapeer because they pay low wages epoloiting their staff and don't pay taxes in the countries where they make all the profit thereby gaining from the education systems that educate their work force and the welfare systems that look after them if they can't work without contributing anything at all to the community. They also import stuff from abroad and don't pay any of the tariffs due getting away with it because the onus is on the seller.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...rs-amazon-ebay

That our government lets thaem away with it is appalling and no it's not the fault of the eu.

These same people then go on to lament the demise of the high street.

Bear in miond pc world, carphone warehouse are also in trouble personally I don't want to have no shops left I like to look at things before buying.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-18-2018
    Local Time

We do seem to disagree on this issue.

I know of no shop in England which pays noticeably more than the statutory minimum wage for shop workers, I don't believe Amazon or eBay behaves any worse than that for either its picking staff or its customer-facing online staff. If I were to guess, I'd say the staff at all higher levels in either company is paid a damn sight more than any shop staff you could find.

I have no reason to think eBay's tax position is any different to other large firms. As for Amazon charging Luxembourg-based 0% VAT that's a governmental choice, they have always had the power to legislate against that if the chose and they've never stopped it. I think they ought, but I don't see why Amazon should volunteer to break the rules in Britain's favour if they're not compelled.

The death of the High Street is down to out-of-town shopping malls, none of which should ever have been allowed in the first place. The death of small family-owned retail outlets in town is a consequence of bloody huge sixties concrete developments with a thousand shops in each, all selling greetings cards and suchlike tat. I blame councils, they should have redeveloped sympathetically instead of ripping out entire streets.

Given the choice of going into town and wasting a half day searching shops for what I want, or getting a home delivery after searching a far wider range of goods online, it's not even a question. Online shopping is nirvana when compared with the inadequate alternative you seem to prefer.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-18-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

My input.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-18-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

posted by spot

I know of no shop in England which pays noticeably more than the statutory minimum wage for shop workers, I don't believe Amazon or eBay behaves any worse than that for either its picking staff or its customer-facing online staff. If I were to guess, I'd say the staff at all higher levels in either company is paid a damn sight more than any shop staff you could find.
    Aldi to become highest-paying supermarket in the UK with pay rise for 3,000-strong workforce | The Independent

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/48519...ers-in-the-uk/

You're right about tesco and morrisons and sainsbury's though I've worked for asda and know people who work for tesco's and amazon.

I have no reason to think eBay's tax position is any different to other large firms. As for Amazon charging Luxembourg-based 0% VAT that's a governmental choice, they have always had the power to legislate against that if the chose and they've never stopped it. I think they ought, but I don't see why Amazon should volunteer to break the rules in Britain's favour if they're not compelled.
    We do agree I was making the same point that our government let's them do it.

That our government lets them away with it is appalling and no it's not the fault of the eu.
    The death of the High Street is down to out-of-town shopping malls, none of which should ever have been allowed in the first place. The death of small family-owned retail outlets in town is a consequence of bloody huge sixties concrete developments with a thousand shops in each, all selling greetings cards and suchlike tat. I blame councils, they should have redeveloped sympathetically instead of ripping out entire streets.
    It's not quite that simple. The out of town superstores originally came in to being to service the large number of housing estates that were built without any shops being provided for in part because the "traditional" retailers thought people would always come in to town to shop - you don't go in to town for groceries if it involves taking the car or the bus in to do so. The high street forgot the basic three rules of retailing, location, location, location. The likes of asda used to provide a free bus service from the big housing estates to their stores and taking your car to an out of town centre is a lot quicker and more convenient than going in to town. I get fed up with people bleating about the demise of the high street - if you don't happen to live near one (a high street) it's simply more convenient and cheaper to go to an out of town mall. I live in one of the new towns with a massive shopping centre, a sainsbury's asda aldi, lidl, maplins, halfords all withinmh walking distance of each other once I have parked my car in one of the car parks. There are six outdoor sports outlets, for instance why on earth would I go in to edinburgh or glasgow to the small family owned outlets that never actually existed except in fond memory and wander around in the wind and rain not to mention snow. My local shop happ[ens to be a superstore. Bristol might have a nice town centre most industrial cities did not. Where was the magical town centre in birmingham or manchester? LLandudno is nice but if you liove there you go to asda for groceriesw.

I don't shop online because I simply prefer to support shops and if I'm buying something I want to see and touch it and try it on for size. Imagine how you will lament when the last bookshop closes

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-18-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    posted by spot

Aldi to become highest-paying supermarket in the UK with pay rise for 3,000-strong workforce | The Independent

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/48519...ers-in-the-uk/

You're right about tesco and morrisons and sainsbury's though I've worked for asda and know people who work for tesco's and amazon.
    Your Independent link begins "From next month, Aldi staff will earn £8.53 per hour, raised to £9.75 per hour for those who live in London."

I doubt any Amazon picker or online support agent gets significantly less than that, and as you say the figures are from "the UK’s highest-paying supermarket." I don't see how this implies criticism of Amazon.

Bristol does not have a nice town centre. It did have until the sixties when the council planners decided an inner ring road would be more use. They tore up a lot of the old walled city housing, concreted over, built a vast shopping centre and car parks everywhere, it's an eyesore. Had it been sympathetically restored it would have been a jewel. As it is, the only place I can think of more hideous is Birmingham.

As for bookshops, nearly all my books are environmentally friendly and live on my Kindle. I still buy a couple a week like I did when they were made of cardboard. If I want a proper hardback I get it online from Abebooks where I can find what I want from the tens of millions of titles in their searchable index of books for sale. I can remember, before online bookshops, having to drive to Hay-on-Wye to find a book I was looking for.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-18-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

I doubt any Amazon picker or online support agent gets significantly less than that, and as you say the figures are from "the UK’s highest-paying supermarket." I don't see how this implies criticism of Amazon.
    The minimum wage is £7.50. There's more to it than that tesco's, asda, dpd, hermes usea uk mail not to mention call centres use a lot of agency staff minimum wage six hour shifts (after six hours they are entitled to a half hour break under the working time directive one of the many protections that will disappear after brexit. The "red tape" so offensive to many on the right is usually workplace health and safety regulations) on zero hours contracts. Many of the full time staff are on part time hours that can be incrteased at busy times like christmas usually on a take it or leave basis. Part time working suits employers if they keep down the obligation tp provide holiday pay and sick pay not to mention pension rights. It was the european courts that ruled discrimination against part time workers was illegal when it came to pension rights. That so many councils are now facing big bills becaise of all the years they deprived workers of pensions is due to their own malfeasance that it sonly recebntly became illegal is just too bad.

You get couple working full time that are eligible for income support in effect the taxpayer is subsidising some of the most profitable business in the Uk as well as not taxing them.

It's all very well to for some to argue(not you) people have a choice but I've worked alongside qualified engineers, plumbers, joiners even one PHD in chemical engineering doing these kinds of jobs because there are no alternatives manufacturing is dead even if the tories do seem to believe in this mythical private sector that is going to provide apprenticeships and the like. The brexit vote in the north of england and wales has more to do with resentment and anger at the position people find themselves in than any animus towards the eu. To paraphrase the late jogn reid "you can't build an economy of call centers and coffee shops" or low paid jobs in distribution centres with no job security and constant fear of being fired. The gig economy suits some (like me as it happens) it's different when you can't get out of it.

As for bookshops, nearly all my books are environmentally friendly and live on my Kindle. I still buy a couple a week like I did when they were made of cardboard. If I want a proper hardback I get it online from Abebooks where I can find what I want from the tens of millions of titles in their searchable index of books for sale. I can remember, before online bookshops, having to drive to Hay-on-Wye to find a book I was looking for.
    I still use my local library there are a lot of authors I would have never read if I had to stump up £10 or for a book. Libraries are closing down all over the country beause they are an easy target whereas they were once seen as essential. Kindle is a rip[ off IMO the e- books are not any cheaper than the real ones.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-18-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    Kindle is a rip[ off IMO the e- books are not any cheaper than the real ones.
    That, to be fair, is extremely untrue. Kindle books are invariably cheaper than real ones, and are quite often less than half the price. The reason I buy them is not only the reduced cost but also the immediate delivery - within a minute - and the fact that my Kindle currently carries 150 books with no increase in weight. I can carry it in my manbag while having a half dozen books on the go, which I can't do with six hardbacks. The extreme diversity of books available beats any bookstore in the world, and I can send free books to it from any source I choose. I've free books on my Kindle from Gutenberg, from out-of-copyright Google Books and from stuff I've scanned or printed at home.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-18-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    That, to be fair, is extremely untrue. Kindle books are invariably cheaper than real ones, and are quite often less than half the price. The reason I buy them is not only the reduced cost but also the immediate delivery - within a minute - and the fact that my Kindle currently carries 150 books with no increase in weight. I can carry it in my manbag while having a half dozen books on the go, which I can't do with six hardbacks. The extreme diversity of books available beats any bookstore in the world, and I can send free books to it from any source I choose. I've free books on my Kindle from Gutenberg, from out-of-copyright Google Books and from stuff I've scanned or printed at home.
    I did say IMO. I know it's not still the case but at one point you could only download books bought from amazon and I would want to be able to transfer the books to other devices for safekeeping. If I buy a book I own it I don't want amazon dictating how I store it. Did look at kobo but decided not to bother with the whole idea. I like books it's a tactile experience as well an eye straining one. My local library has a free download book service I prefer the real thing.

I still prefer to have a cd rather than downloads on my smartphone or the i player I don't have I listen mainly in the car while driving. I'm not a technophobe or incapable of doing it I just don't want it. I also don't store stuff on the cloud and have no intentions of ever talking to my computer although there have been occasions when expressing my displeasure with a sledgehammer has had a certain appeal.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-18-2018
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast