I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-24-2018
    Local Time
    12:12 AM
    Gifts Beer Beer

20 years of the Good Friday Agreement

I felt it needed an acknowledgement. The process may be stalled at present with the deadlock at Stormont but I saw a stat that really illustrated what it has achieved:

In the 20 years before the Good Friday Agreement 1,500 people were killed as a result of the Troubles. In the 20 years since it's been 150. And most of those were in the early years.

We curse and damn our politicians, often with good reason. So when they achieve something that saves lives, makes peace and gives a chance of prosperity then it should be applauded.

The Peace Agreement was never an end point. Peace did not happen immediately - the Omagh Bombing killed 37 iirc after the Agreement and both brexit and poor politics threaten it today.

But Bertie Ahern, John Major, Tony Blair, Gerry Adams, Mo Mowlam, Martin McGuinness all should get credit for that one. I'm sure there are others but those are the names that come immediately to mind for me.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

is .

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    04-24-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

Re: 20 years of the Good Friday Agreement

Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    I felt it needed an acknowledgement. The process may be stalled at present with the deadlock at Stormont but I saw a stat that really illustrated what it has achieved:

In the 20 years before the Good Friday Agreement 1,500 people were killed as a result of the Troubles. In the 20 years since it's been 150. And most of those were in the early years.

We curse and damn our politicians, often with good reason. So when they achieve something that saves lives, makes peace and gives a chance of prosperity then it should be applauded.

The Peace Agreement was never an end point. Peace did not happen immediately - the Omagh Bombing killed 37 iirc after the Agreement and both brexit and poor politics threaten it today.

But Bertie Ahern, John Major, Tony Blair, Gerry Adams, Mo Mowlam, Martin McGuinness all should get credit for that one. I'm sure there are others but those are the names that come immediately to mind for me.
    True, it's the one thing I'll give Blair some credit for. I do note that the coalition partners in our current government were the only party to vote against the agreement at the time but, thankfully, Ian Paisley is no longer running the DUP. (To give him some credit, although he campaigned against the agreement at the time he did mellow in later years and was occasionally known to be polite to Martin McGuinness).

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-24-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Re: 20 years of the Good Friday Agreement

Register to remove this ad.
    The DUP definitely voted against the Good Friday Agreement. There was another later set of negotiations that added other safeguards and dealt with IRA decommissioning because it seems the IRA really were dragging their feet on that. It took the second set of negotiations to sort that out and get the DUP on board but the political structures put in place then are a large part of the reason for the deadlock now. It is, apparently, a very clunky system. At the time I remember hearing of the decommissioning issue and not being able to decide if it was propaganda or genuine. I also remember hearing around that time that if they wanted to decommission properly they'd have to pull down a lot of houses because many had guns hidden in the walls when they were built...never known the truth of that one either.

The Chuckle Brothers...

Now that was a strange one, for those who have no reason to know what we're referring to. It was the name given to Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness who formed the unlikeliest of friendships when First Minister and Deputy respectively. It's as if Netanyahu and Arafat became joint leaders of Israel and Palestine, then buddies and were frequently pictured laughing together (hence the name). The name was taken from a children's programme on tv around the time.

2 flavours of Chuckle Brothers:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...electedIndex=1

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...electedIndex=3
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

+ Reply to Thread