Cool

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time
    02:16 AM
    Gifts Balloons Heart Cake

Re: Canada's bus beheading man found not guilty

Quote Originally Posted by Odie View Post
    they knew this and on one helped him before he committed this hideous crime.

after only one year, he is doing much better.......what about his victims's family etc.?
    Then shame on them for not doing anything sooner, as is evident the schizophrenic is responding well to the correct treatment at last.

His victims family, I feel for them for sure, it was a truly horrific way to lose a relative, they should be holding the mental health team (or whatever your equivalent is) accountable.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

not playing your games.
    I'd put that down to a lack of reason on your part then. Why do people get sent to jail?

In some few cases it's a deterrent - Bernie Madoff is in jail for life after destroying $50 billion of investments while syphoning off the cream for his own use. Without that sort of threat far more investment consultants would steal client cash.

In some cases it's to protect the public from people who continue to pose a danger to life or property. That covers far less than half the jail population in the Western world.

It's also to put criminals in an environment where their behaviour can be modified by training so that they pose less risk of criminal activity in future. The extent of such training is sadly minimal.

What it's not for is to exact revenge which is all your posts in this thread have been demanding.

In the case the thread's focused on there's been no crime at all, nobody's been found guilty, nobody's offended against the law. The thread's discussing someone who was ill, who wasn't medically treated in a way which would have prevented the death and who's now being given the medical intervention he needs. Raging for his killing by the state, or by any "virtuous" passer-by, says a lot more about your own puerile ill-considered values than it does about either the law or the man being treated.

Why would you not jail everyone convicted of a crime? Why would you ever release them at all? Why would you not want to see the state kill everyone who gets a conviction?
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

is proud to be Canadian

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    05-22-2017
    Local Time
    08:16 PM
    Gifts Burger Car Balloons Balloons Beer Kitten Cocktail Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    Then shame on them for not doing anything sooner, as is evident the schizophrenic is responding well to the correct treatment at last.

His victims family, I feel for them for sure, it was a truly horrific way to lose a relative, they should be holding the mental health team (or whatever your equivalent is) accountable.
    a schizophrenic should have been treated, I agree!

someone has to be held accountable, as this crime was just to hideous to be left.....

as he is getting better so quickly.....he should be held responsible.
    Life is just to short for drama.

Peg
    Currently Offline
    Proud American
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    05-22-2017
    Local Time
    09:16 PM
    Gifts Car Gift Cocktail Cocktail Cocktail

I know of a guy who is schizophrenic. As long as he takes his medication, he is fine. Unfortunately, he doesn't always take it due to lack of money, screwed up priorities, etc. I can't understand why he would not take it seeing what he puts hisself through every time. So this guy is responding well to treatment? Once he is released into society, how long will they monitor him? How will they know he is taking his medication? Will he actually be monitored or will he fall through the cracks of the system? Was he diagnosed as schizophrenic before he murdered?

Cardi Goddess!!
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time

a schizophrenic should have been treated, I agree!

someone has to be held accountable, as this crime was just to hideous to be left.....

as he is getting better so quickly.....he should be held responsible.

No, he is not accountable, he was not aware of the crime he committed, he did not know right from wrong because he was insane.

The people to be held accountable are the doctors, mental health team etc.

is proud to be Canadian

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    05-22-2017
    Local Time
    08:16 PM
    Gifts Burger Car Balloons Balloons Beer Kitten Cocktail Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    No, he is not accountable, he was not aware of the crime he committed, he did not know right from wrong because he was insane.

The people to be held accountable are the doctors, mental health team etc.

it was his fault, he is accountable:

Li was admitted to a mental hospital in 2005, where he was diagnosed with schizophrenia, according to court testimony.

Doctors identified his auditory hallucinations and offered him medication, but he declined treatment at the time.
    Life is just to short for drama.

Cardi Goddess!!
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time

it was his fault, he is accountable:

Li was admitted to a mental hospital in 2005, where he was diagnosed with schizophrenia, according to court testimony.

Doctors identified his auditory hallucinations and offered him medication, but he declined treatment at the time.
    He is and was a schizophrenic then Odie, he cannot be held accountable as he is mentally insane.
    So.... the people that are accountable are the ones that deemed 'care in the community' to be the best case scenario for these patients as opposed to sectioning them. I would imagine that your mental health teams over there have their hands tied as far as involuntary hospitalization goes, they cannot hold someone and force medication until that person becomes a danger to themselves or others.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time

If anyone's still paying attention, Vince Li has now been released.
    Baker was initially kept in a secure wing of a psychiatric hospital but was given more freedom every year. He has been living on his own in a Winnipeg apartment since November, but was still subject to monitoring to ensure he took his medication.

Baker’s doctor, Jeffrey Waldman, told the board earlier this week that he is confident Baker will remain on his medication and will continue to work with his treatment team if released. Waldman testified Baker knows it is the medication that keeps his illness at bay.

In a written decision the review board said it “is of the opinion that the weight of evidence does not substantiate that Mr Baker poses a significant threat to the safety of the public”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ll-supervision

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Tired

Local Date
    05-22-2017
    Local Time
    07:16 PM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

So, if he decides to stop taking his meds, and then goes off again, can he then be held responsible for the consequences?
    "You don't need to know all the answers. Nobody is yet smart enough to even know all the questions."
    - Anonymous

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    So, if he decides to stop taking his meds, and then goes off again, can he then be held responsible for the consequences?
    I'm sure he can. He now has good reason to understand the potential consequence of making such a choice. I think they'd need to bring him back to sound mind and then charge him for his reckless endangerment of others, and I think they should do that regardless of whether or not he attacks anyone while psychotic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12