I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    10-17-2017
    Local Time
    10:30 PM
    Gifts Burger Car Balloons Balloons Beer Kitten Cocktail Heart

Canada's bus beheading man found not guilty

I am shocked and outraged with this decision, sick or not, he should have been found guilty.

How unjustified for his family!

Schizophrenic Canada bus beheading man found not guilty

8 hours ago

OTTAWA (AFP) — A Chinese immigrant who beheaded and hacked to pieces a Canadian bus passenger in front of horrified travelers was found not guilty of murder Thursday after being diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia.

Vince Weiguang Li, 40, had been charged with murdering 22-year-old Tim McLean on a Canadian Greyhound bus on July 30, 2008.

Li had repeatedly stabbed McLean, who had been asleep on the seat next to him, sawn off his head, removed his internal organs, pocketed his nose, tongue and an ear, and taunted police and bystanders with the severed head.

Police said in court documents Li "appeared to smell, and then eat parts of Tim McLean's flesh" and "lick blood from his hands" as they surrounded the bus on a desolate highway 90 kilometers (55 miles) west of Winnipeg, in western Canada, soon after the attack.

Authorities found body parts littered throughout the bus, some in white plastic bags. McLean's eyes and a third of his heart were also missing, and it is presumed Li ate them, said a pathologist in court files, though Li denies this.

The other 35 passengers and the driver were jolted by "blood-curdling screams" and fled, said witnesses, bracing the door after their escape to trap Li inside the bus. He was subdued by police after a three-hour standoff.

Justice John Scurfield of the Manitoba Court of Queen's Bench described the killing as "grotesque" and "appalling," but ruled Li was not criminally responsible for the murder because of his mental disorder.

During a three-day trial, psychiatrists testified Li suffers from schizophrenia and did not know what he was doing when he killed McLean.

The court heard Li had auditory hallucinations on the day of the attack, that he heard God's voice telling him to board the bus from Edmonton to Winnipeg, and kill McLean.

Li dismembered McLean's body, psychiatrists testified, because he feared McLean could otherwise resurrect from the dead and seek revenge.

His mental health is to be evaluated within 90 days, the judge ordered. Thereafter, he may be released or confined to a secure psychiatric hospital for treatment.

Outside the courtroom, McLean's mother Carol Dedelley expressed her disappointment at the verdict and her fears for public safety.

"This isn't the right result," Dedelley told reporters. "Knowing that that killer might get out sometime soon is very hard."

"A crime was still committed here, a murder still occurred, and (this) ruling seems to negate that fact."

"A major illness took my son's life, and he was never sick," she said.

"Mr. Li should be held accountable for it," she said. "Whether he was in his right frame of mind or not, he still did the act. There was nobody else on that bus holding a knife slicing up my child."

McLean, according to his family, was on his way home to Winnipeg from a job as a carnival worker in western Canada, when he was attacked.

He "struggled and tried to escape" his attacker, but "eventually either fell or was thrown to the floor of the bus," said court files.

Investigators said friends described the former computer programmer who had immigrated to Canada in 2001 as having had mental problems since 2004, but said they never knew him to be violent.

Li was admitted to a mental hospital in 2005, where he was diagnosed with schizophrenia, according to court testimony.

Doctors identified his auditory hallucinations and offered him medication, but he declined treatment at the time.

"Unfortunately, he appears to have left the treatment facility without permission," the judge said.

ALOHA..!!
    is From sunny San Diego..!!

I am:
    Cool

San Diego, California (Native born and raised)
    Local Date
    10-17-2017
    Local Time
    08:30 PM
    Gifts Balloons Car Cocktail Cocktail Cocktail Kitten Banana Cocktail

Angry Re: Canada's bus beheading man found not guitly.

Just wrong. SO he is out on the streets for 90 days then may be released if they don't confine him to a facility. YIKE..!! run for your lives he may do it again.

His mental health is to be evaluated within 90 days, the judge ordered. Thereafter, he may be released or confined to a secure psychiatric hospital for treatment.
    ALOHA!!
    MOTTO TO LIVE BY:
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.
    WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

is proud to be Canadian

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    10-17-2017
    Local Time

Re: Canada's bus beheading man found not guitly.

Quote Originally Posted by CARLA View Post
    Just wrong. SO he is out on the streets for 90 days then may be released if they don't confine him to a facility. YIKE..!! run for your lives he may do it again.
    isn't that sinful?

ALOHA..!!
    is From sunny San Diego..!!

I am:
    Cool

San Diego, California (Native born and raised)
    Local Date
    10-17-2017
    Local Time
    08:30 PM
    Gifts Balloons Car Cocktail Cocktail Cocktail Kitten Banana Cocktail

Angry Re: Canada's bus beheading man found not guitly.

Just crazy the man should be put out of his misery. What a brutal senseless death and to not be charged with the murder I don't understand how that can be.
    ALOHA!!
    MOTTO TO LIVE BY:
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.
    WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

is proud to be Canadian

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    10-17-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by CARLA View Post
    Just crazy the man should be put out of his misery. What a brutal senseless death and to not be charged with the murder I don't understand how that can be.
    did I mention I hate our Canadian laws?

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-17-2017
    Local Time

wow...i remember hearing about this when I was in Korea and I saw the story on CNN...not that that really matters...I thought for sure that guy would fry...

Not guilty? um...there really is nothing to say about this...I'm shocked....saddened. what a crock of shi...um....poopoo

is proud to be Canadian

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    10-17-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Hamster's Knight View Post
    wow...i remember hearing about this when I was in Korea and I saw the story on CNN...not that that really matters...I thought for sure that guy would fry...

Not guilty? um...there really is nothing to say about this...I'm shocked....saddened. what a crock of shi...um....poopoo
    it is a croc.......but it seems now a days if someone is mentally ill, they get a free lifetime pass to do as they choose.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-18-2017
    Local Time
    04:30 AM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Re: Canada's bus beheading man found not guilty

The advantage the jury had over the posters in this thread is they'd had the law described to them.

If someone owns a car and has it taken in regularly for maintenance and once day a steering link shatters while he's driving and a passing pedestrian is killed in the ensuing crash, do people here think the driver should be convicted of murder? Or convicted of anything at all? Because that's exactly what happened in this case. There was absolutely no intention to harm anyone, there was simply a broken part. Maybe it's mendable, maybe it isn't, but to call this murder is to abuse the language.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-18-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Spot is right (though I'm not sure about his analogy...?)

During a three-day trial, psychiatrists testified Li suffers from schizophrenia and did not know what he was doing when he killed McLean.

The court heard Li had auditory hallucinations on the day of the attack, that he heard God's voice telling him to board the bus from Edmonton to Winnipeg, and kill McLean.
    The points that stand out:

1) He did not know what he was doing. Paranoid schizophrenics are tormented in ways you and I cannot imagine, in this case by voices going on at him. One thing that is often wrong with schizophrenics is that they cannot tell if a voice they hear is inside or outside their head, and as confusion and fear set in (some of the things that bubble up from the subconscious are pretty scary), the things the voices inside his head are saying get more and more frightening (the "paranoid" bit)

2) If you were used to "God" telling you to do things, would you do as you thought he wanted you to?

3) I see only victims here. I don't see how killing another one helps.

4) I assume he was undiagnosed before this, if so, no-one, including himself, knew that there as anything wrong with him. He probably rationalised his experiences by thinking God had chosen him for something special...
    Last edited by Clodhopper; 03-06-2009 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Posted by accident half way through writing

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-18-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    I love Canada, but they are way to politically correct and lenient on stuff like this, that demented fecker should be put down like a rabid dog.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast