Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 94 of 98 FirstFirst ... 44 84 92 93 94 95 96 ... LastLast

Thread: Will President Trump run for a second term?

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time
    02:18 PM
    Gifts Beer Beer

Re: Will President Trump run for a second term?

Regarding computer games I think they have certainly helped remove inhibitions. People have rehearsed a lot of situations they might not in real life. In some circumstances it's called "training".

So yeah, I would say computer games play a part in the current US problems. But we have the same games here without the same issues so I'd still say it's the easy availability of guns, big f***in guns, that is the main cause of the mass killings.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

is just trying to keep her head

I am:
    Shy

Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time
    09:18 AM
    Gifts Kitten Kitten Kitten Cake Gift Balloons Gift Car

Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    So yeah, I would say computer games play a part in the current US problems. But we have the same games here without the same issues so I'd still say it's the easy availability of guns, big f***in guns, that is the main cause of the mass killings.
    You are absolutely right.

Premium Member
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time
    08:18 AM
    Gifts Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    You are absolutely right.
    So the easy availability of alcohol is the main CAUSE of drunk driving which results in much more carnage than all the " big f***in guns," in America.

My point being it is not the inanimate product which causes the pain, suffering, and grief, but the nut gripping the bottle/trigger.
    What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? - W. C. Fields

A woman drove me to drink and I didn’t even have the decency to thank her. - W. C. Fields

I am:
    Shy

Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    So the easy availability of alcohol is the main CAUSE of drunk driving which results in much more carnage than all the " big f***in guns," in America.

My point being it is not the inanimate product which causes the pain, suffering, and grief, but the nut gripping the bottle/trigger.
    1. Alcohol is the only cause of drunk driving, and no, I am not saying bring back Prohibition, just stating the obvious.

2. Assault rifles are unnecessary. Most nuts can probably pass a background check, and yes I am saying bring back the ban on assault rifles. To put a stop to the killing of masses of people at once I am stating the obvious, as Clodhopper did. Can't tell who is likely to go nuts next; can't tell if the nut bought his own or borrowed, or stole, or inherited. Tired & sick & sick & tired of these mass abominations. The product is not manufactured for the purpose of remaining inanimate, the product is made to be used.

Premium Member
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

1. Alcohol is the only cause of drunk driving, and no, I am not saying bring back Prohibition, just stating the obvious.

2. Assault rifles are unnecessary. Most nuts can probably pass a background check, and yes I am saying bring back the ban on assault rifles. To put a stop to the killing of masses of people at once I am stating the obvious, as Clodhopper did. Can't tell who is likely to go nuts next; can't tell if the nut bought his own or borrowed, or stole, or inherited. Tired & sick & sick & tired of these mass abominations.
    Alcohol does not cause drunk driving any more than cell phones cause distracted driving which results in auto accidents.

Food does not cause obesity.

The product is not manufactured for the purpose of remaining inanimate, the product is made to be used.
    Not unlike alcohol, cell phones or food. All can be abused.

A woman drove me to drink and I didn’t even have the decency to thank her. - W. C. Fields

I am:
    Shy

Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time

False equivalencies. Inconsistent logic. Apples and oranges.

is just wandrin

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time
    06:18 AM
    Gifts Balloons Cake Gift

I think video games and many movies give/reinforce the idea that violence is a natural response to frustrations and problems. Very few, if any, promote any other thought process or solution to the problems presented. As such, I think they help build the mindset that can lead to violence in real life. The aggrieved victim picks up a weapon to find "justice" for the wrongs he/she has endured.

In the games and movies, guns of some sort are the "solution". They produce casualties from a distance, if only a few feet, as opposed to something like a knife. When guns are easier to get than a driver's license, we have a problem.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

There are 4 things I have found Trumps supporters to have in common, and the chances are that those who fall in any of the categories are likely to be Trump supporters. A=B & B=A.

1. Religious Zealots. These are the people who are gullible by nature & who actually believe that he has led by some sort of Religious Crusade - totally ignoring, of course, his many anti-Christian acts.

2. Racists. Needless to say his "Building A Wall", banning all Muslims & referring to "****hole Countries" would obviously appeal this this type.

3. Gun Nuts. It is no surprise that he has the support of the NRA, as he tries to blame anything & everything on the increasingly commonplace school massacres on anything but guns. If you see a child hitting another child with a stick do you give the other child a bigger stick so that he can fight back - or do you take away the stick?

4. The Sickeningly Wealthy. Why would they want to actually pay their fair share of taxes? Least of all so that they would be less of a burden on the rest of the population.

Premium Member
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    There are 4 things I have found Trumps supporters to have in common, and the chances are that those who fall in any of the categories are likely to be Trump supporters. A=B & B=A.
    Is that algebra?

1. Religious Zealots. These are the people who are gullible by nature & who actually believe that he has led by some sort of Religious Crusade - totally ignoring, of course, his many anti-Christian acts.
    Exactly who are you talking about?

2. Racists. Needless to say his "Building A Wall", banning all Muslims & referring to "****hole Countries" would obviously appeal this this type.
    Border control is not racist.

3. Gun Nuts. It is no surprise that he has the support of the NRA, as he tries to blame anything & everything on the increasingly commonplace school massacres on anything but guns. If you see a child hitting another child with a stick do you give the other child a bigger stick so that he can fight back - or do you take away the stick?
    I was shocked when first the NRA endorsed the Trumpet. No surprise to hear him turn his back on the organization which gave him 30 million dollars.

4. The Sickeningly Wealthy. Why would they want to actually pay their fair share of taxes? Least of all so that they would be less of a burden on the rest of the population.
    What is a fair share?

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    I regard brexiters and Trumpists as fundamentally the same people. Both were supported by the:

1) Racists: Both are about blaming immigrants and getting rid of them. Racists are not going to support the multiracial, multicultural EU by definition and we know the KKK support Trump

2) Extreme far right: Often they are racists but in addition they want to reduce both countries to low tax low service states. They are not necessarily uniformed thugs, they occupy boardrooms as a rule, but the thugs are among them. Members of this forum might recall one ex member who told us how the old British National Party were moving into UKIP

Both the above groups have shown they are in contact across the Atlantic. Trump retweets British fascists and going the other way US charities like Cambridge Analytics, set up to help far right US candidates, also helped the brexit campaign.

3) The ultra wealthy. People like Murdoch, Banks, the Barclay brothers, my own MP Zac Goldsmith - all see opportunity in brexit and in Trump. Trump's tax cut for billionaires shows why.

4) Putin backs Trump and brexit. The extent of his involvement is undoubtedly greater than it should be and he may have materially affected both results, perhaps decisively.

5) The bulk of the followers who have been duped into believing that Trump and brexit will solve their problems and that it will be easy. As easy as building a wall or leaving a golf club. And that somehow doing these things will make everything better - their leaders said so. None of these people were in any way at all affected by any of the previously mentioned groups or anything their leaders said, and they acted from the purest of patriotic motives. In their opinion. But the US ones believe that Trump and the UK ones believe that brexit will make things generally better in their countries. Everyone is going to be richer and freer as a result of Trump and brexit. In their opinion.

I'd add that we have a few examples from the past of the rise of extremist movements in Europe - and for that matter the US - and there are parallels with the present. We have leaders and movements offering hugely oversimplified or plain wrong solutions to real problems. The political landscape is polarising and people are moving away from the centre ground. It feels a lot like the 1920s to me. I've quoted it before but it bears repetition because it is so relevant now.

William Butler Yeats (1865-1939)

THE SECOND COMING (1919)

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
    Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
    The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
    When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
    Troubles my sight: a waste of desert sand;
    A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
    A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
    Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
    Wind shadows of the indignant desert birds.

The darkness drops again but now I know
    That twenty centuries of stony sleep
    Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
    And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
    Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

You don't have to "understand" it much to get the feel of it, and it's the feel that is important
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 94 of 98 FirstFirst ... 44 84 92 93 94 95 96 ... LastLast