I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    05-22-2017
    Local Time
    09:16 PM
    Gifts Kitten

Re: President Trump's executive orders discussion thread

I think the resistance to the people from these other countries is due to wanting to avoid the competition that another major religion poses by any means legally possible. Trump and company are pushing the boundaries of the legal language to find out how far it can be stretched. This is something that lawyers do. Unfortunately, it's an expensive exercise that is paid out of our taxes. I wouldn't mind as much as I do if lawyers didn't charge so damn much.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time
    02:16 AM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

This is worth reeding, I'm glad someone's making these points too.
    The crowds of demonstrators share something in common with our political and media elites: they still don’t understand how Trump got elected, or why millions of Americans continue to support him. Even now, recent polls show that more Americans support Trump’s executive order on immigration than oppose it, but you wouldn’t know it based on the media coverage.

Support for Trump’s travel ban, indeed his entire agenda for immigration reform, is precisely the sort of thing mainstream media, concentrated in urban enclaves along our coasts, has trouble comprehending. The fact is, many Americans who voted for Trump, especially those in suburban and rural areas across the heartland and the south, have long felt disconnected from the institutions that govern them. On immigration and trade, the issues that propelled Trump to the White House, they want the status quo to change.

During his first two weeks in office, whenever Trump has done something that leaves political and media elites aghast, his supporters cheer. They like that he told Mexican president Enrique Peña Nieto he might have to send troops across the border to stop “bad hombres down there”. They like that he threatened to pull out of an Obama-era deal to accept thousands of refugees Australia refuses to admit. They want him to dismantle Dodd-Frank financial regulations for Wall Street and rethink US trade deals. This is why they voted for him.

The failure to understand why these measures are popular with millions of Americans stems from a deep sense of disconnection in American society that didn’t begin with Trump or the 2016 election. For years, millions of voters have felt left behind by an economic recovery that largely excluded them, a culture that scoffed at their beliefs and a government that promised change but failed to deliver.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...otten-millions
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I don't think I'm missing the point at all.

Sufficient German and Rwandan citizens who were not Jews or Tutsi were persuaded by governmental propaganda to believe that Jews and Tutsi were a threat to their existence, civilization, way of life, ethnic purity or independence. There could have been no genocide without that mass belief.

Constantly pointing out and correcting the lies and propaganda might make the number of believers insufficient for the current destabilizing to continue. The number of believers in America was sufficient to elect this buffoon, so the number obviously needs to be reduced. That Cato Institute summary is truthful and checkable, it is not an alternative fact, it is factual.
    The point being FACTS didn't protect either the Jews or Tutsi.

And today the TRUTH will not protect those under attack from the perception they are to blame for all that ails the voters.
    It would seem the American electorate are no more sophisticated than the Tutsi or those Germans way back then.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

is just trying to keep her head

I am:
    Shy

Local Date
    05-22-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Kitten Kitten Kitten Cake Gift Balloons Gift Car

"It would seem the American electorate are no more sophisticated than the Tutsi or those Germans way back then."

You're damn right! And damn proud of it too!! ;-)

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    05-22-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Kitten

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    The point being FACTS didn't protect either the Jews or Tutsi.

And today the TRUTH will not protect those under attack from the perception they are to blame for all that ails the voters.
    It would seem the American electorate are no more sophisticated than the Tutsi or those Germans way back then.
    I agree! No matter how hard we try, we're always subject to our nature. Sophistication is a concept, not nature. We'd like to believe it's exclusively a part of our human nature, but that's just another myth.

is just trying to keep her head

I am:
    Shy

Local Date
    05-22-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Kitten Kitten Kitten Cake Gift Balloons Gift Car

"I agree! No matter how hard we try, we're always subject to our nature. Sophistication is a concept, not nature. We'd like to believe it's exclusively a part of our human nature, but that's just another myth."

Profound, imo.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Sophistication and civilisation is a very thin veneer indeed. All you have to do to remove it is get people hungry.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

I've been hungry while remaining sophisticated and civilized.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I've been hungry while remaining sophisticated and civilized.
    I don't mean peckish, I mean hungry. Days without any food hungry. Civilisation and sophistication would vanish within a month I think. When families can't feed their kids it would be the rule of the jungle.

Something like this topic came up with friends recently - I asked the 2 Mums there if they would be prepared to feed their kids human meat if it was that or they starved to death. Their reply was an unhesitating yes, though they would lie about what it was.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    05-22-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Kitten

Register to remove this ad.
    I think I might come to the conclusion to end it all for the family as well as myself. Life is torturous anyway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9