07:23 AM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

President Trump's executive orders discussion thread

We have the text of the first.
    THE WHITE HOUSE
    Office of the Press Secretary
    For Immediate Release January 20, 2017
    EXECUTIVE ORDER

MINIMIZING THE ECONOMIC BURDEN OF THE PATIENT PROTECTION AND AFFORDABLE CARE ACT PENDING REPEAL

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, it is hereby ordered as follows:

Section 1. It is the policy of my Administration to seek the prompt repeal of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Public Law 111-148), as amended (the "Act"). In the meantime, pending such repeal, it is imperative for the executive branch to ensure that the law is being efficiently implemented, take all actions consistent with law to minimize the unwarranted economic and regulatory burdens of the Act, and prepare to afford the States more flexibility and control to create a more free and open healthcare market.

Sec. 2. To the maximum extent permitted by law, the Secretary of Health and Human Services (Secretary) and the heads of all other executive departments and agencies (agencies) with authorities and responsibilities under the Act shall exercise all authority and discretion available to them to waive, defer, grant exemptions from, or delay the implementation of any provision or requirement of the Act that would impose a fiscal burden on any State or a cost, fee, tax, penalty, or regulatory burden on individuals, families, healthcare providers, health insurers, patients, recipients of healthcare services, purchasers of health insurance, or makers of medical devices, products, or medications.

Sec. 3. To the maximum extent permitted by law, the Secretary and the heads of all other executive departments and agencies with authorities and responsibilities under the Act, shall exercise all authority and discretion available to them to provide greater flexibility to States and cooperate with them in implementing healthcare programs.

Sec. 4. To the maximum extent permitted by law, the head of each department or agency with responsibilities relating to healthcare or health insurance shall encourage the development of a free and open market in interstate commerce for the offering of healthcare services and health insurance, with the goal of achieving and preserving maximum options for patients and consumers.

Sec. 5. To the extent that carrying out the directives in this order would require revision of regulations issued through notice-and-comment rulemaking, the heads of agencies shall comply with the Administrative Procedure Act and other applicable statutes in considering or promulgating such regulatory revisions.

Sec. 6. (a) Nothing in this order shall be construed to impair or otherwise affect:

(i) the authority granted by law to an executive department or agency, or the head thereof; or

(ii) the functions of the Director of the Office of Management and Budget relating to budgetary, administrative, or legislative proposals.

(b) This order shall be implemented consistent with applicable law and subject to the availability of appropriations.

(c) This order is not intended to, and does not, create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity by any party against the United States, its departments, agencies, or entities, its officers, employees, or agents, or any other person.

DONALD J. TRUMP
    THE WHITE HOUSE,
    January 20, 2017.

Full text: Trump's executive order on Obamacare - CNNPolitics.com
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    12-13-2017
    Local Time
    08:23 AM
    Gifts Beer Beer

Re: President Trump's executive orders discussion thread

So except in the unlikely event that all parts of the machine collude to keep it going the ACA is dead?
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-13-2017
    Local Time

I rather liked Senator Franken's speech on the subject on January 10th.
    President-elect Trump clearly has a plan. He laid it all out during his campaign. His plan was, he said to, quote: "Repeal Obamacare and replace it with something terrific." That's what he said.

And then he went into a little bit more detail, and explained that the "something terrific" would be, quote, "so much better, so much better, so much better."

Terrific! So much better. That sounds great. Let's see it.

One of Trump's top advisers said on MSNBC "We don't want anyone who currently has insurance to not have insurance." Great! Neither do we.

Speaker Ryan said that there will, quote, "be a bridge so that no one is left out in the cold, so that no one is worse off." That is wonderful! No one being worse off is exactly what we want to see.

I'm sure Speaker Ryan's staff was mistaken when they later told a reporter that the "no one worse off" only applied to the transition period, not to the replacement plan.

Show me the plan that keeps coverage for the 20 million people who've gained coverage, that would bend the cost curve so that the costs of the entire health care system grow less quickly as they have, and that would ensure that nobody gets denied coverage when they need it or has to unfairly pay more than someone else because of their gender or a pre-existing condition. Show me that plan.

https://www.franken.senate.gov/?p=news&id=3600
    That is an honest, well-intentioned, intelligent Senator working on behalf of the people he serves, he's an asset to the country.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-13-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    So except in the unlikely event that all parts of the machine collude to keep it going the ACA is dead?
    The nail in its coffin will be legislative. The intention of the executive order is to hobble ACA immediately, since it can't actually be shot until a replacement is enacted.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    12-13-2017
    Local Time
    08:23 AM
    Gifts Beer Beer

So no new cases will be accepted as soon as the word goes down in the next week, then support gets removed legislatively to be replaced by the "so much better"? I note that precisely who it is better for is left vague.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-13-2017
    Local Time

"so that no one is left out in the cold, so that no one is worse off" according to Speaker Ryan's pre-election promise.

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    12-13-2017
    Local Time
    06:23 PM

So in essence for the average person........ if you were waiting for surgery or a wheelchair or prosthesis or chronic ear throat nose ( tonsils, grommets etc) then you have no hope? Ambulance? Emergency care? It will be all up to the states? Nothing from the federal government?

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-13-2017
    Local Time

No, the average person has medical insurance and would be admitted for surgery. They might thereafter have to pay some start-up or excess to the insurer.

For those without insurance or cash there are, if I understand correctly, free hospitals where you might or might not be treated depending on workload.

Bear in mind that the proportion of GDP spent on medical care in America is startlingly higher than in the rest of the developed world. It's just that the number of people living in America with no access to treatment is about to get a lot bigger. That number should, in a just society, be zero.

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    12-13-2017
    Local Time
    06:23 PM

Yes I was only referring to the latter. To this day I still don't understand that state of affairs.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    12-13-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    For those without insurance or cash there are, if I understand correctly, free hospitals where you might or might not be treated depending on workload.
    Sounds like the NHS at the moment under a similar regime.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast