----

Local Date
    08-17-2017
    Local Time
    12:42 PM
    Gifts Beer Cake

Re: Minister for defence procurement Harriett Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    More Georgias and Ukraines, is the first thing that springs to mind. The Baltic States are petrified of him, heck, the whole of E.Europe is petrified of him, and having seen a documentary that popped in to visit the KGB cellars in one of them, I think it was Estonia, I'm not surprised and it doesn't comfort me that protecting his ethnic compatriots is the excuse for invasion - it was Hitler's excuse too.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely and he's had absolute power for a looooong time now.
    And just what did anyone do to protect Georgia, Crimea & Ukraine from being annexed? Absolutely nothing. The world just let Russia move in with no more resistance other than a bit of shouting to say "That's not nice". Just what point is a strong military if it's not going to be used anyway? What is ridiculous is scrapping the air resources but investing in shipping, so that we end up up with situation that we actually have of having an aircraft carrier, with no aircraft to put on it.

Having a horrendous budget for the White Elephant that is Trident is also ridiculous. The claim that it has been an effective deterrent is a joke. Just what sort of deterrent has it been. When has there been a time when we have not been involved in one war or another? Did it act as a deterrent then? Claiming it is a deterrent is no more valid that someone with a tin foil hat claiming the tin foil hat has kept him safe from aliens taking over his mind. While it is true that no aliens have taken over his mind (questionable), there is no evidence to demonstrate that the tin foil hat has anything to do with this.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    08-17-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

I don't see the nuclear deterrent as a means of deterring a foreign government from invading or destroying this country's strategic interests, I don't think we face that possibility. I think it provides sufficient reassurance to the population that we can safely dismantle a wartime-strength military to a small enough body capable of defence against civil agitation and criminal activity. In achieving that it's very cost-effective.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    08-17-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

And just what did anyone do to protect Georgia, Crimea & Ukraine from being annexed? Absolutely nothing.
    Sanctions, which really are hurting the Russian economy especially combined with a low oil price. European attitudes hardened a lot with the downing of the KLM flight. Apart from anything else it pretty comprehensively refuted the claim (used in all the cases you mention) that the Russians were just protecting their people when they sent forces in (usually while denying they were sending forces in). However, it's taken time for the pattern to be discerned and we had no treaty obligations to Georgia iirc. We DO have commitments to NATO allies.

The planes have been arriving and the crews have been working up skills in the US, I believe. But agree that it being out of sync with the ship seems unhelpful.

While I agree that we could retreat under a nuclear umbrella in the way spot suggests, I don't think it would be in our strategic best interests. It is however a much more realistic prospect if brexit impoverishes the country and we need the money more elsewhere. Pretty much everything now depends on brexit. If it goes badly all bets are off everywhere about everything. If it goes well we find out what living in a far right fantasy land is like.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    08-17-2017
    Local Time

Have the sea trials started yet?

(The answer is No, if anyone wondered).

The last day of Spring, as the UK's Metrological Office measures these things, is May 31st.

Presumably Harriett Baldwin will just say it's no longer her Department.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    08-17-2017
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Bloody Harriett Bloody Baldwin's sneer-sneer aren't-I-clever remark, “What I can’t give the committee is the specific days of the week because no-one knows exactly what day of the week she will move from where she is currently into her sea trial process and then sail down to Portsmouth”, came to pass today. Well after mid-summer, after the shortest day, not in the Spring at all. HMS Queen Elizabeth, if it did move, moved today. Sea Trials will now commence. The world would be a better place if it were scrapped instead, by which I do not mean sold to a foreign government.

Sarcastic refusal to answer a simple question, that's what I called it.

No, Harriett, it wasn't clever. It wasn't funny. It was a lie, and damn your miserable ministerial hide for thinking you can laugh it off. You're paid to be honest, helpful and efficient.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3