Happy

Local Date
    03-28-2017
    Local Time
    05:18 AM
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

Re: We are four nations, but at heart one people

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    My browser always underlines all typed non-dictionary words in red, and a right click on each offers conventional alternatives. Without that assistance my posts would not be a model of clarity.
    And you still insist on using reed red out of context ?

I wouldn't bother right clicking mate.................let it all hang out.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

is dangerously overeducated.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    03-27-2017
    Local Time
    10:18 PM
    Gifts Beer Burger Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    The system is broken big time and not just in the UK.
    Amen to that. Trump announced his budget yesterday. The upshot is that he's increasing military spending by a lot and slashing everything that helps people or their environment.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    03-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

If by "weal" you mean (from the OED) "The welfare of a country or community; the general good. Often with defining word, as common, general, public" then, for the parliamentary system, yes sort of. The powerful to be checked was invariably the royal court, the parliamentarians were invariably there to represent the wealthy beyond the court in the City or in the shires. But the people who actually generated the common wealth of the community - the peasants working the land on behalf of the feudal overlord - had no place at all in any of that, though they bore the brunt of the depredations you mention.

The legal system, on the other hand, arose out of the wealthy's desire to control the masses and had nothing to do with the common good, it arose completely the other way about and a lot lot earlier. No poor man ever created or imposed a law. No officer of the law ever accounted to the powerless.
    I meant to type weak not weal.

posted by bruv
    Oh for Pete's sake gmc........proof read before hitting the post button.....that was painful.
    You do kmow the K and L are side by side don't you? I do proof read I just don't notice that's why my career as a proof reader never took off.

The legal system, on the other hand, arose out of the wealthy's desire to control the masses and had nothing to do with the common good, it arose completely the other way about and a lot lot earlier. No poor man ever created or imposed a law. No officer of the law ever accounted to the powerless.
    True to some extent but the legal system was shaped by people standing up for themselves to defend themselves from the aristocracy that newer groups with neconomic power go on to abuse the sytem for their own benefit - it seems to be human nature. I always think the english civil war is a great example of what happens when you have an angry population that put the powerful on the back foot then invariably the prospects for an equitable society get trampled into the dirt. The putney debates make fascinating reading about what could have been and the same arguments come up time and time again.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    03-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

You describe the state of some of the laws after the civil war, but "the legal system" is a great deal more ancient.

The first codified system of English law was written by Alfred the Great around 890. "In his introduction, Alfred explains that he gathered together the laws he found in many "synod-books" and "ordered to be written many of the ones that our forefathers observed—those that pleased me; and many of the ones that did not please me, I rejected with the advice of my councillors, and commanded them to be observed in a different way"."

It would be hard to describe those laws as protection for the common people much less for slaves. If you were wealthy you could, for instance, deliberately kill either category with impunity and then just pay the specified level of blood-money. I expect Scottish law of the same period is comparable, if anyone managed to write it down.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    03-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

You do kmow the K and L are side by side don't you?
    OK How do you explain ?

I onl;t like ukip
    That's gotta be "I don't like UKIP"........hasn't it ?
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    03-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    You describe the state of some of the laws after the civil war, but "the legal system" is a great deal more ancient.

The first codified system of English law was written by Alfred the Great around 890. "In his introduction, Alfred explains that he gathered together the laws he found in many "synod-books" and "ordered to be written many of the ones that our forefathers observed—those that pleased me; and many of the ones that did not please me, I rejected with the advice of my councillors, and commanded them to be observed in a different way"."

It would be hard to describe those laws as protection for the common people much less for slaves. If you were wealthy you could, for instance, deliberately kill either category with impunity and then just pay the specified level of blood-money. I expect Scottish law of the same period is comparable, if anyone managed to write it down.
    That's why I said it was "shaped" by people I made no reference to time scale. Laws are in simplistic terms agreements as to how people should behave towards each other stone age man probably sat down and made agreements with each other as an alternative to warfare.

Speaking of which I see thera May is still not taking the hint.

Theresa May blocks second Scottish independence referendum | The Independent

"
    It would be unfair to the people of Scotland at the moment that they would be being asked to make a crucial decision without the information they need to make that decision."
    She could do with listening to what nicola sturgeon actually said.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5