Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46

Thread: We are four nations, but at heart one people

  1. #1
    Supporting Member
    is risen
     
    I am:
    Happy
     
    spot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brigstow
    Posts
    33,584
    Local Date
    06-29-2017
    Local Time
    05:01 PM
    Points
    50,425
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

    We are four nations, but at heart one people

    That's what Theresa May says, anyway.

    PM Theresa May makes case for 'our precious Union' - BBC News

    Ms May is misinformed.

    What we are, Ms May, is two nations plus a principality and a province. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

    We are also three peoples. We are the English, the Scots and the Welsh. The proddy Ulstermen are belligerent rogues left over from Cromwell's genocidal plantation policy and the long-suffering papists are Irish, neither category being a British People.

    The sooner the British Isles become three independent sovereign nations the better, unless anyone thinks Welsh independence would be a good move too.

    I note in passing that, for the first time in my life, I do not know the marital status of the Prime Minister.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

    The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

  2. #2
    gmc
    Currently Offline
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    I am:
    ----
     

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    12,857
    Local Date
    06-29-2017
    Local Time
    05:01 PM
    Points
    25,952
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

    Re: We are four nations, but at heart one people

    We've had the spectracle of the one tory MP whop happens to be the minister for sxcotkand promising more poweres for holyrood after brexit alongside that og theresa My refusioning to conform that already devolved powers (fishing and agriculture) won't be taken away. Ruth davis=[dsin telling the kirthern irish that a hard border between niorth and south won;r be necessary and then coming back to scotland to tell us that independence means passport controls at gretna green.

    May uses opening speech at Scottish Tory Party conference to attack independence (From The National)

    May said she wanted to “build a new ‘collective responsibility’ across the United Kingdom, which unites all layers of government, to work positively together to improve the lives of everyone in our country”.

    The UK government had a fundamental responsibility to the whole of the country, and that could not be undermined by a devolved administration, she added.

    She continued: “In those areas where the UK Government holds the policy levers, we will use them wisely to the benefit of Scottish firms and workers.

    “Where the Scottish Government hold the levers, in areas like skills and infrastructure, we will seek to work with them to ensure the best outcomes for Scotland.”


    If you just read the mainstream media you would think the SNP never made any comments or discussed anythingh except another referendum.It was in the SNPO manifesto that they n-might hold another referendum if there was a material change - like brexit. You wouldn't think it from the daily mail but labour and the tories have only one westminster MP each. Please Mrs May tell us we can't have anoher referendum.

    I feel for the welsh always an afterthought and they have neil hamilton

    Nigel Farage deserves to be made a duke, says Neil Hamilton | The Independent



    What about this farce

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-39042666

    It's as if they don't think we can do this kind of thing, your starter for ten what nationality was the first director general of the bbc? The one that gave it it's ethos of publiv service broadcasting and impartiality in reporting the news. Poor man will be birling in his grave if he saw the bbc as it is now terified of uopsetting the politiciuand.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    I am:
    Happy
     
    Bruv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Kent..... South East England
    Posts
    11,580
    Local Date
    06-29-2017
    Local Time
    05:01 PM
    Points
    59,902
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

    Re: We are four nations, but at heart one people

    How long has there been a union ? I am no historian so it is a genuine question.

    I think the only thing that divides the United Kingdom are superficial differences, mainly, accents local customs and practices and the perception the further away from London you live the less the powers that be care........same as any country.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

  4. #4
    Supporting Member
    is risen
     
    I am:
    Happy
     
    spot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brigstow
    Posts
    33,584
    Local Date
    06-29-2017
    Local Time
    05:01 PM
    Points
    50,425
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

    Re: We are four nations, but at heart one people

    1707 was the union of Scotland with England and Wales, before then they were two countries with the same monarch. 1800 or so we swallowed the island of Ireland into the union, 1923 we released the south of the island of Ireland to be an independent country within the commonwealth, and changed the name of this country to the United Kingdom of Great Britain [the bigger of the islands] and Northern Ireland, which is currently the name of the country we live in according to the cover of my passport.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

    The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    is .
     
    I am:
    Happy
     
    Bryn Mawr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,078
    Local Date
    06-29-2017
    Local Time
    05:01 PM
    Points
    22,170
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

    Re: We are four nations, but at heart one people

    Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    1707 was the union of Scotland with England and Wales, before then they were two countries with the same monarch. 1800 or so we swallowed the island of Ireland into the union, 1923 we released the south of the island of Ireland to be an independent country within the commonwealth, and changed the name of this country to the United Kingdom of Great Britain [the bigger of the islands] and Northern Ireland, which is currently the name of the country we live in according to the cover of my passport.
    And, according to MasterCard, Guernsey, Jersey and the Isle of Man are separate countries, not part of the UK :-)

  6. #6
    gmc
    Currently Offline
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    I am:
    ----
     

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    12,857
    Local Date
    06-29-2017
    Local Time
    05:01 PM
    Points
    25,952
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

    Re: We are four nations, but at heart one people

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    How long has there been a union ? I am no historian so it is a genuine question.

    I think the only thing that divides the United Kingdom are superficial differences, mainly, accents local customs and practices and the perception the further away from London you live the less the powers that be care........same as any country.
    Not so, in 1707 there very much was a different language although time has done away with the differences, lowland scots are very different from the highlands and lowlanders hated the highlanders (the 1745 was not simply england against scotland)
    not least because of the religious differences. We also had and still do have a diffferent religion, (church of scotland church of england are not just geographical indicators) our education system is different as is our legal sytem and culture.

    You basically highlight the biggest problem westminster and it sems many emnglish people have in understanding scottyish nationalism they think scotland is just a region of england, it's not.

  7. #7
    Supporting Member
    is risen
     
    I am:
    Happy
     
    spot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brigstow
    Posts
    33,584
    Local Date
    06-29-2017
    Local Time
    05:01 PM
    Points
    50,425
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

    Re: We are four nations, but at heart one people

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    And, according to MasterCard, Guernsey, Jersey and the Isle of Man are separate countries, not part of the UK :-)
    Perhaps the focus there is on separate tax jurisdictions?
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

    The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    is .
     
    I am:
    Happy
     
    Bryn Mawr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,078
    Local Date
    06-29-2017
    Local Time
    05:01 PM
    Points
    22,170
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

    Re: We are four nations, but at heart one people

    Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Perhaps the focus there is on separate tax jurisdictions?
    Makes it a pain trying to define "domestic" transactions.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    I am:
    Happy
     
    Bruv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Kent..... South East England
    Posts
    11,580
    Local Date
    06-29-2017
    Local Time
    05:01 PM
    Points
    59,902
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

    Re: We are four nations, but at heart one people

    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    Not so, in 1707 there very much was a different language although time has done away with the differences, lowland scots are very different from the highlands and lowlanders hated the highlanders (the 1745 was not simply england against scotland)
    not least because of the religious differences. We also had and still do have a diffferent religion, (church of scotland church of england are not just geographical indicators) our education system is different as is our legal sytem and culture.

    You basically highlight the biggest problem westminster and it sems many emnglish people have in understanding scottyish nationalism they think scotland is just a region of england, it's not.
    You talk of over 250 years ago as if it matters more than the recently bodged together European Common Market that you rate higher than the links between the UK countries ?......sort yourself out man.
    There are local cultural differences throughout England, the differences cross border are less on this island than across Europe.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    I am:
    ----
     

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kingston-upon-Thames
    Posts
    4,409
    Local Date
    06-29-2017
    Local Time
    05:01 PM
    Points
    5,716
    Gifts Beer Beer

    Re: We are four nations, but at heart one people

    Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    You talk of over 250 years ago as if it matters more than the recently bodged together European Common Market that you rate higher than the links between the UK countries ?......sort yourself out man.
    There are local cultural differences throughout England, the differences cross border are less on this island than across Europe.
    The elephant in the room I can't ignore when this matter comes up is the genuine, purely racist and deeply felt hatred of a sizeable minority of Scots for the English. All of us. It's different from gmc enjoying taking the mickey, it's visceral.

    If I thought dissolution of the Union would lead to an era of peace and harmony unprecedented in our mutual history I'd be all for it. At present I do not feel that would be the case. Both Scotland and the minor union of England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the etceteras would I believe be having economic problems on a large scale and while rUK was blaming the EU, Scotland would be blaming England and the hatred would be freshly fertilised.

    On the other hand, my main argument for Scotland staying in the Union pre-Brexit vote was access to the EU. That has gone and if I were Scots and had voted union, I'd be seriously considering changing my vote especially since the EU might let Scotland stay in in as a slap to rUK. Depends on the negotiations...
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.5.2