I am:
    ----

Local Date
    08-21-2018
    Local Time
    02:25 PM
    Gifts Beer Beer

Re: What is Brexit going to mean?

The release of the brexit papers detailing the expected effects of brexit has now been dropped back three weeks. The first deadline was Friday last, the next was the start of this week.

The country is steadily turning into a brexit dictatorship. Ministers have near total power and are obstructing the expressed and legal will of Parliament for the release of those papers.

You can bet if the papers said anything good we'd have heard it by now. The only area I've heard even a muted claim for is tourism and the entertainment and hospitality sector is one that says it needs free movement of people.

It's not too late to change our minds.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    08-21-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

A brief reminder of something brexiteers would like to pretend was never said.

Nigel Farage wants second referendum if Remain campaign scrapes narrow win - Mirror Online

The Ukip leader said a small defeat for his leave camp would be “unfinished business” and predicted pressure would grow for a re-run of the 23 June ballot.

Farage told the Mirror: “
    In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way
    . If the remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it.”
    Had the remain vote been the winner farage would you would not be hearing shut up and accept it the people have spoken.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    08-21-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Ho ho ho.

That's me being seasonal and the news that Northern Ireland is to remain within the European Union if no alternative agreement on the Irish border can be reached.

No, that's not me being funny, that's today's news.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...n-brexit-talks

“in the absence of agreed solutions the UK will ensure that there continues to be continued regulatory alignment” with the internal market and customs union.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    08-21-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Later update: Bombed by the DUP. No deal yet, no move to trade talks yet.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    08-21-2018
    Local Time

I thought the DUP wouldn't have the clout, I thought the DUP agreement would break rather than the potential fix going forward. What prats in number 10 think the DUP is worth that.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    08-21-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Well, as I said on another thread, there are possible technical solutions and existing systems that could be expanded, according to Civil Servants reporting to the Brexit Select Committee.

You can have checks done at the point of departure and arrival rather than the Border itself, and there is apparently something called a Trusted Trader scheme that could license businesses with cross-border operations. But whether that would be enough I don't know.

I doubt this setback is enough to scupper brexit, sadly.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    08-21-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

What really pisses me off is that bexit is beingb touted as tye democratic will of the people. The leave side won by just less than four per cent, hardly an overwhelming majority, but if the 40 per cent rule had been applied, as it was in the 1979 failed Scottish devolution referendum, then that result (reducing to 37 per cent) would not have proceeded. So we have ended up in the situation where the 63 per cent of us who did not vote Leave are allowing ourselves to be bullied and dictated to by the Brexiteers. The labour party seem to have bought in to this myth it's as if the wishes of those who don't want to leave count for nothing.

Meanwhile

Theresa May touted for Scottish football manager's job | The National

THERESA May has been touted for the Scotland football manager's job by the SNP for her ability to "snatch defeat from the jaws of victory".

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    08-21-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

I haven't given up hope of a 2nd referendum. Muck ups like this demonstrate how much of a shafting we're in for even if we get a deal: Paying £40-50 billion(?) to get a worse deal than the one we have now, as the EU have said from the start? Crazy.

No deal is worse. No deal means planes don't fly because we lose our accreditation, lorries are immediately subject to border checks and even containers and cargos on ships would not have valid paperwork. Nothing would move until we made some deals and agreements an the other side would have ALL the power, as the EU does in these negotiations. Notice how the EU has set the agenda - we whinged and caved; they decide whether sufficient progress has been made - they decided it hadn't. We are at the mercy of people we are annoying and abusing. They were our friends.

I find it amazing Davis (who I assume actually negotiated the settlement - May was there to sign, no more) ever thought the DUP would accept a deal that aligned NI with the Republic not the UK. Is he that ignorant? That stupid? Was he setting May up for a deliberate public humiliation for a leadership bid?

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    08-21-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Ho ho ho.

That's me being seasonal and the news that Northern Ireland is to remain within the European Union if no alternative agreement on the Irish border can be reached.

No, that's not me being funny, that's today's news.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...n-brexit-talks

“in the absence of agreed solutions the UK will ensure that there continues to be continued regulatory alignment” with the internal market and customs union.

Ho ho ho again.

The revised wording is now public.

It's exactly what was proposed for Northern Ireland but now it extends to the entire UK: In the absence of agreed solutions, the United Kingdom will maintain full alignment with those rules of the internal market and the customs union.

We understand "full alignment" presumably? Something that is fully aligned has no divergence, it does not differ in any way. The UK has agreed that if no alternative is put in place by subsequent negotiation, the backstop position is the permanent continuation of the UK remaining within the internal market and the customs union. We don't have a say in any changes to the internal market and the customs union because we will no longer have a vote within the European Council, but we've agreed to conform to the market rules and customs.

Why any EU country would now pursue alternative "agreed solutions" I can't quite fathom. Why make further trade deals after getting that signed.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    08-21-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    Well, it looks to me as if we have a compromise agreement that pleases no-one. Brexiters will say we haven't left, because we haven't; Remainers will say all we have given up is the power to affect decisions.

It's not quite the worst of all possible outcomes but not far off.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast