Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    07:58 PM

Re: Early warning signs of fascism.

Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0eb58648b817b

As tyrants take control of democracies, they typically:

1. Exaggerate their mandate to govern – claiming, for example, that they won an election by a landslide even after losing the popular vote.

2. Repeatedly claim massive voter fraud in the absence of any evidence, in order to restrict voting in subsequent elections.

3. Call anyone who opposes them “enemies.”

4. Turn the public against journalists or media outlets that criticize them, calling them “deceitful” and “scum.”

5. Hold few if any press conferences, preferring to communicate with the public directly through mass rallies and unfiltered statements.

6. Tell the public big lies, causing them to doubt the truth and to believe fictions that support the tyrants’ goals.

7. Blame economic stresses on immigrants or racial or religious minorities, and foment public bias and even violence against them.

8. Attribute acts of domestic violence to “enemies within,” and use such events as excuses to beef up internal security and limit civil liberties.

9. Threaten mass deportations, registries of religious minorities, and the banning of refugees.

10. Seek to eliminate or reduce the influence of competing centers of power, such as labor unions and opposition parties.

11. Appoint family members to high positions of authority

12. Surround themselves with their own personal security force rather than a security detail accountable to the public.

13. Put generals into top civilian posts

14. Make personal alliances with foreign dictators.

15. Draw no distinction between personal property and public property, profiteering from their public office.

Maybe that's more of an American opinion?
    AH! Now I get it. That's typical Huffington, and I admire her style while not always agreeing.

She seems to be warning of a Trump dictatorship, which of course is NOT going to happen; in fact, he will be lucky to complete his first term. As I remarked to someone on an earlier thread, being half-way around the world is not really the best place to be in order to understand how the USA works. We've never had a dictator, with the possible exception of FDR, nor are we about to have one anytime soon.

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time
    12:58 PM

i believe you already have one.
    He's already alienated his allies......that's never a good thing . So if you want to come from the point of view that "half way around the world" nobody has any idea, is flawed, because his reach is far and wide. The problem is, Americans aren't made aware of his foreign policies affecting countries around the world.

Here's something to read.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-0...script/8773422

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    08:58 PM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Aspam View Post
    AH! Now I get it. That's typical Huffington, and I admire her style while not always agreeing.

She seems to be warning of a Trump dictatorship, which of course is NOT going to happen; in fact, he will be lucky to complete his first term. As I remarked to someone on an earlier thread, being half-way around the world is not really the best place to be in order to understand how the USA works. We've never had a dictator, with the possible exception of FDR, nor are we about to have one anytime soon.
    Well, I sure hope you're right. But, I live in the middle of Trump, USA. People around here seem to think that he is the second coming.
    People around he listen to him.

And that list seems like a checklist of items he and his little tribe are trying to do.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."
    - Anonymous

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Well, I sure hope you're right. But, I live in the middle of Trump, USA. People around here seem to think that he is the second coming.
    People around he listen to him.

And that list seems like a checklist of items he and his little tribe are trying to do.
    You do not identify your location, here in central Illinois that is not the case at all, but NATION-WIDE statistics by reputable pollsters show, the last time I checked, support for Trump WAY below 50%, and that is not likely to improve, more likely the opposite.

This is why, with no offense intended to mag, I continue to maintain that overseas opinions on USA politics are often way off base, just as I myself probably have an inaccurate view of political goings-on in GB (and also Australia).

The US senate, as far as I know, can begin impeachment proceedings at any time, just as happened with Nixon and some earlier slimeball officeholders. Of course, to do so the senate would have to have something impeachable, which to my knowledge is lacking right now, so we shall see.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time
    01:58 AM
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

No you don't. You use a classic tactic - don't answer the argument undermine the source thgat's what trump does you might as well shout fake news.

How about the list I used that was from the US Holocaust Memorial Museum, Hardly half way around the world. Why do you think he won't finish his first term?You seem to be assuming he respects the constitution.

Election Day: What Donald Trump Says Will Happen If He Loses | Time

Trump declined to promise at the final presidential debate that he would accept the election results regardless of outcome. “I’ll keep you in suspense,” he said. The following day at a rally in Ohio, he elaborated: “I will totally accept the results of this great and historic presidential election — if I win,” he said.

The US senate, as far as I know, can begin impeachment proceedings at any time, just as happened with Nixon and some earlier slimeball officeholders. Of course, to do so the senate would have to have something impeachable, which to my knowledge is lacking right now, so we shall see.
    So having russia help him doesn't count?

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    1. How about the list I used that was from the US Holocaust Memorial Museum, Hardly half way around the world. Why do you think he won't finish his first term?You seem to be assuming he respects the constitution.

2. So having russia help him doesn't count?
    1. I saw the list and I pointed out that virtually none of it applied to Trump or any other American politician. You are making my central point for me, you don't seem to understand how the American political system works.

2. That has not been proven. If proven he will very likely be out.

Proudly humble

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time

1. I saw the list and I pointed out that virtually none of it applied to Trump or any other American politician. You are making my central point for me, you don't seem to understand how the American political system works.

2. That has not been proven. If proven he will very likely be out.
    So, you've not seen any of the items on that list apply to any of the Trump administration's activities in the last 9 months?
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."
    - Anonymous

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    So, you've not seen any of the items on that list apply to any of the Trump administration's activities in the last 9 months?
    The list refers specifically to tyrants. The USA is not about to be ruled by tyrants. I could easily take one or more of the items on the list and apply it to pretty much any politician that I didn't like for one reason or another, certainly including Trump, but that is just political bullsh*t.

Who is going to overthrow our government, and by what means? Hmm?

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Kitten

The list refers specifically to tyrants. The USA is not about to be ruled by tyrants. I could easily take one or more of the items on the list and apply it to pretty much any politician that I didn't like for one reason or another, certainly including Trump, but that is just political bullsh*t.

But whatever you do, don't get caught napping. There is a very strong nationalistic trend happening in the US. Law enforcement has been quite selective about who and what they apply a heavy hand to, and not.

I meet lots of people in my service business (what is said to me because I'm a veteran and nationalistic minded people feel comfortable confiding in me) is often rather alarming.

Proudly humble

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.

Actually the list refers, specifically, to the types of activities in a society that, if allowed to continue, enable tyrants to succeed.
    - Anonymous

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast