Happy

Local Date
    09-22-2018
    Local Time
    04:47 PM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Diabetes

Look, FG even has a forum for it.

My grandmother had Type 2, my dad had Type 2, I was scarcely going to avoid it for ever. I've had annual blood tests to watch for it and the blood sugar count this month showed it has arrived.

What annoys me about doctors is the appalling nutritional advice they've given over the last however many years. Don't eat saturated fats they shouted. Fill up on potatoes. They should be pilloried. This year, the authorities say, stick to lots of fats including saturated ones and cut your carbohydrates as hard as you can manage. They've also reversed what they say about crash diets, from don't to this year's "cut your calories to 800 a day". Finally doctors are giving evidence-based advice. Not before time.

My BMI is only just under 30 so I can afford to lose up to a third of me and still not hit the underweight label. Bringing that blood sugar test (currently saying HbA1c = 76 mmol/L) back to normality (under 45) involves low carbohydrates. I'm looking at two birds with one stone here.

I've started using cronometer.com as a food diary and it's impressed me a lot.

We shall see what happens.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-22-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Re: Diabetes

Dear old thing,

Nothing changes the fact you are a fantastic person.

edit: and if there isn't something I disagree with you about I'll do my best to find it.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

is .

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-22-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

The very best of luck with it, your father managed to contain his with diet alone so, hopefully, so can you :-)

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-22-2018
    Local Time

I seem to remember him sticking pins in his fingers too. I shall defer self-administered Blood Glucose tests for now.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

is just trying to keep her head

I am:
    Shy

Local Date
    09-22-2018
    Local Time
    11:47 AM
    Gifts Kitten Kitten Kitten Cake Gift Balloons Gift Car

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I seem to remember him sticking pins in his fingers too. I shall defer self-administered Blood Glucose tests for now.
    Why? You are hyperglycemic. You should test, not guess. It doesn't hurt.

eta--I converted your mmol to 9.1 HbA1c. Is this correct or did I make a mistake? If it is 9.1 that's really bad.
    http://www.diabeteschart.org/mtop.html

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-22-2018
    Local Time

Your conversion is correct, yes.

I was hyperglycemic until they told me. Now I'm not.

There's urine test strips. They're doing three things at the moment. They're telling me I'm no longer excreting glucose which I had been, so my blood sugar is corrected; that I now have ketones instead which means I'm burning body fat; and that I ought to increase my water intake because that's currently only about a litre a day. I know why I have a water issue, it's because the only liquid I drink at the moment is black filter coffee and two litres a day would be unfortunate. I might just add a few glasses of iced water and see if that mends matters.

I can't measure HbA1c myself at home, but just to find out how to use the stabbing kit I bought I'll give it a go this week and see what my blood glucose actually is. I may faint while doing it. I may also have "It doesn't hurt" carved on my gravestone.

I am:
    Shy

Local Date
    09-22-2018
    Local Time

Ketones in your urine can become very dangerous:
    "Ketonuria is a medical condition in which ketone bodies are present in the urine. It is seen in conditions in which the body produces excess ketones as an indication that it is using an alternative source of energy. It is seen during starvation or more commonly in type I diabetes mellitus."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketonuria

Are you on any diabetic medications? Hba1c is an average of your daily blood sugars over an approximate period of 3 months so there is no point in not having your doctor do it over that time span; it's really not necessary for you to buy that test equipment. For daily, for new diabetics, take your blood sugar before a meal then again 2 hours later to see what your food did to you, if your blood sugar spiked.

In drawing your own blood for a test what is your problem? The sight of your own blood? Are you very susceptible to the slightest, smallest "ow-wie?" I don't even feel it, for goodness sake, spot. Test, don't guess!

eta--9.1 is, I repeat, real bad; maybe you should see an endocrinologist if you haven't already.

Another point--just because glucose is not being excreted in your urine DOES NOT MEAN that your blood sugars are normal.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-22-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    Are you very susceptible to the slightest, smallest "ow-wie?"
    I couldn't have put it better myself. That's exactly it. I have a sensitive nature. I'm not medicated.

The ketonuria bit is relevant to the type I people who aren't making insulin, because that way lies coma and death. For type II diabetics it's no different to the healthy population, it means your intake of carbohydrates is so low that your body is consuming itself. It's a desirable state for insane bodybuilders and people on crash diets. I have fifty pounds to get rid of by summer, keeping at a steady daily mid-range ketone level is how to check my diet is working, with a weekly scale weighing for confirmation.

I am:
    Shy

Local Date
    09-22-2018
    Local Time

Please give updates on how you are doing. I'm interested.

Everyone on my maternal side has been diagnosed as type 1, 1.5, 2 and brittle. I'm insulin dependent.

It's a subject I know a bit about, though you'd never think so reading my own Hba1c's. Most inconvenient disorder, I'm quite annoyed by it. Good luck.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-22-2018
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    That's kind of you, and I shall.

The only way I know of discovering whether I actually have an insulin problem - either resistance or deficiency - is an oral glucose test, and I've not had one of those. I might ask for one in a few months when I'm more stable.

My theory is that I got that high reading because I was lazily eating nothing but sandwiches for the last few months, practically everything was carbohydrate except the cheese and butter. Which makes it entirely my own fault, I know that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast