for someone else, and I got to wondering about the part
    where they say "It is against federal law to dispense this
    medication to anyone other than the person for whom it was
    prescribed" or something like that.

Now, if you were picking something up for your minor child,
    okay, but what about a wife picking up something for her
    husband? I've never been challenged on it and I'm glad
    because I have no way of proving who I am and since I
    retained my maiden name, I'm not even "Mrs. Joe Smith".

How is it that they get around this? I'm honest, the meds
    really ARE going to my husband, but they don't know that!

Anyone out there EVER been asked about it?

Tamsen's Dogster Page
    http://www.dogster.com/?27525

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-01-2014
    Local Time
    08:47 PM

Re: Prescription drug laws...

saying it is against the law to dispense the Rx to anyone other than the person prescribed for really means that nobody else is authorized to take the med or to be in possession of it. for example, if i find a bottle of pills on a subject, and it is not theirs, it's a charge. it is meant to prevent people from selling their meds or giving them to others. it's a disclaimer in essence. the pharmacist or pharmacy tech.that sells the Rx should be sure who they are releasing it to. i know that the pharmacists here will call us when thay have any suspicions whatsoever, they are not supposed to be acting like the police.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-01-2014
    Local Time
    I think what it meant by that is: It would be illegal for someone to prescribe the medication, resell the medication, or give the medication to anyone other than whom the original prescribing physician intended the medication for use.

So if you were to pick up the prescription for someone and then forwarded it to another individual (or used it for anything other than it's intended purpose)......that would be illegal.

After my car wreck, I spent months in physical therapy unable to walk or drive, and during this time I was loaded with all kinds of class 3 narcotics.....but I had no way of getting my scripts filled on my own. Therefore, I had others picking up and filling them. Now had these people sold the narcotics on the street or used them for their own pleasure....that would have violated federal law.

But what do I know? Ladycop may be able to provide you with a better interpretation of the law.
    ~Karla~

ALOHA..!!
    is From sunny San Diego..!!

I am:
    Cool

San Diego, California (Native born and raised)
    Local Date
    09-01-2014
    Local Time
    06:47 PM
    Gifts Balloons Car Cocktail Cocktail Cocktail Kitten Banana Cocktail

Smile Re: Prescription drug laws...

Technically they aren't suppose to give them to anyone but the perscribed name. They understand that some people physically can't come and get their medicine. Then, and only then should someone else be allowed to pick up medication. Even then they are suppose to check ID etc.

Sometimes doctor will note on the perscription that it will be picked up by so and so.. Then once again ID is still needed. Or a call to the physician, or the patient is made.

Even if your the mother picking up for your children if it's a new perscription all necessary ID should be shown.

If it's a Class A or 3 drug then its even hard for someone else to pickup(the ones drug sellers want). But can be done.

I have never been allowed to pick up a perscription without showing ID, even if its a refill.

Heck when I worked in a Hospital it wasn't uncommon to have someone try to fill a perscription that had been discarded in the trash with remaining refills on it. So becareful when you discard your medication bottles.. remove the labels...

A thief or drug user will stop at nothing to circumvent the system.
    ALOHA!!
    MOTTO TO LIVE BY:
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.
    WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Florrie
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

In the UK if I write px for a named patient/client and another individual utilised this px it is fraud and against the law.

Another person can be nominated by the patient/client to collect px from pharmacy and designated collecters name and signature is written on the script.

It is also an offense here to give ones own px meds to another, let alone sell.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-01-2014
    Local Time

drugs like oxycontin and other narcotics are strictly controlled. one oxy can go for $30. on the street. prescription pads now have fail-safes the pharmacist can notice right away. i know one hospital employee who was writing her own scrips, i arrested her 5 times. her buddy OD-ed and died. our pharmacists in my city call us with the least suspicion, and we will show up and arrest as they walk out the door. pharmacies are dangerous places to work these days, (worse than convenience stores.) we encourage the pharmacists to SAY NOTHING AND DO NOTHING except call us.

Long Time Member
    is Gentleman poster

I am:
    Happy

Winter months-Florida, Summer months- New England
    Local Date
    09-01-2014
    Local Time
    09:47 PM
    Gifts Beer

Quote Originally Posted by CARLA
    Technically they aren't suppose to give them to anyone but the perscribed name. They understand that some people physically can't come and get their medicine. Then, and only then should someone else be allowed to pick up medication. Even then they are suppose to check ID etc.

Sometimes doctor will note on the perscription that it will be picked up by so and so.. Then once again ID is still needed. Or a call to the physician, or the patient is made.

Even if your the mother picking up for your children if it's a new perscription all necessary ID should be shown.

If it's a Class A or 3 drug then its even hard for someone else to pickup(the ones drug sellers want). But can be done.

I have never been allowed to pick up a perscription without showing ID, even if its a refill.

Heck when I worked in a Hospital it wasn't uncommon to have someone try to fill a perscription that had been discarded in the trash with remaining refills on it. So becareful when you discard your medication bottles.. remove the labels...

A thief or drug user will stop at nothing to circumvent the system.
    Today, I just picked up "3" prescription meds (from CVS) for my wife, as she has a bad head cold/cough, and was feeling weak. The clerk put a clip board in front of me with the script #'s and asked me to sign for them. No ID, no questions, no nothing!!! Mind you, I am currently even out of state, still no questions, no ID check! Scary!!!
    Cars
    Cars
    <"LIFE is SHORT, Make the most of it!!!" GET OUTTA HERE!>
    <Love living Large!>
    <Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!>

Watanya Cecilia
    is at your service!

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    09-01-2014
    Local Time
    05:47 PM
    Gifts Gift Cake Cocktail Balloons Cake

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by cars
    Today, I just picked up "3" prescription meds (from CVS) for my wife, as she has a bad head cold/cough, and was feeling weak. The clerk put a clip board in front of me with the script #'s and asked me to sign for them. No ID, no questions, no nothing!!! Mind you, I am currently even out of state, still no questions, no ID check! Scary!!!
    Cars
    Wow that is a little scary... and it's exactly what I'm talking about!

I'm wondering if there isn't a tiny bit of profiling going on here... you
    know, nicely dressed 52 year old white lady with a wedding band goes
    to pick something up and it's no problem... versus the 20 year old
    single mom trying to get cough syrup for her sick baby and then there's
    a problem!

Hope your wife feels better soon...

Tamsen's Dogster Page
    http://www.dogster.com/?27525

+ Reply to Thread