Local Date
    07-23-2017
    Local Time
    08:38 AM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Re: Science Proves Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Pahu View Post

Fossil Gaps 1

If evolution happened, the fossil record should show continuous and gradual changes from the bottom to the top layers. Actually, many gaps or discontinuities appear throughout the fossil record (a).

a. “But, as by this theory innumerable transitional forms must have existed, why do we not find them imbedded in countless numbers in the crust of the earth?” Darwin, The Origin of Species, p. 163.

“...the number of intermediate varieties, which have formerly existed [must] truly be enormous. Why then is not every geological formation and every stratum full of such intermediate links? Geology assuredly does not reveal any such finely-graduated organic chain; and this, perhaps, is the most obvious and serious objection which can be urged against the theory [of evolution].” Ibid., p. 323.

Darwin then explained that he thought that these gaps existed because of the “imperfection of the geologic record.” Early Darwinians expected the gaps would be filled as fossil exploration continued. Most paleontologists now agree that this expectation has not been fulfilled.

[From “In the Beginning” by Walt Brown]
    Fossilization is a very sloppy, and haphazard process. It actually is an accidental result of specific conditions taking place. So, no, the fossil record is not ever continuous
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."
    - Anonymous

Ted
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-23-2017
    Local Time
    07:38 AM

Lars how right you are. As time goes on we slowly fill in the gaps. With millions oif years to deal with it will take a long time if ever.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-23-2017
    Local Time
    10:38 AM

Re: Science Disproves Evolution

Fossil Gaps 2

The Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago has one of the largest collections of fossils in the world. Consequently, its former dean, Dr. David Raup, was highly qualified to discuss the absence of transitions in the fossil record:

“Well, we are now about 120 years after Darwin and the knowledge of the fossil record has been greatly expanded. We now have a quarter of a million fossil species but the situation hasn’t changed much. The record of evolution is still surprisingly jerky and, ironically, we have even fewer examples of evolutionary transition than we had in Darwin’s time. By this I mean that some of the classic cases of Darwinian change in the fossil record, such as the evolution of the horse in North America, have had to be discarded or modified as a result of more detailed information—what appeared to be a nice simple progression when relatively few data were available now appears to be much more complex and much less gradualistic. So Darwin’s problem has not been alleviated in the last 120 years and we still have a record which does show change but one that can hardly be looked upon as the most reasonable consequence of natural selection.” David M. Raup, “Conflicts Between Darwin and Paleontology,” Field Museum of Natural History Bulletin, Vol. 50, No. 1, January 1979, p. 25.

[continue]
    Truth Frees! Evolution is evidence free speculation masquerading as science.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-23-2017
    Local Time

Fossil Gaps 2

[continued]

“Surely the lack of gradualism—the lack of intermediates—is a major problem.” Dr. David Raup, as taken from page 16 of an approved and verified transcript of a taped interview conducted by Luther D. Sunderland on 27 July 1979.

“In fact, the fossil record does not convincingly document a single transition from one species to another.” Stanley, p. 95.

“But fossil species remain unchanged throughout most of their history and the record fails to contain a single example of a significant transition.” David S. Woodruff, “Evolution: The Paleobiological View,” Science, Vol. 208, 16 May 1980, p. 716.

Ted
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-23-2017
    Local Time

What nonsense that sciewntis prove evolution did not happen. Must be SOME WANNABE SCIENTISTS.

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    07-23-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    What nonsense that sciewntis prove evolution did not happen. Must be SOME WANNABE SCIENTISTS.
    You have to remember that those quotes are completely out of context. Pahu may not understand the significance of such a statement, but, well, ..., need I say more?
    Last edited by LarsMac; 06-08-2017 at 09:34 AM.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."
    - Anonymous

Proudly humble

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    07-23-2017
    Local Time

Fossil Gaps 2

[continued]

“Surely the lack of gradualism—the lack of intermediates—is a major problem.” Dr. David Raup, as taken from page 16 of an approved and verified transcript of a taped interview conducted by Luther D. Sunderland on 27 July 1979.

“In fact, the fossil record does not convincingly document a single transition from one species to another.” Stanley, p. 95.

“But fossil species remain unchanged throughout most of their history and the record fails to contain a single example of a significant transition.” David S. Woodruff, “Evolution: The Paleobiological View,” Science, Vol. 208, 16 May 1980, p. 716.

So, I had to go look up the D Woodruff reference there. You really should read stuff for yourself before posting regurgitated claptrap.

Woodruff goes on to write:

(May 28, 2017 Science SCIENCE, VOL. 208 )
    An alternative model of evolution, that of punctuated equilibria, introduced by Niles Eldredge
    and Stephen Jay Gould in the early 1970's, more fully accounts for these same observations. According to this major conceptual breakthrough, rapid evolution is typically associated with
    speciation events that occur cryptically in small isolated populations, often at the edge of a species's geographic range.
    (This model does not require macromutations of the type that characterized earlier punctuational schemes.)
    It satisfactorily accounts for why the transitions for one species to another are not seen in the fossil record, why gaps are biologically meaningful, and why there are so few unbroken sequences of chronospecies known.

A fascinating article. You should read it.
    - Anonymous

Ted
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-23-2017
    Local Time

Lars you are correct about taking things out of context. Thanks for that explanation. It made me think of the Galapagos islands in the Pacific.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-23-2017
    Local Time

Fossil Gaps 3

Dr. Colin Patterson, a senior paleontologist at the British Museum (Natural History), was asked by Luther D. Sunderland why no evolutionary transitions were included in Dr. Patterson’s recent book, Evolution. In a personal letter, Patterson said:

“I fully agree with your comments on the lack of direct illustration of evolutionary transitions in my book. If I knew of any, fossil or living, I would certainly have included them. You suggest that an artist should be asked to visualise such transformations, but where would he get the information from? I could not, honestly, provide it, and if I were to leave it to artistic licence, would that not mislead the reader?...Yet Gould and the American Museum people are hard to contradict when they say that there are no transitional fossils. As a palaeontologist myself, I am much occupied with the philosophical problems of identifying ancestral forms in the fossil record. You say that I should at least “show a photo of the fossil from which each type organism was derived.” I will lay it on the line—there is not one such fossil for which one could make a watertight argument.” Copy of letter, dated 10 April 1979, from Patterson to Sunderland.

Proudly humble

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    07-23-2017
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.

Fossil Gaps 3

Dr. Colin Patterson, a senior paleontologist at the British Museum (Natural History), was asked by Luther D. Sunderland why no evolutionary transitions were included in Dr. Patterson’s recent book, Evolution. In a personal letter, Patterson said:

“I fully agree with your comments on the lack of direct illustration of evolutionary transitions in my book. If I knew of any, fossil or living, I would certainly have included them. You suggest that an artist should be asked to visualise such transformations, but where would he get the information from? I could not, honestly, provide it, and if I were to leave it to artistic licence, would that not mislead the reader?...Yet Gould and the American Museum people are hard to contradict when they say that there are no transitional fossils. As a palaeontologist myself, I am much occupied with the philosophical problems of identifying ancestral forms in the fossil record. You say that I should at least “show a photo of the fossil from which each type organism was derived.” I will lay it on the line—there is not one such fossil for which one could make a watertight argument.” Copy of letter, dated 10 April 1979, from Patterson to Sunderland.

The remains of a baby bird from the time of the dinosaurs have been discovered in a specimen of 99-million-year-old amber, according to scientists writing in the journal Gondwana Research.

The hatchling belonged to a major group of birds known as enantiornithes, which went extinct along with dinosaurs at the end of the Cretaceous period, about 65 million years ago. Funded in part by the National Geographic Society's Expeditions Council, this discovery is providing critical new information about these ancient, toothed birds and how they differed from modern birds.

This is also the most complete fossil yet to be discovered in Burmese amber. Mined in the Hukawng Valley in northern Myanmar, Burmese amber deposits contain possibly the largest variety of animal and plant life from the Cretaceous period, which lasted from 145.5 to 65.5 million years ago.

Baby Bird from Time of Dinosaurs Found Fossilized in Amber
    - Anonymous

+ Reply to Thread
Page 335 of 343 FirstFirst ... 235 285 325 333 334 335 336 337 ... LastLast