I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-18-2014
    Local Time
    04:21 PM
    Gifts Mop Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer

Re: Online PC Care Scam

My general rule is that I pass no information whatsoever and refuse to engage in any way with people who cold call. They may seem legitimate, like my bank, a charity, Sky TV, whoever, the rule is, sorry this is not appropriate. I do not buy, order, confirm. If I want double glazing, I will seek a company of my choice. If I want to reduce my utility bills I will do in under my own volition and not as a request from British Gas or NPower. I'm not interested in prizes won from a competition I haven't entered and I dont want to do a survey.

I am usually polite but very firm and don't give them time to respond. I have been rude on occasions (especially with a Sky TV operator who wanted to convince me to "come Back" ) and a few times have had a bit of fun with the pc scammers. Just refuse to engage with them. Say thanks but no thanks and hang up !

Its time for tougher regulations. None of us require cold calling. It's not essential to us in any way and only serves the companies that condone it, even the legitimate ones. It's a nuisance.

The practice of selling our personal information needs to stop
    Last edited by Snowfire; 10-07-2012 at 03:56 AM. Reason: spelling
    "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
    Winston Churchill

Cardi Goddess!!
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    12-18-2014
    Local Time
    Gifts Balloons Heart Cake

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    And I was right when I suspected he was a scammer. I Googled his phone number and it came up at several consumer complaint websites. And guess what? From Report Phone Number to CallerCenter.com, about 15 people out of the 18 recipients he called fell for his scheme and paid him money.
    Welcome to FG blue.

My friend has had a call in the last couple of months.
    Wouldn't it be nice to think that there is no chance of any more of these types of calls, I somehow doubt it though.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    12-18-2014
    Local Time
    Gifts Boxing Gloves Cocktail Boxing Gloves Balloons Puppy Gift Car Cocktail

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    My general rule is that I pass no information whatsoever and refuse to engage in any way with people who cold call. They may seem legitimate, like my bank, a charity, Sky TV, whoever, the rule is, sorry this is not appropriate. I do not buy, order, confirm. If I want double glazing, I will seek a company of my choice. If I want to reduce my utility bills I will do in under my own volition and not as a request from British Gas or NPower. I'm not interested in prizes won from a competition I haven't entered and I dont want to do a survey.

I am usually polite but very firm and don't give them time to respond. I have been rude on occasions (especially with a Sky TV operator who wanted to convince me to "come Back" ) and a few times have had a bit of fun with the pc scammers. Just refuse to engage with them. Say thanks but no thanks and hang up !

Its time for tougher regulations. None of us require cold calling. It's not essential to us in any way and only serves the companies that condone it, even the legitimate ones. It's a nuisance.

The practice of selling our personal information needs to stop
    Cold calling If dome well and respectfully without hidden cons that Insult the Intelligence of the receiver Is rewarding to companies.... My company In the 90's was making 80 million a year from 40 branches In cold calling.
    We used to buy our data In but we also used to whittle It down. If a caller got say, a very elderly person, we would offer to remove them from the data base... It makes no sense anyway calling someone who Is not going to buy. Anyone who also requested that we didn't ring them got removed. We had no hidden agenda, no con and no tactics... It was a straight forward ' Will you be considering this product In the future' No > OK Thanks for your time... end of..
    If anyone Is being pestered by cold calling you can register with the Telephone Preference List and It will all stop.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Supporting Member
    is I am counting the cost of Christmas

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-18-2014
    Local Time
    Gifts Mop Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer

I dislike even the legitimate companies that use cold calling. They can be intimidating and make vulnerable people feel they are obliged to take up their offer. The most honest of companies unfortunately employ aggressive salespersons. Sales by it's very nature needs an element of agression.

The guy from Sky who tried to persuade me to return to them was rude. When he asked what I missed not having Sky - I had the full package - I told him, " the sports channels. I dont miss the film channels because I find all my needs on line." When I wouldn't answer him on what site I used, he implied that I was downloading illegally, although I am not. Sky will never get my business ever again

Utility companies are always amazed that I don't want to change to them. "But we will save you money !" I don't care, it's my decision and I will choose when and where. If you are rude, you will never get me to sign up with your company.

Double glazing tele sales gasp in disbelief that I'm not impressed by the offer that "we are looking at houses in your area to use as showhouses for our product".

Too many innocent people are taken in by people on commission and are "gently" persuaded to buy something they would not have even considered had their phone not rung.

Just to be safe,lets not discriminate the bad from the good companies and dismiss all cold calling outright.
    "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
    Winston Churchill

is just trying to keep her head

I am:
    Shy

Local Date
    12-18-2014
    Local Time
    11:21 AM
    Gifts Kitten Kitten Kitten Cake Gift Balloons Gift Car

I do dismiss all cold-calling outright. Of course, I'm now on the fed Do Not Call list, so only the most dedicated scammers call me.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    12-18-2014
    Local Time
    Gifts Boxing Gloves Cocktail Boxing Gloves Balloons Puppy Gift Car Cocktail

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    I dislike even the legitimate companies that use cold calling. They can be intimidating and make vulnerable people feel they are obliged to take up their offer. The most honest of companies unfortunately employ aggressive salespersons. Sales by it's very nature needs an element of agression.

The guy from Sky who tried to persuade me to return to them was rude. When he asked what I missed not having Sky - I had the full package - I told him, " the sports channels. I dont miss the film channels because I find all my needs on line." When I wouldn't answer him on what site I used, he implied that I was downloading illegally, although I am not. Sky will never get my business ever again

Utility companies are always amazed that I don't want to change to them. "But we will save you money !" I don't care, it's my decision and I will choose when and where. If you are rude, you will never get me to sign up with your company.

Double glazing tele sales gasp in disbelief that I'm not impressed by the offer that "we are looking at houses in your area to use as showhouses for our product".

Too many innocent people are taken in by people on commission and are "gently" persuaded to buy something they would not have even considered had their phone not rung.

Just to be safe,lets not discriminate the bad from the good companies and dismiss all cold calling outright.
    In my company, the cold caller would get a lead. Then I'd phone them back half an hour later and confirm their details, this gave them a cooling off period. An hour before the sales rep was due to go out to them which could have been two days later, the sales manager would call and ask them if It was still Ok to send that rep. It gave them two chances to cancel so the cold caller made no milage by harrassing the recipient In the first place.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4