Happy

Local Date
    10-17-2017
    Local Time
    02:58 AM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Re: Unintelligibly illiterate BBC News article link text

Quote Originally Posted by Scrat View Post
    Don't feel bad Spot. The words ammunition, munition, round and shot are all seemingly used interchangeably in all different contexts. I read dozens of books on warfare and much material on the internet and it can get confusing.
    I have no doubt there's widespread confusion. That doesn't mean there's not a right answer and a wrong answer. Quite why Vampirella chooses to embarrass herself continually by following me around this way I'm unsure but she'd do far better if she were occasionally correct.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

is ..........................

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-17-2017
    Local Time
    11:58 AM
    Gifts Muffin Naughty Mag Cocktail Cocktail Beer Balloons

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I can take no more without protest. The BBC News website carries links by category into news reports. I have no idea who composes them but they're often misleading, often illiterate and frequently leave me utterly unaware of what the story is about. The BBC should pull its socks up.

As I see examples I'll drop them in here. The trigger for the thread, after all too many offences, is "Ammunition in policeman's mouth", the story to which is actually headlined "Bullet found lodged in mouth of Sutton St James siege officer". Bullet, yes. One refers, however, to a round of ammunition. A round of ammunition includes the casing, explosive charge and percussion cap as well as the bullet. A policeman with ammunition in his mouth would, perhaps, be hiding one or more rounds there, but it has nothing at all to do with these facts as presented. It's plain illiteracy and the BBC should be held to better standards.
    Hmmm I agree, a spent bullet ceases to be ammunition.

Banned
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    10-17-2017
    Local Time
    01:58 AM
    Gifts Boxing Gloves Cocktail Boxing Gloves Balloons Puppy Gift Car Cocktail

I have no doubt there's widespread confusion. That doesn't mean there's not a right answer and a wrong answer. Quite why Vampirella chooses to embarrass herself continually by following me around this way I'm unsure but she'd do far better if she were occasionally correct.
    The only one continually embarrassing themselves here Is you.

As for following you around ?
    Most of your threads, I don't even read let alone comment on. If challenging you on just two threads constitutes ' following you around ' then you are behaving like a petulant child as well as a hypocrite. You have littered this forum with troll like behaviour picking some members posts to pieces.
    I challenged you on the Falklands thread because of the words ' I propose ' when I had read a proposal prior that you found a suspicious manner of writing the author's words almost word for word In your OP.
    I challenged you on this thread because I had a feeling your OP was Inaccurate. I asked my husband first who has served In the armed forces In rifles and hand guns. He told me that 'Ammunition ' Is the collective term for any part of a weapon Including the missile fired from It. Then I checked out not one Un-authorised source but 5 Including The Collins and The English Dictionary which supported what my husband said. Scrat has posted that you are wrong. Today, I popped Into one of my local shops where the owner was a big cheese In the British Army. He also supported my husband and the 5 definitions I linked for you.

The only problem you have here, Is that you are wrong. Whilst you are happy to pick apart anyone who makes an error, you resort to Insults when you receive the same treatment, going as far as to make ludicrous accusations that you are being followed around. This Is the very reason newbie's don't stick around and many fear to tread In your threads and disagree with you. As when you have no-where to go, you start with the Insults. It's repetitive, boring and predictable. For goodness sake, grow up. Your wrong.... Be a man and accept It.

If you don't want to be challenged and proved wrong, It's simple, check your facts before you write and make a fool of yourself....

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-17-2017
    Local Time

What an unintelligibly illiterate plonker.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Banned
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    10-17-2017
    Local Time
    01:58 AM
    Gifts Boxing Gloves Cocktail Boxing Gloves Balloons Puppy Gift Car Cocktail

What an unintelligibly illiterate plonker.
    That's the best you've got little man ?

Pathetic.

is ..........................

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-17-2017
    Local Time
    11:58 AM
    Gifts Muffin Naughty Mag Cocktail Cocktail Beer Balloons

Sorry to interfere with the little tit tat going on here but if you notice the wording of the definitions you'll note they respond to its present and past tense . After a round, bomb, rocket has been fired it ceases to be ammunition It cannot be 'fired' again and therefore ceases to be 'ammunition'. Also if you break the word up (as my trusty form four english teacher always told us to do if not sure of a word) It's why they call it a 'munitions' dump and not an 'ammunitions' dump. The prefix 'am' gives the noun it's present full tense, but because the noun has the capacity to change it's design, 'am' is put in front of it to give the word scope.

If this copper has a spent round in his cheek it is not ammunition because the noun has changed it's design and use.
    I hope this helps.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-17-2017
    Local Time

Today we have 'Few know' Euro emergency number, in which it turns out that "Euro" is being used as an abbreviation for "European holiday" instead of naming the currency. The "Euro emergency number" turns out to be 112 and the Few turns out to be the British, though not in the conventional sense of those who fought the Battle of Britain. Many, in fact, know the European emergency number and Euro is never in any context a suitable abbreviation for European, holiday or otherwise, not even a BBC news link.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-17-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

Unless you have complained to the Beeb and they have edited the page, it reads OK to me.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-17-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    Unless you have complained to the Beeb and they have edited the page, it reads OK to me.
    The page reads fine, yes. It always did. The text of the link to the article is the unintelligibly illiterate bit.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-17-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    Sorry...........you are nit picking.
    It is a space limited link, and you have imposed your ill judged meanings to its content.
    Euro, although it is the European currency is also shorthand for Europe, as can be seen in several Euro prefixed instances.
    The word few means 'not many' when capitalised as The Few it means something else, to which you allude mistakenly.
    So to me......'Few know' Euro emergency number..... means.....

Not many people know European emergency numbers
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast