Happy

Local Date
    10-15-2018
    Local Time
    07:04 PM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Re: Unintelligibly illiterate BBC News article link text

I'm bemused.
    The Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew, in Richmond, south-west London, has the largest collection of living and preserved botanical specimens in the world.

It also has its own constabulary, set up in 1845 to give work to returning veterans of the Crimean War.

England's curiosities: Your questions answered - BBC News

1845? Crimean War? Fact checked?

Seriously?

Florence Nightingale would have been 25 when the Crimean war ended if that was right. Leo Tolstoy would have been 17, somewhat precocious for the author of "Sebastopol Sketches". Edwin Bezar, who became the oldest British enlisted survivor of the Crimean war, would have been 8.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-15-2018
    Local Time
    12:04 PM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I'm bemused.
    The Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew, in Richmond, south-west London, has the largest collection of living and preserved botanical specimens in the world.

It also has its own constabulary, set up in 1845 to give work to returning veterans of the Crimean War.

England's curiosities: Your questions answered - BBC News

1845? Crimean War? Fact checked?

Seriously?

Florence Nightingale would have been 25 when the Crimean war ended if that was right. Leo Tolstoy would have been 17, somewhat precocious for the author of "Sebastopol Sketches". Edwin Bezar, who became the oldest British enlisted survivor of the Crimean war, would have been 8.
    Nothing like planning ahead.
    It may not be so much that I've conceded your point as that you just can't hear me rolling my eyes.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-15-2018
    Local Time

The rate of teenage pregnancy is at the lowest level since records began in the 1960s.

A total of 5,483 of the 632,048 deliveries in England in 2015-16 were to teenage mothers.

'Being a teenage mother is so lonely' - BBC News

I'm reaching a point where I automatically disbelieve statements like this on the BBC News website, and that is very sad indeed.

"The number of deliveries for mothers aged under 20 has almost halved over the last ten years, from 43,572 deliveries in 2005-06 to 22,032 in 2015-16. [Geographical coverage: England] " - Hospital Maternity Activity, 2015-16 - NHS Digital

Perhaps the unqualified school-leaver on the BBC staff who wrote the article doesn't know what the word "teenage" means, but the site's editors ought to. Are these articles published without any form of vetting?

If the BBC News website would kindly publish articles written by AI engines instead of incompetents we might get more credible reports.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Proudly humble

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-15-2018
    Local Time

I don't really see the problem.
    I doubt that there are even countable numbers of pregnancies among the under 13 crowd. A VERY significant majority of the under 20 mothers are, in fact, teens.

Though there is, of course, that fact that "teen pregnancy" might still cover a majority of those who delivered when they were 20.
    I reckon THAT might give his/her numbers a tweak.

teen·ag·er
    ˈtēnˌājər/Submit
    noun
    a person aged from 13 to 19 years.
    synonyms: adolescent, youth, young person, minor, juvenile; informalteen, teenybopper
    "he's been counseling teenagers for twenty years"

A teenager, or teen, is a young person whose age falls within the range from 13 -19. They are called teenagers because their age number ends with "teen".
    It may not be so much that I've conceded your point as that you just can't hear me rolling my eyes.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-15-2018
    Local Time

The problem is that if the BBC article is correct and the NHS figure - which I take as definitive - is correct, then three out of four deliveries to girls under 20 are to girls aged 12 and under, which is manifest nonsense. The solution is that the BBC figure is bogus and probably refers to deliveries to girls under 16, the approximate term for which in England is "underage".

The numbers in both the BBC article and the NHS report refer to deliveries, not pregnancies.

Proudly humble

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-15-2018
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    The problem is that if the BBC article is correct and the NHS figure - which I take as definitive - is correct, then three out of four deliveries to girls under 20 are to girls aged 12 and under, which is manifest nonsense. The solution is that the BBC figure is bogus and probably refers to deliveries to girls under 16, the approximate term for which in England is "underage".

The numbers in both the BBC article and the NHS report refer to deliveries, not pregnancies.
    I suspect the BBC article is incorrect. I now see the source of your complaint.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55