Page 107 of 115 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 105 106 107 108 109 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1141

Thread: "The Friendly Café - Open for chinwaggin'

Local Date
    12-16-2018
    Local Time
    03:03 PM

Re: "The Friendly Café - Open for chinwaggin'

On the plus side, jump drives are ridiculously cheap and large now. As are portable hard drives. I have a 64 GB jump drive on a lanyard that I carry around, and I have a 4 TB portable hard drive for backup.

Local Date
    12-16-2018
    Local Time
    05:03 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_ View Post
    On the plus side, jump drives are ridiculously cheap and large now. As are portable hard drives. I have a 64 GB jump drive on a lanyard that I carry around, and I have a 4 TB portable hard drive for backup.
    Pretty amazing the storage technology we have at our disposal, now.
    I was given a 512 GB thumb drive for an activity sponsored by my employer.
    I still remember when it was a big deal when the 5 1/4 inch floppies doubled in capacity to 360 KB
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers

Local Date
    12-16-2018
    Local Time
    03:03 PM

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    I still remember when it was a big deal when the 5 1/4 inch floppies doubled in capacity to 360 KB
    Yeah...My first Mac at school was a HUGE 100 Mb. I thought, "How could anyone ever fill that much space?" Now it's just 20 digital pictures and an amount that is too small to even come on a jump drive...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Floppy Discs.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	42184  

Local Date
    12-16-2018
    Local Time
    10:03 PM

I can remember when I bought 'The latest' kick ass pc, It was the biggest thing available at the time in the UK ! I can remember installing it in our 'office' and setting everything up before my son returned from visiting a friend - he had no idea at all that I was intending to get a PC, let alone the latest model ! When he came home, I had left the office door open, by mistake and he noticed what he thought was a corner of a TV set. Curiosity overcame him and he went to investigate. As he opened the door wider he saw this amazing PC sitting enticingly on the desk, the monitor screen to one side with a keyboard infront, and a mouse and joystick in the space beside the keyboard. His face was a study and he let out such an exclamation of delight and disbelief. I think he thought all his birthdays and Christmases had arrived all at once !

I can't for the life of me remember the make, but I do know that it was around 512 something-or-others and had a huge memory for it's day. I had also installed a pair of very good, well balanced speakers, so he was all set up for playing video games on it.

I can remember the hours of hysterical laughter coming from me and my son as we played "Worms", I can remember my team was called 'Badass' and they had Yorkshire accents, my son's team were called 'Wyrms' and they had Scottish accents. It was a brilliant game ! But the only game that ever kept me up playing all night was a game called Sid Mieyer's Pirates - I loved that game, it was an adventure game and really addictive - brilliant fun. I wouldn't mind getting it again to play in Windows 10 on me noo HP Omen laptop ! Gawd, I think there would be no housework done by me if that happened ! Well we didn't have such wonderful stuff like computers, computer games, etc. when I was a child, so I'm only proposing to catch up on lost time !!!! It enthralls me to be able to control such lifelike people on a screen and have brilliant sound as well ! When I was a child, we had Dinky Toys and we used hard-backed books as buildings laid out on the dining room floor, and I used plastic thingies from a Chinese Checkers game that I had, as the people. I remember that the blue ones were police, the red ones were firefighters, the brown or green ones were 'baddies' and the other colours were just ordinary people ! Oh the imagination of a child ! Mind you I played for hours like that, with my two older brothers, much to my mum's relief !
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Local Date
    12-16-2018
    Local Time

Relieved that the weather seems to be improving. Our boiler karked on Wednesday so we were without any central heating since then. . I contacted several boiler repairers, but no joy as they were all pulled out of the place.
    I decided to see if my nephew Richard could help us. I knew it was probably a frozen outside outlet pipe, but there was no way I was going to let my OH take kettle of boiling water after kettle of boiling water outside to defrost that pipe - he's 80 next month and is just recovering from some sort of cold/lurgy. Had I been a bit younger and a bit more flexible, I would have tried it myself, well wrapped up, of course. But I am not either, so I thought of my nephew - he only lives a few streets away from us. I suspected that he was at work, so I told him not to worry as we've managed since Wednesday any way. He came round Saturday morning and sorted it for us, and it took him about an hour all told.

Wow !!!!!!!! The relief of getting the house warmed right through, not just in one room and the kitchen.
    It was quite right, that blinkin' pipe had frozen, even though it had been very well lagged !
    I had switched the boiler off to save it churning away and getting nowhere. Like an eejit I turned it off at the wall instead of on the boiler itself, and that meant the timer was off too !

It meant that I had to reset the timer before Richard came round to free off the ice, otherwise the clock would be registering some time in the middle of the night and the boiler would not switch on any way ! It was a case of getting to the timer box next to the boiler and it was rather awkward to get at, cos there was a dirty great heavy old-fashioned table desk in front of the boiler grrrrrr. But by doing a bit of bending and twisting, I got to it and sorted it out. Got an iffy back though now, so can't turn or move too fluently for a couple of days. OH couldn't have done it cos he's less limber than me at that sort of thing.

Any way, we've got our central heating back, thank goodness Richard said for us not to hesitate in calling on him again if we need help, for anything He is a very good worker and very clever at 'doing' things, repairs to anything really. Very useful fella - he used to be a very good car mechanic, then a welder, then a bricky, then a carpenter. He has been working with a fella on building contracts of all sorts, for several years now, all over the country, so he is away some times for a few days. Mostly, though, he works at places where he can get home each night, so that is useful.

I realise just how much we rely on central heating, having been without over, probably, the coldest few days of the year. Although our halogen fires were a godsend, you just can't beat decent central heating in the cold winter. Of course we had no hot running water either

Ere, it's lovely to be able to potter about the house without fleeces and Beanie hats on , and be able to just turn the tap on and get hot running water - yippee !!

Local Date
    12-16-2018
    Local Time
    02:03 PM

Shivering for you my friend. I moved from Pennsylvania to sunny (?) California to escape the cold and ice. I just got back from a month in wine country which had cold, rain, snow, sleet, all the things I hate...but I had my family with me so it was wonderful. And we had good heaters!
    Stay warm my friend.

Local Date
    12-16-2018
    Local Time

Thanks Zap ! Good to see you out and about, and enjoying the company of your family. I hope everybody is OK and particularly yourself - I trust you are looking after yourself and keeping safe.

Everything here is now rapidly getting back to normal, for the time of year. That very cold 'snap' was indeed VERY cold, and of course, as is typical, we have to loose our heating when we most need it However, we survived (my hubby was in the scout movement for many years, so he was 'prepared' ). All is working fine now.

Of course, now we aren't so desperate for heating, the flamin' weather is quite mild here, and there is no sign of any snow at all ! Some folk in the UK, though, are now suffering flooding with the melting snow, thank goodness we live halfway up a hill ! But there are power failures happening in rural and not so rural areas, so the various services are working hard to rectify that situation.

Anyway, all is now fine here with my family so you take care Mrs. Gypsy

Local Date
    12-16-2018
    Local Time
    05:03 PM

Glad to hear that you are warm and dry Gilly.
    That was a pretty nasty blow you all got there.
    We are having an unseasonably warm a dry winter, so far. A few cold days and a lot of temps hovering around freezing, mixed with days in the 60's (f)
    We could really use some of that snow. We have had a number of wildfires due to dry, warm weather and high winds.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers

Local Date
    12-16-2018
    Local Time
    11:03 PM

Happy weekend everyone !

Local Date
    12-16-2018
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Well we had a heat wave, then we had torrential rain, now we've got very cold (for the time of year) and wet, showery, and windy weather. No wonder folk in the UK tend to be on the unhealthy side ! What with a lack of vitamin D and unseasonal cold blasts, it is not surprising that doctors' surgeries are full of ill people. Fortunately our doc's instruct their patients that if they feel they have a bad cold or flu symptoms then they should telephone the doc's for a 'phone consultation' and avoid mixing their germs with other people in the waiting room.

Sound advice, and not before time either.

Also do you take anti-bacterial hand wipes with you when you go to the supermarket ? You should, if only to wipe the handles of the trolleys/carts before you touch them, and also any door handles. One has no idea what a previous customer has put on that trolley handle, particularly if they went to the 'loo' and didn't wash their hands afterwards ! YUK !

Have an enjoyable day !

Wow, I managed to get a post successfully planted !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 107 of 115 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 105 106 107 108 109 ... LastLast