Cool

Local Date
    06-22-2017
    Local Time
    09:38 PM
    Gifts Heart Cocktail Kitten Gift Balloons Balloons Ban Hammer Gift

Re: "The Friendly Café - Open for chinwaggin'

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_ View Post
    (the door opens, and Saint strolls in, dusting snow off his jacket absently) What's this about "gritting lorries?" Oh, you mean the sand trucks. (Saint hangs up his coat on a hook and opens a Dr. Pepper) I know these things are bad for me but I've got to get some caffeine some way! I've just spent the morning underneath my truck, dropping the gas tank so that I could change out the fuel pump. Blasted engineers! Don't they think that someone might want to fix or maintain something that they made? I remember changing the fuel pump on my Camaro back in 1977. Two bolts and done! And it was on the side of the engine! Took me all of twenty minutes!

And the pricing! You know that fuel pump was $230 over the counter? And the shop wanted another $600 to put it in? Thank goodness for Amazon and YouTube! I got a new one for $100 and put it in myself after watching a youtube video on how to do it.

(Saint slumps into a chair and sips his Dr. Pepper.)
    Saint, that was really good ! I loved the way you told your story!

It certainly pays to 'shop around' particularly through Amazon, and YouTube are amazing, the different stuff you can find out about. I reckon that with Wikipedia and YouTube, you could be set up for anything that came along !
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Recycled Teenager
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    06-22-2017
    Local Time

There are times when I wish it would either throw it down with rain or throw it down with a blizzard ! I'm so fed up with there being so much heavy miserable cloud filling the sky. It spits with rain, then it turns to a sort of sleet, then into snow flakes like goose feathers and that seems to cover the ground fairly quickly, but it doesn't stay. Then it spits with rain again, and so on ! It is soooo tantalising ! We're told by bulletins on the TV that there is snow spreading in from the west, making it's way across the country and out over the North Sea. Still waiting !

Recycled Teenager
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    06-22-2017
    Local Time

I have made a decision to change my broadband provider ! I checked the speed yesterday and it is no faster than the old dial-up !!!!! I will deal with it all tomorrow when I will phone my existing provider and ask if I can have a rebate because I have been paying for a service that I am not getting ! Then I shall contact Virgin Media and book them to connect me to their carbon fibre underground system (we already have the cable installed to a small box on the outside of our kitchen wall, which was installed by the original Diamond Cable many years ago). You may wonder why I haven't sorted this before, well the simple answer is that we can't really afford the monthly payments, but I have noticed that our existing provider's charges are now not a lot less than one of the Virgin packages, so we'll manage the few pounds extra each month and perhaps I shall be able to use broadband and get much more satisfactory results ! At least it could save me having a nervous breakdown !!! That's got to be worth paying a few extra quid a month innit !

Banned
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    06-22-2017
    Local Time
    08:38 PM
    Gifts Boxing Gloves Cocktail Boxing Gloves Balloons Puppy Gift Car Cocktail

I also suffered Gill but was very wary of changing supplier after hearing so many horror stories. In the end we updated to Infinity Fibre Optics a couple of years ago and now speed Is a dream.
    When we compare our monthly bill to others, yes, we pay a lot more but we've been with BT for decades and better the devil you know and all that.
    What was driving me mad, was waiting and waiting for racing replays to load... something I have to subscribe to and pay for.
    Every now and then, Peter throws a hissy about our BT charges and we then have a minor domestic over switching suppliers. Also as I am a bit of a div when It comes to technology, I have to say, that despite having to speak to someone sheltering from a Monsoon In Delhi, I can not fault BT help line for their patience and time should Peter not be here to put things right for me.
    I can't reccomend Infinity highly enough. I do a lot of work on my laptop and I can run several pages all at once and flip from one to another.

Recycled Teenager
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    06-22-2017
    Local Time

Thanks for that, Oscar, but I used to be with BT some years ago and I was let down by them several times. I said then that enough was enough and contacted Orange, who at that time gave a very good cheap package. Now, for some reason, my speed has got slower and slower. I won't return to BT, I won't go to Sky cos they are probably the most expensive, so we'll have a chat with Virgin Media and see what they can offer us.

Banned
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    06-22-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by G#Gill View Post
    Thanks for that, Oscar, but I used to be with BT some years ago and I was let down by them several times. I said then that enough was enough and contacted Orange, who at that time gave a very good cheap package. Now, for some reason, my speed has got slower and slower. I won't return to BT, I won't go to Sky cos they are probably the most expensive, so we'll have a chat with Virgin Media and see what they can offer us.
    Virgin do a package to update to fibre optics

http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/offers/providers/virgin-broadband?_$ja=cgid:12143799858|tsid:38821|cid:176 561898|lid:14168203318|nw:g|crid:61466215458|rnd:1 3513220661831801222|dvc:c|adp:1t2&gclid=CNH559rKqM MCFUsJwwoddGcALg

For us, the difference was Immediate after upgrading.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    06-22-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by G#Gill View Post
    I am on Virgin Broadband and believe it cannot be bettered.
    My package includes Telephone with bits and pieces such as call barring to overseas, mobiles, and premium numbers,all landline upto 60 min calls inclusive.
    Broadband up to 50mb (whatever that means)
    They throw in a Tivo thingamy for FREE (they say) that I didn't want when they installed it for the Basic TV, I wouldn't be without it now though, it is brilliant.
    This includes a 'Loyalty discount' of £ 2.00 because I threatened to leave them last year.......and this comes in just over £ 38.00
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Banned
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    06-22-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    I am on Virgin Broadband and believe it cannot be bettered.
    My package includes Telephone with bits and pieces such as call barring to overseas, mobiles, and premium numbers,all landline upto 60 min calls inclusive.
    Broadband up to 50mb (whatever that means)
    They throw in a Tivo thingamy for FREE (they say) that I didn't want when they installed it for the Basic TV, I wouldn't be without it now though, it is brilliant.
    This includes a 'Loyalty discount' of £ 2.00 because I threatened to leave them last year.......and this comes in just over £ 38.00
    Did you have to change your e mail address ?

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    06-22-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

I'm with TalkTalk & I find their connection speed & reliability to be excellent, and a fraction of the price of the other main ones, mainly due to the fact that they allow you to go for a bare bones basic package & add optional extras as & when you please, whereas the others include them, whether you want them or not, even though you're still expected to pay for them.

My only gripe with TalkTalk, though, is that their Customer Service is crap, although I have rarely ever had the need to contact them.

Recycled Teenager
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    06-22-2017
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Thanks for all your advice, I'll see what I can wangle. I did hear that Virgin sometimes have to return a couple of times to get the installation completely right, but so long as they do a good job in the end I don't expect I shall mind a couple of false starts ! My nephew has Virgin Media and he had a couple of repeat visits before Virgin got his set up correct. He was also allowed to keep his original phone number too, which is good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 94 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast