----

Local Date
    06-28-2017
    Local Time
    11:12 AM
    Gifts Beer Beer Beer

Re: "The Friendly Café - Open for chinwaggin'

Quote Originally Posted by G#Gill View Post
    He was also allowed to keep his original phone number too, which is good.
    That's Oscar's main objection because of the effort it would involve informing everyone of a new number and even e mail address.

Banned
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    06-28-2017
    Local Time
    07:12 PM
    Gifts Boxing Gloves Cocktail Boxing Gloves Balloons Puppy Gift Car Cocktail

Come on Mrs, what time do you call this.? You're not still In bed are you ? I've finished one job for the day already. Took a good 15 minutes to defrost the car early this morning.

Are you still pushing out the Z's. ? That's because you went way past your bed time last night.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    06-28-2017
    Local Time
    08:12 PM
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Namechange View Post
    Did you have to change your e mail address ?
    I have the same email address from when Virgin was NTL.......and the same telephone number from BT
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    06-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by G#Gill View Post
    Thanks for all your advice, I'll see what I can wangle. I did hear that Virgin sometimes have to return a couple of times to get the installation completely right, but so long as they do a good job in the end I don't expect I shall mind a couple of false starts ! My nephew has Virgin Media and he had a couple of repeat visits before Virgin got his set up correct. He was also allowed to keep his original phone number too, which is good.
    I have been with them a good few years, and to be very honest if you get any problems, they are a long time sorting it.
    I have never had trouble with Telephone or Broadband quality, only when I wanted to use my free Website space did I throw a wobbler because it kept rejecting my ancient email address that is tied to it. But I complained big time on their Forum and I got a secret helper to sort things out for me with his own hotline telephone number.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    06-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

I've had my phone through BT, Cable & Wireless, NTL, Tiscali & now TalkTalk, and I still have the same number. If you are simply changing suppliers, they take over all the details for you & you always get to keep your number. It's only if it's a totally new account, without a transfer, that you have to take a new one.

Recycled Teenager
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    06-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Heart Cocktail Kitten Gift Balloons Balloons Ban Hammer Gift

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    I've had my phone through BT, Cable & Wireless, NTL, Tiscali & now TalkTalk, and I still have the same number. If you are simply changing suppliers, they take over all the details for you & you always get to keep your number. It's only if it's a totally new account, without a transfer, that you have to take a new one.
    Thank you for that FourPart
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Recycled Teenager
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    06-28-2017
    Local Time

Must tell you about a woman who had to take a bottle with a urine sample in it to the hospital for tests.

She arrived at the hospital at her appointment time, but she was in such a state, the nurses and doctors just couldn't understand why she was hysterically laughing, tears pouring down her face, clutching her sides. When she had eventually calmed down enough to talk, she began to explain:

"I was bringing my sample here, this morning, and I realised I was a bit early so I nipped into a shop to get a couple of items I needed. On my way out, this 'wino' bumped into me just outside the door, he was very apologetic and I thought no more about it, till I got to the hospital door here and I checked my sample bottle was OK , but it had disappeared ! It made me panic a bit at first, till I remembered the job I had at home to find a suitable bottle for my sample, but in the end I found this empty bottle and thoroughly washed it out and used that for my sample.

Unfortunately I forgot to scrub off the whisky label, and that 'wino' who bumped into me....................." the poor woman collapsed into more hysterical laughter at the thought.

Recycled Teenager
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    06-28-2017
    Local Time

It's been a bit on the cool side today and there is a weather warning out for snow,. Don't expect we will get much though, but it will probably hit Derbyshire and high ground further north. It won't be like they're about to get in America though - around 3 feet of snow, plus ! They say they are experiencing a Polar Vortex ! That sounds particularly bad doesn't it !

UK Weather Alert: Dreaded 'Polar Vortex' Not Bringing Snow Misery Anytime Soon

is just trying to keep her head

I am:
    Shy

Local Date
    06-28-2017
    Local Time
    03:12 PM
    Gifts Kitten Kitten Kitten Cake Gift Balloons Gift Car

That wino story is hysterical!

Recycled Teenager
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    06-28-2017
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    I'm not sure whether that wino story is a 'story' or if it really happened to somebody !

I have another story which I do know to be true, because it happened to me !............

My seriously frightening night drive in a thunderstorm !

Many years ago I used to play electric guitar and sing in a band, playing at gigs in Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire and Derbyshire. One night we had a gig at Stamford in Lincolnshire which finished at midnight, so by the time we'd packed all our gear into our cars and changed from our stage clothes it was nearly 1.00 am before I set off home. It was a really foul night weather wise, the heavens had opened and the rain was like a tropical monsoon. I came out of Stamford and got onto the A1 northbound, there was nobody else in the car. I turned off the A1 onto the A52 at Grantham and travelled towards Nottingham.

At this point a terrific thunderstorm had developed, and there was so much lightning that the darkness of the night was turned into constant daylight. The rain was still torrential and my speed was no more than 35 mph, it just wasn't safe to go any faster. I thought ' well I ain't going to get home till nearer 3 am at this rate ' so I settled down for a slow drive home. The whole spectacle of the storm was truly amazing. There was very little traffic on the road which was a relief, but, as the road was swimming with water, I was gripping the wheel fairly strongly just in case I hit a disguised puddle and it tried to pull my wheels. I had just gone through a village called Elston and was running down a long straight piece of road. The lightining was flashing constantly still and the thunder was dreadfully loud, and I was glad there was no traffic and no headlights to add to my problems.

Suddenly there was an indescribably bright flash immediately to my left with an instantaneous huge crash of thunder - 'God that was close !' . My steering wheel never moved an inch and my grip on the wheel was still just as strong. To my horror I was driving on the wrong side of the road ! Thank God there was nothing coming the other way ! I steered back to the correct side of the road, and my knees started knocking - how the hell did that happen? A moment later an articulated lorry came round the curve at the bottom of this straight and headed towards me - if he'd been 10 secs earlier, there would have been a head-on and instant stopping at a closing speed of 75-80 mph doesn't leave much of a car or the occupant when it hits a lorry!

I was told later on that it is possible for a lightning strike as close as that must have been to my car would be quite capable of pushing a moving solid object sideways particularly as the surface of the road gave no resistance due to the water on it. What a terrifying thought! We're all told that lightning doesn't strike a moving object, and in any case when you are in a vehicle you are insulated by the tyres. But, it seems, you are not totally safe when you are driving in a thunderstorm, so just be alert and cut your speed right down.

I did get back home at around 3 am, and I was very relieved to be there. I had never experienced such a torrential storm in my life till then. It was a shame that I was driving at the time as I would have been awestruck by such a spectacle had I been able to watch from the safety of my house !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 94 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast