Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    06:14 PM
    Gifts Heart Cocktail Kitten Gift Balloons Balloons Ban Hammer Gift

Re: "The Friendly Café - Open for chinwaggin'

Quote Originally Posted by cars View Post
    b

Happy 4th of July to those who celebrate it!

When I was a teenager on the 4th, my dad and my uncle were lighting "M80's" and tossing them under a coffee can on the ground. Of course when it exploded, the can shot up around 50 feet into the air! We all laughed, it was fun.

So finally I talked them into letting me light one off myself.
    I lit the fuse, and all in one motion tipped the can on the ground with my left hand, (like they did) and lifted my right hand up (like they did) to toss the M80 under the can, and "BOOM" (I wasn't fast enough) it exploded in my hand, close to my ear!

I had a terrible ringing in my ear, and we all looked and counted, I still had all 5 fingers (thank God) on my hand, still could see (thank God) and was shaken up beyond all belief!

I had that ringing in my ear for a few days, and my hand was a little swollen, and sore, but thank God, I still had it!

All three of us never told my mom a word of what happened, she knew something happened, but not what.
    I was just happy that I was all in one piece!

Sorry Mr. cars, but I don't know what an M80 is. I obviously assume it is some form of explosive, possibly to do with the American Army ? Sounds as if you were very lucky ! I don't expect you tried that stunt again eh !

My Dad used to do something similar when we were kids. He was a pharmacist, so had access to all sorts of stuff. He used a Tate & Lyle Golden Syrup tin, put this 'stuff' in it, lit a sort of a fuse, rammed the lid back on the tin, turned the tin so it sat on the lid. We all moved well away and watched as this tin exploded and threw itself many feet in the air.

Another time he would put the syrup tin upside down, presumably with explosive contents ready for action inside. He placed the tin at the far end of a narrow garden path in our back garden, carefully poured a line of powder from where we were standing right along this path to the tin (about 40 feet away), returned to where we were standing in eager anticipation, he lit the powder stuff which sizzled and sparkled all the way up to the tin, and under the tin, which then exploded, throwing itself well high into the air, much to our delight and amazement. He never told us what the 'stuff' was, but I suspect it was gunpowder of some sort ! Gawd, we'd never be able to do that sort of thing these days, what with Elf and Sefty watchin' our every move !
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Recycled Teenager
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by minks View Post
    Happy belated 4th to everyone to the south, I hope everyone had fun.
    I second that, minks, to all our American friends.

Long Time Member
    is Gentleman poster

I am:
    Happy

Winter months-Florida, Summer months- New England
    Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    02:14 PM
    Gifts Beer

Quote Originally Posted by G#Gill View Post
    Sorry Mr. cars, but I don't know what an M80 is. I obviously assume it is some form of explosive, possibly to do with the American Army ? Sounds as if you were very lucky ! I don't expect you tried that stunt again eh !

My Dad used to do something similar when we were kids. He was a pharmacist, so had access to all sorts of stuff. He used a Tate & Lyle Golden Syrup tin, put this 'stuff' in it, lit a sort of a fuse, rammed the lid back on the tin, turned the tin so it sat on the lid. We all moved well away and watched as this tin exploded and threw itself many feet in the air.

Another time he would put the syrup tin upside down, presumably with explosive contents ready for action inside. He placed the tin at the far end of a narrow garden path in our back garden, carefully poured a line of powder from where we were standing right along this path to the tin (about 40 feet away), returned to where we were standing in eager anticipation, he lit the powder stuff which sizzled and sparkled all the way up to the tin, and under the tin, which then exploded, throwing itself well high into the air, much to our delight and amazement. He never told us what the 'stuff' was, but I suspect it was gunpowder of some sort ! Gawd, we'd never be able to do that sort of thing these days, what with Elf and Sefty watchin' our every move !

Hi Ms. G, I haven't added a picture in here for years, I tried to add a Picture of the M 80 fireworks that I mentioned. Hope it works, if it didn't sorry.
    The fuse on the one I had was much shorter! So quicker time for it to go off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "The Friendly Café - Open for chinwaggin'-m80sign.jpg  
    Cars
    <"LIFE is SHORT, Make the most of it!!!" GET OUTTA HERE!>
    <Love living Large!>
    <Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!>

Recycled Teenager
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time

Thanks for the explanation, Cars. Sorry I've taken a while to respond !

So here's a bit of fun to bring a smile to your face............

FOR FACEBOOK NON-USERS AND SENIORS.......

For those of my generation who do not use and cannot comprehend why Facebook exists:

I am trying to make friends outside Facebook while applying the same principles. Therefore, every day I walk down the street and tell passers by what I have eaten, how I feel at the moment, what I have done the night before, what I will do later and with whom.

I give them pictures of my family, my dog, and of me gardening, taking things apart in the garage, watering the lawn, standing in front of landmarks, driving around town, having lunch, and doing what anybody and everybody does every day.

I also listen to their conversations, give them the "thumbs up" and tell them I like them.

And it works just like Facebook. I already have five people following me: two police officers, a private investigator, a priest and a psychiatrist.

Long Time Member
    is Gentleman poster

I am:
    Happy

Winter months-Florida, Summer months- New England
    Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    02:14 PM
    Gifts Beer

Quote Originally Posted by G#Gill View Post
    Thanks for the explanation, Cars. Sorry I've taken a while to respond !

So here's a bit of fun to bring a smile to your face............

FOR FACEBOOK NON-USERS AND SENIORS.......

For those of my generation who do not use and cannot comprehend why Facebook exists:

I am trying to make friends outside Facebook while applying the same principles. Therefore, every day I walk down the street and tell passers by what I have eaten, how I feel at the moment, what I have done the night before, what I will do later and with whom.

I give them pictures of my family, my dog, and of me gardening, taking things apart in the garage, watering the lawn, standing in front of landmarks, driving around town, having lunch, and doing what anybody and everybody does every day.

I also listen to their conversations, give them the "thumbs up" and tell them I like them.

And it works just like Facebook. I already have five people following me: two police officers, a private investigator, a priest and a psychiatrist.

j

It's really funny cause it's so true! You're welcome, and it's good to see you back. Happy posting!
    Cars
    <"LIFE is SHORT, Make the most of it!!!" GET OUTTA HERE!>
    <Love living Large!>
    <Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!>

Recycled Teenager
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time

I've never really gorn away, I just visit another site and spend a couple of days there, which then stretches to a week etc. I then realise I haven't visited FG for a while, so pop back to catch up, then if there is nothing of interest I return to this other site etc. etc. I must try to pop in each site for a short while each day or so. I also get involved with the arcade !!! I used to just come into FG and no other site because I felt I couldn't manage to visit more than one site.

Well I was persuaded to visit another site from time to time, then I got involved with people on there and made some friends, so FG kind of fell behind a little bit, particularly as many of my FG friends moved away because of how it seemed to be moving towards politics and religion more and more. One or two 'old' members have returned, which is good news and it is improving the thread subjects which has got to be a good thing.

ZAP
    Currently Offline
    Supporting Member
    is a child of the universe

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    10:14 AM
    Gifts Paintbrush Cocktail Gift Naughty Mag Banana Paintbrush Gift Cocktail

Quote Originally Posted by ZAP View Post
    I've been traveling starting with a trip to Kansas City (Goin' to Kansas City-Kansas City here I come), a family reunion, then to Reno, Nevada and some rodeo and ropin' action, then to Sparks to see my friend's beautiful Koi pond and Japanese garden and do some landscape architecture with a friend from the 9th grade and now tomorrow to Pittsburgh where I'll catch up and spend some time with some old friends. After that it's on to San Jose and Santa Cruz and a beach concert with Eric Burton and The Animals.
    I cannot believe I misspelled (spelt?) Eric Burdon's name!! The man is absolutely amazing! He did 2 shows on the beach bandstand--FANTASTIC!
    Kansas City was still there but I didn't see anybody standing' on the corner-12th Street & Vine. The rodeo was good--I won a "Ropin'" T-shirt because I jumped the highest to catch it. I got a bite on one of my books that I've been following up on.
    It rained nearly every day in Pittsburgh, just as I had requested I collected more Morgan Hill Poppy Jasper and did some rock landscaping and painting of my own at my daughter's place. I'm going home tomorrow but I'll go back to Reno at the end of this month to be with my friend who is having a hip replacement and wanted me to stay with her for a couple of weeks. I hope my house is still there in Southern California.

Recycled Teenager
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time

I cannot believe I misspelled (spelt?) Eric Burdon's name!! The man is absolutely amazing! He did 2 shows on the beach bandstand--FANTASTIC!
    Kansas City was still there but I didn't see anybody standing' on the corner-12th Street & Vine. The rodeo was good--I won a "Ropin'" T-shirt because I jumped the highest to catch it. I got a bite on one of my books that I've been following up on.
    It rained nearly every day in Pittsburgh, just as I had requested I collected more Morgan Hill Poppy Jasper and did some rock landscaping and painting of my own at my daughter's place. I'm going home tomorrow but I'll go back to Reno at the end of this month to be with my friend who is having a hip replacement and wanted me to stay with her for a couple of weeks. I hope my house is still there in Southern California.

Zap, SLOW DOWN !!!! You're gonna come back before you leave, at this rate ! Besides, I'm quite out off breath keeping up with you ! I just knew I shouldn't have sent you those rollerskates ! Please keep safe, Zap, but do enjoy all your travels

Recycled Teenager
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time

Well I don't know how Zap is getting on during her travels, I just hope all is OK with her.

At the moment, I feel that we are very close to a world war, and a nuclear one at that. Quite honestly these times are probably worse than the 1960s when things got very hot over the Cuban crisis. Then there was the touchy time in the 1980s when the world came very close to a melt-down and there was a sort of stand-off. I was making plans to utilise our basement as a shelter and formulated 'what to do in case', however at that time my hubby was skippering a charity trip boat for handicapped people, so was not at home but somewhere on the inland waterway ! My son was at school and it would take him quite a bit longer than '4 minutes' to get home. My family would be split, should the worst happen.

At the moment, I feel that we are far closer to a severe situation than we have ever been before. There is so much sabre rattling from North Korea and U.S.A. and there seems to be no sensible end in sight. What severely concerns me is that my family is split again - my son is working in Wales. My hubby and I will be together but not with our son. He won't have time to get back home with us. I just hope that sense can prevail in this frightening situation and that a peaceful solution can be agreed upon by all concerned. I wish people would watch the videos of Chernobyl, and that was an accident !

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    01:14 PM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    It's a little late, now, I reckon, but if you find yourself in Colorado in the next month, PM me, and perhaps we can meet up for a beer, or a burger (or both).
    We are stuck here pending repairs to the Dancer, probably through most of September. The Missus still wants to go to Maine before the Winter sets in. That should be interesting. I figure a week or two there, and then follow the Fall colors down the Eastern side of the Appalachian ranges, to North Georgia, spend some time with family there, the head down to Florida for the winter. We gonna be Snow Birds!)
    We might still make it over to California for late winter/Early Spring.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."
    - Anonymous

+ Reply to Thread
Page 96 of 98 FirstFirst ... 46 86 94 95 96 97 98 LastLast