I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    08-20-2017
    Local Time
    06:10 PM
    Gifts Heart Cocktail Kitten Gift Balloons Balloons Ban Hammer Gift

"The Friendly Café - Open for chinwaggin'

Well I've unlocked the door and set the coffee machine going etc. etc. I reckon with this cold weather invading us, well certainly those of us in the UK, we'll need hot coffee on tap! At the moment it is snowing quite hard so if it keeps going on like this all night, then there will be trouble during the rush hour for all those struggling to get to work. I'm so glad that I have retired ! Mind you I live half way up a hill, so the road is nicely sloped and when snow falls, then gets hard packed and is basically solid ice, then there is quite a bit of entertainment viewing from our sitting room window ! Of course it is made even more entertaining when the gritting lorry doesn't attend to our local side roads.

With all the cut-backs by our council, the gritting lorries seem to only attend to the main roads ! Having said that, there was no gritting done on the A52 trunk road from Nottingham to Grantham and there certainly was no gritting on a nearby main road that our side road comes off, the last snow we had the other week. There were no end of skidding accidents and dozens of people complained bitterly to the local council, and the county council (who deal with all the county's gritting now), but I doubt very much whether there will be any improvement in the service !

I'm not sure how the weather is over in America or in other countries in Europe, but I expect they get it worse than the UK !

Looks like I'll be using my tumble drier tomorrow when I've done my clothes washing !
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Recycled Teenager
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    08-20-2017
    Local Time

Re: "The Friendly Café - Open for chinwaggin'

Crikey, I've just seen what the time is !!!!!! Time for bed ! Good night Jim Bob !

Banned
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    08-20-2017
    Local Time
    05:10 PM
    Gifts Boxing Gloves Cocktail Boxing Gloves Balloons Puppy Gift Car Cocktail

And what are you doing up so late eh Mrs ?

is starting the 2nd half

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    08-20-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Cake Gnome Gift Cake

I'll have a black coffee and a slice of carrot cake please

we have had snow here but not that bad, melted on the roads pretty quickly.

FOC THREAD PART1
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
    Martin Luther King Jr.

Recycled Teenager
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    08-20-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Namechange View Post
    And what are you doing up so late eh Mrs ?
    I could say the same to you innit !

Recycled Teenager
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    08-20-2017
    Local Time

Hi Kaz ! Yes it has snowed, but then it rained and now it's just yurgy wet and cold !

Recycled Teenager
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    08-20-2017
    Local Time

There must be something odd about the house next door to us ! The house is owned by a Housing Agency and they let it out to various tenants. The previous tenant, Jane, was living on her own after her offspring had flown the nest. She was quite a lonely person even though she used to go out a lot (mostly to the nearest pub !). She would get drunk and fall asleep, usually after she had put something in a saucepan (like a cook-in-the-bag something or other) and turned the ring on under the saucepan to heat up the contents ! Needless to say, the pan boiled dry and the contents started to singe then go black, giving off a very acrid smoke ! (Have you ever smelt boil-in-the-bag kipper when it has been boiled dry and the bag has melted away? - It's chokingly, lung-thumpingly, nauseatingly vile ! ).

She did this on a fairly regular basis, so much so that we got very concerned one time when we couldn't wake her with our hammering on the door or phoning her mobile, Chris had to climb through the kitchen window (left open a crack for the cat to get in and out), I phoned the fire brigade, Chris let me in the back door, then dealt with the smoking red hot pan while I went up stairs to check Jane (it's a split level house like ours). Then the fire brigade arrived and a big butch fireman was knocking on the front door ! It took them ages to get Jane awake. What a state to be in !

Jane was found a ground floor flat with one bedroom, ideal for her. The next tenants have been living next door for a few months now, and have been very quiet and considerate. There are three single sisters who actually keep themselves to themselves and cause no problems, until today. An awful acrid smell filtered through from next door. It was a sort of over-heated well-used oil stink. I bet whoever was in the house had fallen asleep. Chris rang their bell several times but couldn't get a reaction. He and Andy had to go out, so when they had gone I banged on the wooden door with my walking stick - it made quite a noise ! Then I called through their letter box "Is there anybody at home?" then there was a reply ! I said there was a terrible awful stink permeating into our house and were they OK. The person answered that she was opening the windows ! Good job she answered me, because had she not, then I would have rung the fire brigade !

The smell has now eased back , but when it was really heavy duty it got on my chest, and made us rather worried. I think I will advise them to get a smoke alarm or two - they're not expensive these days and they are very loud ! It is obvious to me that they haven't got a smoke alarm in their house ! We have 4 that are placed in strategic places.

It must be something to do with that house !

Banned
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    08-20-2017
    Local Time
    05:10 PM
    Gifts Boxing Gloves Cocktail Boxing Gloves Balloons Puppy Gift Car Cocktail

We were threatened with snow but then It rained.... again.

It got to the point last week after days and days of torrential rain that there was nothing else to do but buy 8 sacks of bark chipping to cover the mud quagmire that was once my garden.
    Today Is another filthy day out there but at least I haven't had 3 dogs up to their armpits In mud every time they go for a wee. That's If you can get them out for a wee. They look out at the rain and do a ' errrr nope' and then I feel cruel for pushing them out the door.
    I got all prepared for the birds as we were told we were getting snow as well with fat balls.

is starting another school year.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    08-20-2017
    Local Time
    11:10 AM
    Gifts Beer Burger Car Beer

(the door opens, and Saint strolls in, dusting snow off his jacket absently) What's this about "gritting lorries?" Oh, you mean the sand trucks. (Saint hangs up his coat on a hook and opens a Dr. Pepper) I know these things are bad for me but I've got to get some caffeine some way! I've just spent the morning underneath my truck, dropping the gas tank so that I could change out the fuel pump. Blasted engineers! Don't they think that someone might want to fix or maintain something that they made? I remember changing the fuel pump on my Camaro back in 1977. Two bolts and done! And it was on the side of the engine! Took me all of twenty minutes!

And the pricing! You know that fuel pump was $230 over the counter? And the shop wanted another $600 to put it in? Thank goodness for Amazon and YouTube! I got a new one for $100 and put it in myself after watching a youtube video on how to do it.

(Saint slumps into a chair and sips his Dr. Pepper.)

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    08-20-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

Register to remove this ad.
    In the downstairs lobby at the office there's a big TV (which is left on 24 / 7 - owned by the company downstairs), and when I came in this morning I noticed an item on the BBC News about there being a Yellow Snow Alert, which made me laugh for a start off (Alert - Don't eat yellow snow), yet despite all the warnings there's been no sign of it here yet. We've had a few days of bitter frost, but today all there was was a very light spitting, which actually felt quite refreshing after a long day in the office.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 96 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast