I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-19-2017
    Local Time
    08:41 PM
    Gifts Balloons Cake Gift

Re: The observation and asides thread

Someone will try to take one through airport security checks. That should be interesting.

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    09-20-2017
    Local Time
    01:41 PM

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    50% ? That's ridiculous. I thought it was bad here with EDF going up by 9% - and then a further 9%. Eon going up 15%. British Gas up 13% (and my own Utilita 2.98%).

The biggest rip off across the board is not the energy tariff itself, but the Standing Charges - where a property can be totally empty, but still typically clocking up £5 - £8 / week (Utilita has no Standing Charge).
    Have a look at the historical table
    https://www.aemo.com.au/Electricity/...ge-price-table

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    09-20-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Wandrin View Post
    Someone will try to take one through airport security checks. That should be interesting.

There's a rather deadly pen you can get through..... but this device has an ignition

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    09-20-2017
    Local Time

1Trillion tonne iceberg is about to float away from the antartic. Nobody knows whether its due to climate change or a natural break off. It will take half a century to discover its cause.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-20-2017
    Local Time
    04:41 AM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

I doubt it will have moved as much as ten miles by this time next year. And the nearest shipping lane must be several thousand miles north.

The calving of icebergs that size has happened continuously around the Antarctic coast ever since the continent became ice-covered tens of millions of years ago. None of this one or its predecessors was anchored, it's ice which has descended to the shoreline and floated out into bays while still attached to the glacier behind it. Eventually these floating edges tear away. What's left behind will tear away too in due course.

I'm sure there's a question relating to global warming but it's not whether the iceberg would have been created or how big it is. It might be whether the iceberg broke away a year earlier than it would have in a pre-industrial setting but I have no idea how anyone could test that. In fifty years you could ask whether the rate or size of iceberg calving has increased either locally or for the whole of Antarctica but I don't know how you'd test that either. What can definitely be estimated over that timescale is whether the ice mass sitting on Antarctica has increased or decreased. There was some talk a few years back that it has been increasing. If the air over Antarctica becomes wetter as global temperatures increase, perhaps it will result in more snow which will become locked in place as ice. The floating edges of the continent may fall away more quickly but the overall weight of ice on the continent could increase at the same time. Or maybe it won't, in which case sea levels worldwide will increase faster. Any money you put on how the volume of ice on Antarctica will vary over the next fifty years is a gamble, I don't think the modellers are good enough to know yet.

A thousand year prediction? The volume of ice on Antarctica will reduce. There will be a lot more icebergs though I expect they'll be on average a lot smaller than they used to be. Sea levels will rise. All of that will be a consequence of man-made global warming. But you only get huge trillion ton icebergs if you start with a stable ice shelf, and stable slow-moving Antarctic ice shelves will simply not exist any longer.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    09-20-2017
    Local Time

Yeah, its broken off the. "Ice shelf" , thats where it always breaks away. But the last time it happened we didnt know whart to measure or how to. This is the first break that has happened since the proper technology to measure it was invented.

The only worry is the fact that its so large. Therefore the ice that drifts down from the centre of antartica is not hitting an ice floor but going straight into the sea a lot sooner than it should . Its worrying because it means that shelf wont recover.

is starting another school year.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    09-19-2017
    Local Time
    09:41 PM
    Gifts Beer Burger Car Beer

Never thought I'd wish for a small asteroid strike, just the size of a building or so, and in the middle of the Atlantic ocean...That'd fix global warming for a few centuries.

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    09-20-2017
    Local Time

Was telling someone yesterday how i fix my own car. And it was agreed that just one job (replacing the oil filter, air filter and pv valve) i would have saved myself around $300 to $400 in mechanic costs. Granted, i deliberately buy older cars so i can get to the motor in the first place.

Does anyone else do their own service on their cars?

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    09-20-2017
    Local Time

Meanwhile....in Asia . The Indonesian president has adopted the philipines policy of murdering druggies. In phillipines vigilanty groups and police are allowed to shoot suspected drug dealers. Now the Indonesian president has given permission to his police force to shoot to kill drug suspects but only if they resist arrest .......but......especially if they are foreigners. We've seen two recent incidences that proved two foreigners having drugs planted on them by police.

And my boys wonder why i dont want them travelling to Asia.

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    09-20-2017
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    And then in Australia..... no more smoking in outdoor cafes .......and get this!......no smoking in beer gardens as of tomorrow.... well thats my pubdays gone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 57 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast