----

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    07:58 PM
    Gifts Beer Beer

Re: The observation and asides thread

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    anyone else notice the uptick in the accusations of famous men molesting, abusing, and harassing women?
    This is a scary trend. I think women have finally tired of being second-class citizens in the Western world, and are "taking it to the street" so to speak.
    Like waves in the ocean, this will pass followed by a different one. Fickled attention span directs the entertainment industry know as news.

I suspect a lot of it is by social media, passions of the mob/populace.

Just some thoughts.
    "The judge who always likes the results he reaches is a bad judge.".

Premium Member
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    07:58 PM
    Gifts Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I would not presume to judge Judaism, I'm in the same position as every other non-Jew in the historically Roman and Orthodox Christian world: that my ancestors persecuted them unjustifiably whenever they appeared, from the fall of the Second Temple until within living memory. Collectively we all owe an debt, part of which involves letting the remnant choose its own course.

The facts that Judaism is extremely reluctant to accept acolytes from outside and that any member can renounce Judaism free from legal sanction make it even less of my business to condemn those who choose to persist.
    As far as accepting proselytes, it depends. In the US there are three main bodies of Judaism practiced, each with their own requirements. Let's just say the Orthodox are the most restrictive, Conservative and Reform are generally accepting.

The Orthodox will not accept conservative or reform.

As far as leaving the fold, a doc on Netflix, One of Us. Now, this is an extreme example.

I think I could safely say almost all American Jews do not stand out among our fellow citizens.

Mormons, on the other hand, along with Bible Literalists and the dupes of Scientology, are comical buffoons designed to be laughed at, and all three groups are definitively evangelical.
    Last edited by spot; 11-12-2017 at 06:30 AM. Reason: replaced one missing quote termination tag for clarity
    "The judge who always likes the results he reaches is a bad judge.".

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time
    12:58 PM

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    I would not presume to judge Judaism, I'm in the same position as every other non-Jew in the historically Roman and Orthodox Christian world: that my ancestors persecuted them unjustifiably whenever they appeared, from the fall of the Second Temple until within living memory. Collectively we all owe an debt, part of which involves letting the remnant choose its own course.

The facts that Judaism is extremely reluctant to accept acolytes from outside and that any member can renounce Judaism free from legal sanction make it even less of my business to condemn those who choose to persist.
    As far as accepting proselytes, it depends. In the US there are three main bodies of Judaism practiced, each with their own requirements. Let's just say the Orthodox are the most restrictive, Conservative and Reform are generally accepting.

The Orthodox will not accept conservative or reform.

As far as leaving the fold, a doc on Netflix, One of Us. Now, this is an extreme example.

I think I could safely say almost all American Jews do not stand out among our fellow citizens.
    Bull****e
    Last edited by spot; 11-12-2017 at 02:26 AM. Reason: replaced one missing quote termination tag for clarity

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time
    01:58 AM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    Bull****e
    That's your opinion about whether we should condemn Jews who decide to remain a part of Judaism? Or have I misinterpreted your single-word response and if so what did you actually mean.

I edited back one missing quote termination tag in your quote, without which it wasn't possible to see who had said what. Perhaps there's still confusion because of the bolding which was not in what I originally wrote.

What I think tude wrote is that very few Jews in America are distinguishable from the mass of Americans, and that no non-Jew, Conservative Jew or Reform Jew can worship as part of an Orthodox community.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time

Collectively we all owe an debt,
    <------- it was that bit, I stopped reading after that . I owe nobody a debt that I didn't have a hand in harming.....where does that sort of thing stop? I did research into world wars via Australian newspapers (national archives) I'm not responsible for Russias' pogroms I'm not responsible for Germanys' crap, I'm not responsible for Vietnam nor Cambodia .....Now in saying that I put on the record . I am responsible for what happens in my society NOW....HERE and NOW. I'm an adult and have a voice and I voice it.

I just really hate hearing that "debt" stuff.

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time

Did you know that during an australian winter we have more snow cover than switzerland?..... that fact came from a 'tally ho' papers packet.

is needing a vacation...

I am:
    Tired

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    06:58 PM
    Gifts Beer Burger Car Beer

Okay I'm getting sick and tired of every thread becoming a religious argument. frod you're an evangelical troll.
    I'm glad somebody finally said it.

is needing a vacation...

I am:
    Tired

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    06:58 PM
    Gifts Beer Burger Car Beer

Did you know that during an australian winter we have more snow cover than switzerland?..... that fact came from a 'tally ho' papers packet.
    Oh come on. Everyone knows Australia is just one big beach all the way around, with an outback in the middle. Where is the snow? Ayers rock?

(PS just kidding!)

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time

My research for facts has changed ....so if tally ho ciggy papers states a fact, then it must be so!
    Now excuse me while i go off to check what interesting facts are on the packaging of the libra pads.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time
    01:58 AM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    After much thought, I have ordered a Santakini in good time for the festive season. There's a pub in town where it will definitely earn me a free pint at the bar. I need a volunteer to take photos for the thread.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

+ Reply to Thread
Page 70 of 71 FirstFirst ... 20 60 68 69 70 71 LastLast