Winter months-Florida, Summer months- New England
    Local Date
    10-22-2017
    Local Time
    05:13 PM
    Gifts Beer

How Powerful Do You Think You Are

To determine the answer, follow instructions below:

The instructions are these: “Hold up the index finger of your dominant hand and draw a capital E on your forehead. Do this as quickly as possible, without stopping to think.”

I’ll wait.

(It Is Impossible to Stop Comparing Yourself to Your Peers)

Now, consider the E you drew. If you’d had a marker and had actually drawn the letter on your forehead, would someone looking at your face see a regular E or a backward one?

Experts theorize that the former means you are more other-focused — that is, more easily able to see the world from another person’s perspective —

While the latter, drawn from your own vantage point, implies that you are more self-focused. And this, ties back to your perception of your own power.

The exercise is taken from a study two psychologists once did with New York University. Which was designed to determine whether powerful people are as adept at seeing things from another person’s perspective as the less powerful.

In an experiment, the researchers first either primed their participants to feel powerful, or not, and then asked them to take on this little E quiz.

Their results showed people who felt powerful were about three times as likely to draw the backward E compared to those who’d been made to feel less powerful.

And this suggests that “power makes people more focused on their own unique vantage point and oblivious to the perspective of others.”

So are you powerful?

(I am)
    Cars
    <"LIFE is SHORT, Make the most of it!!!" GET OUTTA HERE!>
    <Love living Large!>
    <Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!>

ZAP
    Currently Offline
    Supporting Member
    is a child of the universe

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-22-2017
    Local Time
    02:13 PM
    Gifts Paintbrush Cocktail Gift Naughty Mag Banana Paintbrush Gift Cocktail

Re: How Powerful Do You Think You Are

Quote Originally Posted by cars View Post
    to determine the answer, follow instructions below:

the instructions are these: “hold up the index finger of your dominant hand and draw a capital e on your forehead. Do this as quickly as possible, without stopping to think.”

i’ll wait.

(it is impossible to stop comparing yourself to your peers)

now, consider the e you drew. If you’d had a marker and had actually drawn the letter on your forehead, would someone looking at your face see a regular e or a backward one?

Experts theorize that the former means you are more other-focused — that is, more easily able to see the world from another person’s perspective —

while the latter, drawn from your own vantage point, implies that you are more self-focused. And this, ties back to your perception of your own power.

The exercise is taken from a study two psychologists once did with new york university. Which was designed to determine whether powerful people are as adept at seeing things from another person’s perspective as the less powerful.

In an experiment, the researchers first either primed their participants to feel powerful, or not, and then asked them to take on this little e quiz.

Their results showed people who felt powerful were about three times as likely to draw the backward e compared to those who’d been made to feel less powerful.

And this suggests that “power makes people more focused on their own unique vantage point and oblivious to the perspective of others.”

so are you powerful?

(i am)
    powerful!!!!

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-22-2017
    Local Time
    03:13 PM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Mine looks backwards in the mirror. Does that count?
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."
    - Anonymous

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-22-2017
    Local Time
    10:13 PM
    Gifts Beer Cake

Not surprisingly mine would look normal to everyone else. I'm a natural People Person.

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    10-23-2017
    Local Time
    08:13 AM

How is 'self absorbed' more 'powerful' ?
    That sounds very psychopathic to me.

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-22-2017
    Local Time
    03:13 PM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    How is 'self absorbed' more 'powerful' ?
    That sounds very psychopathic to me.
    They're not saying that "Self-absorbed" people are necessarily more powerful. They're saying that Powerful people are more self-absorbed. A fine point, to be sure.
    I see people all the time who are very self-centered and because of that, they are sometimes completely unaware of their surroundings and the other people around them.
    That means that others who ARE more aware usually end up adjusting their course or actions to accommodate the others, and consequently are more affected by those people. That affords a certain power factor to the space-cadets wandering through life completely unaware of their surroundings.
    Of course these same people are the ones that due to their complete lack of situational awareness are eventually taken completely by surprise when something they never saw coming smacks them upside the head.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."
    - Anonymous

Premium Member
    is Swimmingly

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    10-22-2017
    Local Time
    04:13 PM

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    They're not saying that "Self-absorbed" people are necessarily more powerful. They're saying that Powerful people are more self-absorbed. A fine point, to be sure.
    I see people all the time who are very self-centered and because of that, they are sometimes completely unaware of their surroundings and the other people around them.
    That means that others who ARE more aware usually end up adjusting their course or actions to accommodate the others, and consequently are more affected by those people. That affords a certain power factor to the space-cadets wandering through life completely unaware of their surroundings.
    Of course these same people are the ones that due to their complete lack of situational awareness are eventually taken completely by surprise when something they never saw coming smacks them upside the head.
    I instantly thought of it backwards...for everybody else....

is .

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-22-2017
    Local Time
    10:13 PM
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

Strange, my deliberate thought was to draw it so that it would be see correctly but, when the question came up, I realised that I'd drawn it backwards.

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    10-23-2017
    Local Time
    08:13 AM

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Ahhhhh........ my ex husband. Makes sense. I frew it so that it would be seen by someone looking at my forehead could see a proper E....... i discussed this and apparently my perception of having others see what im trying to communicate comes from learning sign when i was younger. Interesting.

ZAP
    Currently Offline
    Supporting Member
    is a child of the universe

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-22-2017
    Local Time
    02:13 PM
    Gifts Paintbrush Cocktail Gift Naughty Mag Banana Paintbrush Gift Cocktail

Register to remove this ad.
    I can write backwards and upside down. What does that mean?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast