Happy

Local Date
    10-21-2017
    Local Time
    09:32 AM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Re: Deliberate lying for amusement

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    Not very nice to cheer the death of another human being, whatever their ethics.
    I'm not annoyed by politicians, not even American politicians, nor by their Generals, nor by the leaders of the The Free Presbyterian Church of Ulster nor its American branch the Westboro Baptist Church. What gets under my fingernails is people who lie because they think it's funny to dupe people and confuse the record, and then add insult to injury when caught out by trying to justify their lies as satire.

For anyone else's hearse I'd take my hat off as it passes but not this one, Paul Horner chose to live beyond the pale, he doesn't qualify for a civilized response.

Neither would that bogus manipulator Steve Bannon for exactly the same reason. I could add other names. Kellyanne Conway. Ann Coulter. Some people just step over an edge and there's no way back. These are people who design lies.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    10-21-2017
    Local Time
    07:32 PM

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    "sky arts" "Urban Myths" jackson taylor brando "Ben Palmer" "written by Neil Forsyth"

That was my search string.

Anyway.

There has developed a trend whereby a writer makes up a fiction and pretends it relates history. Regardless of how many warnings may be placed around the depiction, the inside of the frame shows events occurring to real people which didn't happen.

Americans call this a satire, apparently. I have no idea why they call it that.

It is lying at its most obscene because it defends itself by claiming humor as excuse.

What it achieves is muddied water and insult. Every time. There are no exceptions. It is grotesquely tasteless and diminishes culture.

Neil "I’m sure it will find another home in the future" Forsyth should be ashamed of himself. Ben Palmer should never work in the entertainment industry again. Both have left the world slightly more stained than it was before they pranked it, and if Sky Arts ever needs an epitaph that will do nicely.

And yes, I did listen to Bob Servant. Though I disliked it I took no exception to it because it didn't pretend to be history - unlike Urban Myths.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...ichael-jackson

The only reason this Urban Myths episode was pulled is because they had a white actor playing Michael Jackson and some people made a fuss about that. I don't give a damn whether Michael Jackson was being played by his own long-lost identical twin or by Sarah Ferguson, that isn't the problem. The problem is lying into the historical record.
    And yet they teach Shakespeare in schools.
    What are they thinking????

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-21-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

I've seen quite a few very touching epitaphs on FaceBook - for people that never even existed. Yet they always seem to get some sort of sympathetic reaction about how the world will be worse off for his/her loss.

is IF YOU WANT TO ACCEPT JESUS'S GIFT OF SALVATION, PRAY THIS FROM YOUR HEART:“DEAR LORD JESUS, I BELIEVE YOU DIED AND ROSE FROM THE DEAD FOR MY SINS. PLEASE COME INTO MY HEART AND FORGIVE ME FOR MY SINS, I NOW RECEIVE YOU IN JESUS NAME AMEN.”

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-21-2017
    Local Time
    04:32 AM

Why lie when you can tell the truth? When you lie, people will begin to distrust you. It ruins your reputation.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-21-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by xfrodobagginsx View Post
    Why lie when you can tell the truth? When you lie, people will begin to distrust you. It ruins your reputation.
    Coming from a biblical fundamentalist that's quite funny.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41466140

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

is IF YOU WANT TO ACCEPT JESUS'S GIFT OF SALVATION, PRAY THIS FROM YOUR HEART:“DEAR LORD JESUS, I BELIEVE YOU DIED AND ROSE FROM THE DEAD FOR MY SINS. PLEASE COME INTO MY HEART AND FORGIVE ME FOR MY SINS, I NOW RECEIVE YOU IN JESUS NAME AMEN.”

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-21-2017
    Local Time

Coming from a biblical fundamentalist that's quite funny.

Wimbledon station commuters flee train in 'Bible' panic - BBC News
    Why would that be funny? Fundamentalists actually believe what they preach. It means that they are actually truthful about their beliefs.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-21-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by xfrodobagginsx View Post
    Why would that be funny? Fundamentalists actually believe what they preach. It means that they are actually truthful about their beliefs.
    It's still bogus scary claptrap though. The fact that they hold such a belief is a comment on their capacity to delude themselves with arrant nonsense - the idea that something claiming to be true is necessarily true because it claims to be. What kind of sense would you call that - common sense or nonsense?

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-21-2017
    Local Time

It's still bogus scary claptrap though. The fact that they hold such a belief is a comment on their capacity to delude themselves with arrant nonsense - the idea that something claiming to be true is necessarily true because it claims to be. What kind of sense would you call that - common sense or nonsense?
    It's not arrogant nonsense. Are you kiddiing me? I have been studying the Bible all of my life and I still learn things daily. I learn how much I don't know daily. It's amazing how it fits together. There isn't a person on earth who could have put it together without God Himself. It's not just because it claims to be. It's backed up by the evidence. I call it common sense.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-21-2017
    Local Time

A person? Scribes, lots of them. There is no God, there never was a God, all there ever was is lots of people believing there was a God.

I didn't say the delusion that God exists was arrogant nonsense, I said it was arrant nonsense, as is your suggestion that there is evidence to the contrary.

I've been reading Simon Schama's The Story Of The Jews this month, it's a triumph.

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    10-21-2017
    Local Time
    07:32 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    No no no no no........ the spagetti monster excists!!!! I know because ive seen images and depictiins of him. Ive seen what his diciples have written.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast