I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-11-2017
    Local Time
    05:09 PM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Deliberate lying for amusement

"sky arts" "Urban Myths" jackson taylor brando "Ben Palmer" "written by Neil Forsyth"

That was my search string.

Anyway.

There has developed a trend whereby a writer makes up a fiction and pretends it relates history. Regardless of how many warnings may be placed around the depiction, the inside of the frame shows events occurring to real people which didn't happen.

Americans call this a satire, apparently. I have no idea why they call it that.

It is lying at its most obscene because it defends itself by claiming humor as excuse.

What it achieves is muddied water and insult. Every time. There are no exceptions. It is grotesquely tasteless and diminishes culture.

Neil "I’m sure it will find another home in the future" Forsyth should be ashamed of himself. Ben Palmer should never work in the entertainment industry again. Both have left the world slightly more stained than it was before they pranked it, and if Sky Arts ever needs an epitaph that will do nicely.

And yes, I did listen to Bob Servant. Though I disliked it I took no exception to it because it didn't pretend to be history - unlike Urban Myths.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...ichael-jackson

The only reason this Urban Myths episode was pulled is because they had a white actor playing Michael Jackson and some people made a fuss about that. I don't give a damn whether Michael Jackson was being played by his own long-lost identical twin or by Sarah Ferguson, that isn't the problem. The problem is lying into the historical record.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    12-11-2017
    Local Time
    12:09 PM
    Gifts Kitten

Re: Deliberate lying for amusement

I suppose it's the fast track to content instead of having to develop characters. Most viewers of the shows you describe are obviously not as critical as you concerning cultural and personal ambiguities.

I'm often reluctant lately to refer to Wikipedia as a source, however, in this instance the site offers pretty good insight and information on satire. I know you understand what satire is and that was not why you commented on it as you did. I just thought I'd throw it in.

Calling personal character assassination satire is indeed abusive of the definition and demeans any social construct.

Satire is a genre of literature, and sometimes graphic and performing arts, in which vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, corporations, government, or society itself into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be humorous, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit to draw attention to both particular and wider issues in society.
    A feature of satire is strong irony or sarcasm—"in satire, irony is militant"[2]—but parody, burlesque, exaggeration,[3] juxtaposition, comparison, analogy, and double entendre are all frequently used in satirical speech and writing. This "militant" irony or sarcasm often professes to approve of (or at least accept as natural) the very things the satirist wishes to attack.
    Satire is nowadays found in many artistic forms of expression, including literature, plays, commentary, television shows, and media such as lyrics.

[...]

Satire and irony in some cases have been regarded as the most effective source to understand a society, the oldest form of social study.[10] They provide the keenest insights into a group's collective psyche, reveal its deepest values and tastes, and the society's structures of power.[11][12] Some authors have regarded satire as superior to non-comic and non-artistic disciplines like history or anthropology.[10][13][14] In a prominent example from ancient Greece, philosopher Plato, when asked by a friend for a book to understand Athenian society, referred him to the plays of Aristophanes.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-11-2017
    Local Time

I agree entirely with the quoted discussion of satire. I have no problem with any of that. What I object to is the construction of a lie in the semblance of reportage. I object just as much to the mislabeling of a lie as satire. Parody, burlesque, exaggeration and the rest need to be based on honest reality, not on falsification.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-11-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

I think you are confusing 'entertainment' with 'history'.
    Why didn't you complain about "Braveheart" for instance ? Or Ring of ring of roses ?
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

is needing a vacation...

I am:
    Tired

Local Date
    12-11-2017
    Local Time
    10:09 AM
    Gifts Beer Burger Car Beer

Are you referring to the "Post Truth" Era? The problem with lying, even for entertainment, is that if it is done too much, you begin to believe it yourself and act accordingly.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-11-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    I think you are confusing 'entertainment' with 'history'.
    Why didn't you complain about "Braveheart" for instance ? Or Ring of ring of roses ?
    The entire concept of Braveheart is repellent. I spit on the film and all who made a profit from it. There's not a single aspect of it that I'd defend. It was a deliberate lie from end to end with anachronistic and plain fictional plotlines throughout.

The reason I despise the "Urban Myths" program on Jackson, Taylor and Brando even more is that it deals with people still in living memory who cannot sue only because they're dead but have nevertheless been disgustingly insulted and gratuitously traduced. The real-life named people - Jackson, Taylor and Brando - have been pilloried in effigy in full view of their friends and relations.

The blurb from Sky claims their series to be "A COLLECTION OF ORIGINAL COMEDIES EXPLORING REMARKABLE EVENTS THAT MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE HAPPENED" - complete with capitals. No, Sky, it didn't and you knew it didn't. It is entirely fictional and the abuse of these real people is a disgrace.

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    12-11-2017
    Local Time
    12:09 PM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Oh, come on. Braveheart was a fun flick. A pretty good fictional story in which only the names reflected real characters and places from historic fables.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."
    - Anonymous

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-11-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Oh, come on. Braveheart was a fun flick.
    I wouldn't know, I haven't seen it.

is needing a vacation...

I am:
    Tired

Local Date
    12-11-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Burger Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    The entire concept of Braveheart is repellent. I spit on the film and all who made a profit from it. There's not a single aspect of it that I'd defend. It was a deliberate lie from end to end with anachronistic and plain fictional plotlines throughout.
    WHAT?! You mean to say it's not actual history? Whoa.

superstar
    is returning

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    12-11-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    Spot it is up to us the viewer to determine how we perceive fact versus fiction me thinks.
    I feel the same way about "Titanic" as you do about Braveheart.

I am taken back to a book titled "a million little pieces" by James Frey. An excellent book (now keep in mind Spot I suspect you and I have VERY different interests when it comes to what we may like to read). But this man claimed this was based on his life. This book went "viral" so to speak. It was even on Madame Oprah's hit list as an amazing book. Then one day Oprah lost her sh** on Frey because she found out that very few of the events and people Frey wrote about happened or existed.
    Frey came back with a very basic "well that is how they happened in my mind"

Again, it is how the viewer or reader chooses to perceive it.

And perhaps history isn't so accurate either... somebody had to put that historical "event or person" into writing and back then it was "their interpretation".

Yes sometimes it is insulting to our humble humanness to see "crap" deemed as historical, or even loosely based on history, but hey unless we lived that history what do we really know.

All things are open to interpretation I suppose.
    �You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�
    ― Mae West

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast