----

Local Date
    08-16-2017
    Local Time
    04:19 PM
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Re: European court Hijab Ban ?

Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    I think youll find 1corinthians ch 11 says to decide for themselves. Its very contradictory.
    Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.

10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

11 Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.

12 For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.

13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?
    I would dispute that it is saying it is the woman who gets to decide. In the jewish. christian, muslim religions women are subject to the will of men whom god has put over them.

Saw a discussion of al jazeera between an iranian woman and a french muslim woman, the latter objected because it is restricting her right to choose to wear a hijab and it was a requirement of islam. The iranian's position was no it isn't a requirement it's a stricture imposed by men to subjugate women neither was wearing one so she was pleased this has happened. I would agree more with the iranian I would dispute the right of any man to tell a woman who she can interact with and how she should behave. or what is "correct" bahviour. We all follow cultural norms, some are repressive does that mean we should respect the cultural norm of someone living in our society when it conflicts with the rights of individuals in their family? Our courts nowadays will protect a wife in an abusive relationship not so long ago they would not get involved as it was domestic and the husband had the right to control his wife. Is hijab wearing any different in principle?

What would you do if you were told you had to wear a tent on the beach?

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    08-16-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

This isn't about banning women wearing anything. It's about an employer being able to refuse individuals the right to advertise their religion in the work place.
    A while ago a women was allowed to wear a crucifix, presumably this ruling will cover her.
    Another women was sent home for failing to wear high heels
    There are rules about, wearing jewelery or covering hair while handling food, so if you enjoy wearing your long hair down and your diamond encrusted engagement ring all the time don't apply for work in a bakery.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    08-16-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

There are dress issues and there are religions ritual practices. Some religious ritual practices are quite simply impossible to allow these days. We must no longer kill the king when the crops fail. We must no longer sacrifice infants to Moloch to ward entrances. One day we might even abolish male genital mutilation.

Dress issues would all be a different matter of cultural conformity, none of it would relate to religious observance, were it not for the Sikhs. They are a recent faith invented by one person at one moment and that person chose to include, among several ritual demands, one relating to hair: "At the Amrit Sanchar in 1699, Guru Gobind Singh explained the reason for this: My Sikh shall not use the razor. For him the use of razor or shaving the chin shall be as sinful as incest.". I think if we focus on that and find a solution we can live with, the answer can extrapolate to every other case.

Could a Sikh switch to using a depilatory treatment instead, for instance, without breaking the condition imposed on him in 1699 by Guru Gobind Sing? I'm not saying he would necessarily want to - he may have cultural objections - but would his faith forbid him?
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    08-17-2017
    Local Time
    01:19 AM

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    I would dispute that it is saying it is the woman who gets to decide. In the jewish. christian, muslim religions women are subject to the will of men whom god has put over them.

Saw a discussion of al jazeera between an iranian woman and a french muslim woman, the latter objected because it is restricting her right to choose to wear a hijab and it was a requirement of islam. The iranian's position was no it isn't a requirement it's a stricture imposed by men to subjugate women neither was wearing one so she was pleased this has happened. I would agree more with the iranian I would dispute the right of any man to tell a woman who she can interact with and how she should behave. or what is "correct" bahviour. We all follow cultural norms, some are repressive does that mean we should respect the cultural norm of someone living in our society when it conflicts with the rights of individuals in their family? Our courts nowadays will protect a wife in an abusive relationship not so long ago they would not get involved as it was domestic and the husband had the right to control his wife. Is hijab wearing any different in principle?

What would you do if you were told you had to wear a tent on the beach?
    Oh no no no. I said the chapter. Not a couple of verses.

13. Jdge for yourselves, is it fitting for for a woman topray uncovered to god?
    14. Does not nature itself tach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonour to him; but if a woman has long hair it is a glory to her? Bcauseher hair is given her instead of a headdress.
    16. However, if a man seems to dispute for some other custom,we have no other, neither do the congregations of god.

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    08-17-2017
    Local Time
    01:19 AM

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    There are dress issues and there are religions ritual practices. Some religious ritual practices are quite simply impossible to allow these days. We must no longer kill the king when the crops fail. We must no longer sacrifice infants to Moloch ?
    WHAT?.......kill joy.

(Walks off to put the axe back into the shed).......

superstar
    is returning

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    08-16-2017
    Local Time
    09:19 AM
    Gifts Beer

All in all does it not boil down to why in hades won't these people "integrate"?
    If you don't like our culture, laws, beliefs etc, then don't move here???????

Here in Canada, our Royal Canadian Mounted Police had to allow the turban as part of the dress uniform??? WTF. We were Canadians first, and now we have to change??? This is just a wee sampling of what we have had to change to make others happy.
    �You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�
    ― Mae West

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    08-16-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by minks View Post
    All in all does it not boil down to why in hades won't these people "integrate"?
    Your turban-wearing RCMP gentlemen are Sikhs and I'm sure they're extremely integrated, they just happen to have their ancestral roots in Rajasthan where Sikhs happened instead of Berlin or Paris where they didn't. Wearing a turban is a consequence of being born a Sikh, it could happen to anyone. They are absolutely forbidden from having a haircut, to do that would be like a Christian burning a cross. Christians don't do that.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

superstar
    is returning

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    08-16-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer

what gives them the right to change the face of our History and representation though?
    ― Mae West

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    08-16-2017
    Local Time

In what way are they doing that. By wearing a turban?

superstar
    is returning

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    08-16-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    we have had the status symbol of the RCMP since the dawn of Canadian settlement. Even the "native American people" who were on the force were not changing the "look". I understand we have to play nice and show that we are nice and that we accept everyone as equal. (well once we became bleeding hearts we now have native American people on the force with the ceremonial braids)
    But honestly we have had others from all around the world enter this country to live and start new lives and none have forced change as much as (for lack of a better lumping of people) "brown folks" have.
    I am not saying stay away, I am saying we have our symbols and status's here, why do they insist on changing these for themselves.

Ah I am growing to be an intolerant redneck who is fed up with kissing everyone's collective a$$ just to make them feel welcome in my homeland. What can I say.
    ― Mae West

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast