I am:
    ----

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time
    02:17 AM
    Gifts Beer Cake

Re: European court Hijab Ban ?

If you want to nit-pick, does it even mention much about the word "Murder" in either the Bible or the Qu'ran, or to define the difference between Killing & Murdering?

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

You're talking about a translation. Each translator has his own bias.

The translators who made the King James Version in English chose the word "murder" to distinguish deliberate killings using a weapon, for example. Murder is the word chosen for what assassins do, and for those whose victims are innocent - orphans are murdered when widows and strangers are merely slain, in one verse. Nobody in the KJV ever orders someone to murder another person, they always order someone to kill, presumably because they always imply that the order they're giving is lawful (so there's nothing new there, we still make the same use of language today).

Execute, in English, is a euphemism for killing in certain circumstances. In the KJV the only things ever to get executed were judgements. Many groups of people, as well as animals, are slaughtered - when applied to animals it's one animal, when it's people it emphasizes lots of deaths.

So yes, the KJV certainly uses kill and murder as two different words for two different circumstances. How much that reflects the original Hebrew text of the Old Testament, or the Greek text of the New Testament, I don't know because I don't know either of them. The same problem applies to the Qur'an - Arabic will have different words for different types of killing and I don't know them, or where they're used in the original. Translators making English versions of the book will have made judgements. Between languages there are no direct equivalents, there can only be approximations and compromises.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    You're talking about a translation. Each translator has his own bias.

The translators who made the King James Version in English chose the word "murder" to distinguish deliberate killings using a weapon, for example. Murder is the word chosen for what assassins do, and for those whose victims are innocent - orphans are murdered when widows and strangers are merely slain, in one verse. Nobody in the KJV ever orders someone to murder another person, they always order someone to kill, presumably because they always imply that the order they're giving is lawful (so there's nothing new there, we still make the same use of language today).

Execute, in English, is a euphemism for killing in certain circumstances. In the KJV the only things ever to get executed were judgements. Many groups of people, as well as animals, are slaughtered - when applied to animals it's one animal, when it's people it emphasizes lots of deaths.

So yes, the KJV certainly uses kill and murder as two different words for two different circumstances. How much that reflects the original Hebrew text of the Old Testament, or the Greek text of the New Testament, I don't know because I don't know either of them. The same problem applies to the Qur'an - Arabic will have different words for different types of killing and I don't know them, or where they're used in the original. Translators making English versions of the book will have made judgements. Between languages there are no direct equivalents, there can only be approximations and compromises.
    Actually, Execute simply means "to Carry Out". In the matter of Capital Punishment, to carry out the sentence of the Court (i.e. Death). Technically, to imprison someone is also an Execution. It's just that Execution has become the abbreviation of such phrases as "Execution of a Death Sentence".
    Kill, Slay, Slaughter, or whatever term you choose to use are pretty generic. Murder specifically refers to killing with malice aforethought.

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time
    11:17 AM

I think if you ALL go through your bibles youll find there are exceprions to the rule and ordained by god.
    But as religions go you can kill masses of people Catholics go to Confession so are obsolved. Church of England believe the Crown is ordained by god so if you go against the crown you go against god and therefore your killing is permitted by god.

Or you can take the historical view of killing people is okay if a learned peeson states they are sub-human. Sub humans apparently dont have souls similar to animals.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    Church of England believe the Crown is ordained by god so if you go against the crown you go against god and therefore your killing is permitted by god.
    There's a rector down St Petherricks who'd better watch his back, if that's the case.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    There's a rector down St Petherricks who'd better watch his back, if that's the case.
    I wonder - is the state of being like a Rector classed as being Rectal?

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    I wonder - is the state of being like a Rector classed as being Rectal?
    Asking, possibly.

Perfectly good crossword clue, I'd say. "the state of being like a Rector": AS KING.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5