Happy

Local Date
    06-28-2017
    Local Time
    08:03 PM
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

Martin McGuinness

Sinn Féin's Martin McGuinness has died aged 66

Very mixed feelings about this passing according to todays news.

The question is, Would Northern Ireland be were it is now, if it hadn't been for the IRA and McGuinniss involvement earlier ?
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    06-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Re: Martin McGuinness

He and Gerry Adams were, as far as I'm aware, the ones who reached out to the British government to find a compromise and end up with no sectarian killings. Is that inaccurate?

What would you rather had happened? The struggle continued? The IRA unilaterally disbanded with Protestant supremacy retained in Northern Ireland? Or do you think equal rights already existed and the IRA was lying about discrimination.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    06-28-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    He and Gerry Adams were, as far as I'm aware, the ones who reached out to the British government to find a compromise and end up with no sectarian killings. Is that inaccurate?

What would you rather had happened? The struggle continued? The IRA unilaterally disbanded with Protestant supremacy retained in Northern Ireland? Or do you think equal rights already existed and the IRA was lying about discrimination.
    Thought it was me asking the question.
    Probably the way I phrased it put you off.

Could the peace talks have even happened without IRA violence ? Were they a bargaining tool ?
    He and Gerry Adams were famously high profile proponents of violence, before 'seeing the light'. All I am asking is if the violence was a means to an end ?

I don't know who 'reached out' first, but it needed a bold response.
    My personal opinion......that might have been forthcoming later.....was all those involved including the knob head Blaire, took a courageous chance in even contemplating entering talks in the first place. That alone is worth praise to all involved.
    The struggle continues still....as I understand it......peacefully. The aim of Republicans is to unite Ireland, and in time I think it will happen.....not in my lifetime.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    06-28-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    He and Gerry Adams were famously high profile proponents of violence, before 'seeing the light'.
    As was Nelson Mandela, if I recall. He too was concerned with the dismantling of systemic permanent institutional discrimination. The world, with the exception of white supremacists in South Africa, pretty much admires him for his struggle.

My reply was intended to lay out all three alternative answers to your question, I couldn't think of a fourth. The question marks were to ask which you'd have chosen, stood in their shoes. Unless, as I said, you think equal rights already existed in Ulster.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

is .

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    06-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

Thought it was me asking the question.
    Probably the way I phrased it put you off.

Could the peace talks have even happened without IRA violence ? Were they a bargaining tool ?
    He and Gerry Adams were famously high profile proponents of violence, before 'seeing the light'. All I am asking is if the violence was a means to an end ?

I don't know who 'reached out' first, but it needed a bold response.
    My personal opinion......that might have been forthcoming later.....was all those involved including the knob head Blaire, took a courageous chance in even contemplating entering talks in the first place. That alone is worth praise to all involved.
    The struggle continues still....as I understand it......peacefully. The aim of Republicans is to unite Ireland, and in time I think it will happen.....not in my lifetime.
    You might be surprised, it could be sooner than you think :-

The election saw an end to the unionist majority at Stormont, with Sinn Féin now holding just one seat fewer than the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP).
    Michelle O'Neill calls for 'urgent' referendum on Irish unity - BBC News

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    06-28-2017
    Local Time

Was the driving force behind the IRA civil rights, or the reunification of Ireland ?
    Discrimination was a rallying point to unite behind, I think it must have been a hangover from early British rule, and shameful on our part that it wasn't sorted out long ago.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    06-28-2017
    Local Time

Was the driving force behind the IRA civil rights, or the reunification of Ireland ?
    The driving force behind the IRA was the reunification of Ireland. The Troubles was a consequence of a refusal by the British government to end Protestant discrimination in Ulster against the Roman Catholic minority. The only common ground between those topics is the 1923 partition arrangement insisted upon by an intransigent extremist Orangeman called Edward Carson and his armed bully-boy followers, which created an artificial separate political entity in the one small area of Ireland that had a Protestant majority.
    Carson campaigned against Home Rule. He spoke against the Bill in the House of Commons and organised rallies in Ireland promoting a provisional government for "the Protestant province of Ulster" to be ready, should a third Home Rule Bill come into law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Carson

gmc
    Currently Online Now
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    06-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

The bully boy orangemen haven't gone away. I just hope they keep out of the scottish refrendum debate and any debate in ireland about unification is a peaceful one.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    06-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

Isn't it ironic that Martin McGuinness, rightly or wrongly, is being hailed as a perpetrator of Peace, after moving from the Terrorist approach, when Jeremy Corbyn who got them talking to each other in the first place in the pursuit of negotiating a Peace is derided by his opponents as allying himself with terrorists.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    06-28-2017
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    when Jeremy Corbyn who got them talking to each other in the first place in the pursuit of negotiating a Peace
    I wonder whether you could say what year you're referring to, or any reference online to the event you have in mind. I don't think it has a leg to stand on. It's an extraordinary claim, for which I have never heard any evidence at all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast