Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Scottish Surfer survival

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    I am:
    Happy
     
    Bruv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Kent..... South East England
    Posts
    11,472
    Local Date
    05-28-2017
    Local Time
    01:21 PM
    Points
    59,262
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

    Scottish Surfer survival

    When I saw this on the news my first reaction was it was another hoax or something like that missing rower trying to stitch up the insurance company for his life insurance.

    This guy survived in the Irish Sea for 32 hours over night, as I watched the video of his account of the helicopter rescue, it made me choke up.

    Amazingly lucky bloke. HERE
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    is yep.........Me too
     
    I am:
    Awesome
     
    magentaflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Vic Aus
    Posts
    989
    Local Date
    05-28-2017
    Local Time
    10:21 PM
    Points
    5,636

    Re: Scottish Surfer survival

    Just watching that on our news now....bloody hell thats one helluva lucky man. 20 km away from the coast? Thats a chilly night.
    Our surfers get taken by sharks....15 year old girl is the latest.

  3. #3
    gmc
    Currently Offline
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    I am:
    ----
     

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    12,806
    Local Date
    05-28-2017
    Local Time
    01:21 PM
    Points
    25,670
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

    Re: Scottish Surfer survival

    It wasn't luck he survived so long he was wearing the right equipment in the first place. Lucky they found him perhaps but what do you call it when he got swept out to sea in the first place katma?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    I am:
    Happy
     
    Bruv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Kent..... South East England
    Posts
    11,472
    Local Date
    05-28-2017
    Local Time
    01:21 PM
    Points
    59,262
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

    Re: Scottish Surfer survival

    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    It wasn't luck he survived so long he was wearing the right equipment in the first place. Lucky they found him perhaps but what do you call it when he got swept out to sea in the first place katma?
    Is the katma a joke or a spelling error for karma ?

    A glance at the Donaghadee Lifeboat website for survival times in the Irish sea put it at less than an hour even in summer time, of course that is without the right gear.
    But considering his extremities,hands and feet, are exposed and it is just early spring, I still reckon it was lucky he could still cling to the board after so long, and that the helicopter spotted him too.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

  5. #5
    gmc
    Currently Offline
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    I am:
    ----
     

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    12,806
    Local Date
    05-28-2017
    Local Time
    01:21 PM
    Points
    25,670
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

    Re: Scottish Surfer survival

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    Is the katma a joke or a spelling error for karma ?

    A glance at the Donaghadee Lifeboat website for survival times in the Irish sea put it at less than an hour even in summer time, of course that is without the right gear.
    But considering his extremities,hands and feet, are exposed and it is just early spring, I still reckon it was lucky he could still cling to the board after so long, and that the helicopter spotted him too.
    Karma, typing error on my part. But it wasn't luck rather it was good preparation. The bad luck was being carried out to sea in the first place.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    I am:
    Happy
     
    Bruv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Kent..... South East England
    Posts
    11,472
    Local Date
    05-28-2017
    Local Time
    01:21 PM
    Points
    59,262
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

    Re: Scottish Surfer survival

    Bugger me man.....you are a Scot you must know about cold..........how did he manage to stay clear of the water and remain on the board for 30 odd hours ?
    Are those suits heated ?
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

  7. #7
    gmc
    Currently Offline
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    I am:
    ----
     

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    12,806
    Local Date
    05-28-2017
    Local Time
    01:21 PM
    Points
    25,670
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

    Re: Scottish Surfer survival

    Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    Bugger me man.....you are a Scot you must know about cold..........how did he manage to stay clear of the water and remain on the board for 30 odd hours ?
    Are those suits heated ?
    I don't know enough to answer the question about the wet suit but knowing if you didn't stay on the board you were dead is I suspect a good incentive. For myself I'm loathe to go paddling on the beach never mind surfing, tried wind surfing in a wet suit it was alright until you stopped or in my case never actually started - I think my longest run was 50 feet.

    Have had a couple of closeish calls while hill walking the biggest risk was actually the people I was with panicking and doing stupid things.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.5.2